12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2015 8:09 AM by A.T. Romano

What computer do I use for Premier elements 11

Atlcenter

I find that my Dell Studio 1555 becomes jerky or stops and starts when in the editing mode of premier elements. Its a 2Ghz, 4 GB machine. The 1555 exceeds the minimum capability by a good margin so  I'm not sure where the limitation exist. ie: memory, video card, the software itself. Is the jerky start/stop motion normal? The Dell 1555 has no problem when streaming from youtube or from netflix etc. It only happens when using video editing software.

My question is, If it is the computer then what computer or specification do I need to keep the video from being jerky during editing playback.

If you can suggest some guidance I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

• 1. Re: What computer do I use for Premier elements 11
          Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What is the properties of your source media (type and codec)?

Where is the media from?

Have you rendered the timeline?

• 2. Re: What computer do I use for Premier elements 11
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Aticenter

Please refer to System Requirements for Premiere Elements 11. Depending on the computer resource demands of the source media, the minimum may not be enough.

System requirements | Adobe Premiere Elements

From the computer point of view, try to approach at least dual core processor with 3.2 GHz, 8.00 GB installed RAM, and hard drive capacity of  1 TB.

Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

From the video point of view, the usual drill

a. Is your video card/graphics card driver version up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card? See Device Manager/Display Adapters

for full details of the card(s) situation.

b. What are the properties of your source media (including file extension, file size, and duration)? Knowing the brand/model/settings for the camera that recorded the source media would be helpful. What is the project preset? Are you looking a Timeline rendered or unrendered content?

c. Are you working with a pen and tablet device or mouse?

Please review and consider the above for starters and then we can decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: What computer do I use for Premier elements 11
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Aticenter

I did not see Peru Bob's reply until after I had posted mine. Looks like we were both heading to you will the same essentials to try to get at your situation.

ATR

• 4. Re: What computer do I use for Premier elements 11
                whsprague Level 4

Hopefully adding to what has already been said, the cheapest thing you can try is adding RAM.  I had a Toshiba laptop powered with an i5 processor that came with 4GB.  Upping it to 8GB helped with editing HD footage.

• 5. Re: What computer do I use for Premier elements 11
                  Atlcenter Level 1

Good answers all but in response to AT:

I dove deeper into the performance of the CPU and memory by using windows performance facility and saw that when the editing mode with video running, the CPU is running 95% and the memory usage is 75% so it looks like I'm running out of the CPU's ability to keep up with the data rate needed for smooth video. That's my interpretation anyway.

The file is a mp4 HD that came from a Garmin Virb action camera set to 1080 and 30fps. The uncut duration is 15 minutes. I cut out about 5 minutes. That's the limit of my knowledge of this file. It has been rendered.   I am just using a mouse as the pointing device.

So my question is there some setting in elements that can help this or am I against the limits of the computer?  Video card is really a set of chips (mobile intel (R) 4 series express chipset family. What ever that is?) that use the motherboard's memory. I believe the 4GBs of ram I now have is the most I can put in it.

Thanks,

• 6. Re: What computer do I use for Premier elements 11
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Atlcenter

Thanks for your follow up.

You probably have, but just in case..

1. Seek a free consultation with the following to evaluate your motherboard RAM module slots and just how far they can be upgraded.

Also, check with the computer manufacturer on just how much installed RAM will supported.

Welcome to Crucial USA

(I post that link for informational and non promotional reason)

2. Do you know what video compression the Garmin Virb action camera uses with its .mp4 file extension? What are the recording

modes on the camera? Does the 1080p30 come with a choice of bitrates, if so, then try some of those choices that come with a lower bitrate.

3. Have you gone through computer optimization with what you have

a. free ccleaner run through

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

b. Local Disk C Properties/Tools/Error Check as well as Defragmentation

4. If you use source media from other than the Garmin Virb action camera, do you see better Premiere Elements performance?

Please consider and then let us let us know of your progress as your schedule permits.

Thank you.

ATR

• 7. Re: What computer do I use for Premier elements 11
                      Atlcenter Level 1

ATR

I ran some MP4 files that came from another project and another camera (in the edit mode) that I did that I forgot I had and it had the same issues. I just don't understand why I can stream video or run the "compiled" version of a file and it does not have this delay issue.

I will try your pc clean up suggestions and get back with you.

Thanks,

• 8. Re: What computer do I use for Premier elements 11
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Atlcenter

Thanks. We will be watching for further developments.

But, I just wanted to make sure of one of the details mentioned earlier when I wrote

Are you looking a Timeline rendered or unrendered content?

ATR

• 9. Re: What computer do I use for Premier elements 11
                          Atlcenter Level 1

Well, I found the problem. Its a bit embarrassing to say but I have a habit of not shutting the PC down but only putting it to sleep because win 7 takes so long to get up and running.. I restarted the studio 1555 and then started Premier elements and the video runs smooth now.I guess when you put the PC to sleep it does not release resources as it does when shutting it down. In most cases I can get by with sleep.

So, Thanks for all the suggestions.

Great forum!

• 10. Re: What computer do I use for Premier elements 11
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Atlcenter

Wonderful news of your improved Premiere Elements performance related to choice for shutting down the PC.        

You mention Sleep versus Shutdown. Just checking...have you been using Hibernate instead of Sleep?

Best wishes as you move forward in your Premiere Elements projects.

Your follow up was appreciated by all.

ATR

• 11. Re: What computer do I use for Premier elements 11
                              Atlcenter Level 1

It is definitively sleep that I use.

• 12. Re: What computer do I use for Premier elements 11
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Atlcenter

Thanks for the confirmation on your helpful contribution.

Good information to have and should be appreciated by all.

Best wishes

ATR