18 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2017 12:10 PM by uplinkpdx

mercury transmit issue - 2nd monitor won't play on 2nd monitor (!)

zenjep Level 1

Hi there

Having an issue with mercury transmit. Am attempting to get playback on my second monitor out of after effects, however all it will do once Transmit is activated is display the feed overlaid on the same screen (i.e. my 'home' screen) rather than on the second monitor.

Have tried every setting I can find, varied preferences, monitor locations, screen sizes etc but nothing seems to work. It works absolutely fine out of Premiere so it is purely an After Effects issue. It is outputting via HDMI to a Panasonic Viera monitor and am working on a new Mac Pro 3Ghz 8-Core Xeon E5 with dual AMD FirePro D700 cards.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted!

• 1. Re: mercury transmit issue - 2nd monitor won't play on 2nd monitor (!)
          Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

Which version of After Effects are you using? (Choose About After Effects from the After Effects menu, and give the exact version number.) What version of Mac OS X are you using? (Choose About This Mac from the Apple menu, and give the exact version number.)

Please provide a screenshot of the Preferences > Video preview pane.

An important note: Mercury Transmit will not use a monitor on which the main application frame is being used. In other words, you can't have the main After Effects interface stretched across both monitors. Floating windows do not affect this.

• 2. Re: mercury transmit issue - 2nd monitor won't play on 2nd monitor (!)
            zenjep Level 1

Hi there Tim, thanks for getting back

Am using the latest version (13.2.0.49) on Yosemite v 10.10.2. Have taken some screenshots for you of the video preferences panel as requested (showing the screen arrangement, let me know if you need to see anything else) and also of what I see when I implement mercury transfer within After Effects (before and after) along with how I have my screens set up. As you can see I am not flowing the After Effects interface from one screen to the next.

Look forward to your thoughts.

Preferences

1.png

Interface before I activate mercury transmit

2.png

Interface after I activate it

3.png

My monitors side by side

4.png

• 3. Re: mercury transmit issue - 2nd monitor won't play on 2nd monitor (!)

Thanks for the screenshots. This does help demonstrate the problem. Can you provide a screenshot of the Video Preview preferences in After Effects, the dialog where you enable Mercury Transmit? Also the same from Premiere Pro: Preferences > Playback.

That the comp is being previewed, but on the wrong monitor, tells me that After Effects is communicating the frames correctly to Mercury Transmit, but something between Mercury Transmit and the OS or monitor is not returning the correct location to draw the frames.

One test I'd like you to try, only to get results not as a solution, is to move the OS primary screen to the Panasonic monitor; move the menu bar in the System Preferences > Display > Arrangement pane to the smaller monitor. Restart After Effects and enable Mercury Transmit. If it doesn't work immediately, try both combinations of After Effects on one monitor and Mercury Transmit on the other.

I also see that the Panasonic monitor has letterbox bars above and below the desktop, which is a bit unusual. What is the native resolution of the monitor, and what resolution is it set to in System Preferences? What happens if you change the resolution?

• 4. Re: mercury transmit issue - 2nd monitor won't play on 2nd monitor (!)
                zenjep Level 1

Hi there Tim - apologies for the substantial delay in getting back to, have had the flu for the past couple of weeks and only just getting back in to things!

In answer to your requests, here is the screenshot of the prefs panel from After FX

Screen Shot 2015-02-20 at 14.11.41.png

And from Premiere -

Screen Shot 2015-02-20 at 14.12.45.png

Tried alternating After Effects / OS locations as you suggest but still has the same results. The Panasonic is a 720p monitor. Appreciate the settings are set for a 1080 destination and you could understandably think this may have something to do with the fault in both respects except a) you don't seem to be able to change this and b) again, seems to work just fine in Premiere.

Look forward to your thoughts

Many thanks

Zen

• 5. Re: mercury transmit issue - 2nd monitor won't play on 2nd monitor (!)

Zen, glad that you're feeling better.

Only one thing sticks out to me right now: if you disable Adobe DV in the After Effects preferences, does that change the problem?

• 6. Re: mercury transmit issue - 2nd monitor won't play on 2nd monitor (!)
                    zenjep Level 1

Hi Tim

Sadly not - have tried every permutation possible and still no joy.

It appears to be that for some reason After Effects is simply refusing to gang the feed to the second monitor, even though it can see it is there, and is instead playing it as an overlay on the same monitor. One thing to note is I cannot interact with the feed at all - I can't click on it or scale it or similar, there are no hot points that allow me to do anything with it.

Have been working in post and using After FX for nearly 20 years so I'm no noob, but for the life of me can't discern any reason why it should be having problems, especially when it works fine through Premiere. My next port of call is to try it with a different second monitor and see what happens there - if it works then it is obviously an issue with the monitor itself, if not then its back to square one. Will let you know how I get on.

• 7. Re: mercury transmit issue - 2nd monitor won't play on 2nd monitor (!)
                      zenjep Level 1

FYI - trying a different monitor didn't work either, same issue. Oh well!

• 8. Re: mercury transmit issue - 2nd monitor won't play on 2nd monitor (!)

How is the monitor physically connected to the Mac Pro? Directly into the HDMI port, or via a splitter or adapter or other?

This is not a problem we've heard reported before with the Mac Pro, so I'm looking for what's different about your configuration that is leading After Effects to misconfigure the output.

Have you tried resetting the preferences for After Effects or reinstalling?

• 9. Re: mercury transmit issue - 2nd monitor won't play on 2nd monitor (!)
                          zenjep Level 1

Hi Tim

It's connected directly via HDMI, no splitters or adapters. Have not set up anything out of the ordinary and as the result has been the same using two different monitors this leads me to believe its an issue on the mac/software side. Have re-set the preferences but no joy there either - would ideally want to avoid having to go through a complete re-install if at all possible and I would be very surprised if that fixed it anyway as the prefs reset effectively does the same thing really.

It's a bit of a poser.

• 10. Re: mercury transmit issue - 2nd monitor won't play on 2nd monitor (!)
                            zenjep Level 1

Hi Tim - just wondered if you had any more ideas on the issue or is this a head-scratcher with no resolution?

• 11. Re: mercury transmit issue - 2nd monitor won't play on 2nd monitor (!)

My apologies for the lack of response. I haven't forgotten about this, but I've been rather busy. My next step is to try to replicate your configuration, which means rounding up the appropriate hardware or a close approximation.

If you have other monitors you could try connecting to the Mac Pro's HDMI output, I would be interested in the results.

• 12. Re: mercury transmit issue - 2nd monitor won't play on 2nd monitor (!)

OK, I just tried but was not able to reproduce the problem.

Two differences between my setup and yours: the Mac Pro I tested was the 6-core 3.5Ghz model with dual AMD D500 graphics cards, not the 8-core dual D700; and I was using a 1080i monitor.

Reviewing this thread so far, the thing that stands out to me most is that you say your Panasonic monitor is 720p but reports as 1080.

- What is the model number of the monitor?

- Please provide a screenshot of System Preferences > Display for that monitor.

I'll note that I tested my monitor at 1920x1080 and 1280x720, neither case failed.

Other things I suggest you try:

- Remove all scripts and plug-ins from After Effects, and test again.

- Pull out the entire prefs folder; Users/userName/Library/Preferences/Adobe/After Effects/13.2. Let After Effects rebuild this from scratch (but don't throw the old one away). Put the old one back if this doesn't help.

- Pull out the Users/userName/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common folder. This contains a variety of caches. Put it back if this doesn't help.

- Reinstall. Yes, I know it's a pain, but I can't rule out that a component of After Effects is not misbehaving in some way.

• 13. Re: mercury transmit issue - 2nd monitor won't play on 2nd monitor (!)
                                  zenjep Level 1

Hi again Tim, thanks for getting back. Sorry for my delay, been out of the office the past few days.

Regarding the monitor, its a Panasonic Viera TX-19LXD8. Bear in mind I have also tried this with a completely different monitor (a Samsung) and got the same problem so I don't think its purely down to the monitor itself. And of course it still works fine through Premiere, which to me would indicate it's a software issue with After Effects rather than anything else.

Here's a snapshot of the prefs as requested - have tried all possible permutations from within there and nothing worked. One interesting thing to note however on that point is that when I change the screen size/resolution from within the monitor prefs dialogue, it also changes the size of the feed screen on the other monitor, which would indicate there is some kind of link going on, albeit one I suspect is being driven by what After Effects is telling it to do rather than anything native to the monitor.

Screen Shot 2015-03-11 at 12.06.47.png

Have tried removing all the prefs, plug ins, common folder as you suggested, still no joy. Have also completely uninstalled and the re-installed After Effects in its entirety and still the same result.

If I had any hair left I'd probably be pulling it out.

• 14. Re: mercury transmit issue - 2nd monitor won't play on 2nd monitor (!)

Thanks for the screenshot, Zen.

Given all the troubleshooting you have done, and the fact that I can not reproduce the problem, I'm at a loss for an explanation. What appears to be happening is that After Effects is using incorrect coordinates for the second monitor. Whether it is receiving incorrect coordinates from Mac OS or it is incorrectly adjusting the coordinates itself, I can't tell.

That's not to say I'm out of ideas yet.

One question is what do you have plugged into the Thunderbolt ports on the Mac Pro? I assume your primary monitor is connect to one, but what else is connected and which ports are they plugged into?

There are 6 Thunderbolt ports on the Mac Pro, but they only serve 3 Thunderbolt busses, and the HDMI shares one of the busses (ports 1 & 3 are bus 1; ports 2 & 4 are bus 2; ports 5, 6, & HDMI are bus 0). It's recommended you do not have more than one display device connected to a single bus.

So, if you have more than one display device connected to a single Thunderbolt bus, or if your primary display is on bus 0, try changing the ports the displays are plugged into.

Here's a number of other ideas and questions off the top of my head:

- In the Preview panel, is the Full Screen option enabled?

- In System Preferences > Display, for that monitor, what happens if you set the Resolution to Scaled and set the resolution to 1280x720, or any other value?

- Try creating a new user account, and test After Effects under that account. Sometimes there are non-obvious preferences or settings, this is the easiest way to isolate to that.

- Try resetting the SMC and/or NVRAM (PRAM):

-- https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

-- https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

• 15. Re: mercury transmit issue - 2nd monitor won't play on 2nd monitor (!)
                                      seraph Level 1

I am having this exact same problem with the 8-core MacPro. I ended up fixing it by going to System Preferences, Mission Control, and disabling Displays have separate spaces

This is not ideal at all, but, for the sake of editting and compositing, it's what needs to be done.

Funny, depending on where the Menu bar was in System Preferences, Displays, Arrangement, - the opposite monitor would contain the Video Preview. That was an easy enough fix, but, this would only happen if I had After Effects in that space "Space" or "Monitor."  The moment I moved AE into the opposite monitor the video preview would disappear.

Frustrating

It seems CC2014 does not like Mac's new separate Spaces thing

• 16. Re: mercury transmit issue - 2nd monitor won't play on 2nd monitor (!)
                                        cadfactory Level 1

Oh I am havin this problem now, the changes in Mission Control haven't helped.  Has anyone else had this issue?

• 17. Re: mercury transmit issue - 2nd monitor won't play on 2nd monitor (!)
                                          Hills_likes_avid_:p Level 1

I'm using Premiere pro 2017 with windows 10 and I'm having this problem. Playback only happens on the monitor that my timeline/

program viewer.

I'm getting round the problem by cloning my main monitor, but it would be much better to have Mercury Transmit actually working...

windows_settings.JPG

• 18. Re: mercury transmit issue - 2nd monitor won't play on 2nd monitor (!)
                                            uplinkpdx Level 1

We're seeing this problem appear now in our facility.  It's not happening with Adobe AfterEffects, but with Premiere.  It started after the user ran the Dell Performance Optimizer.  It's a 3 monitor setup.  Our workaround was to open the Reference monitor window, scale it full, and gang it to the timeline.

For a short time we thought we had it fixed. I disconnected the monitor used for Mercury Transmit preview and reattached it. It worked until the user rebooted the machine. Now we're back to it not working and were unable to replicate the results we had yesterday.