9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2015 7:54 PM by Bill Gehrke

New rig nightmare.

null void

I've spent the past 10 months filming a run n gun/interview based activist film and needed to buy a laptop capable of dealing with editing on the hoof so i opted for the MSI GT72.

CPU: Sharkbay Core i7-4870HQ (2.5GHz - 3.7GHz)

Display: 17.3" FHD, Anti-Glare (1920*1080) eDP IPS

Memory Supplied: 4 x 8GB

Graphics Chipset: NVIDIA GeForce GTX980M (Maxwell)

Graphics Memory: GDDR5 8GB

Storage: 4 x 128GB SSD + 1 x 1TB 7200RPM

This thing is blazing fast and is more than capable of meeting my requirements but where im having issues is with the SSDs. They came pre configured in RAID 0 and less than 30 days after receiving this machine one of the SSDs died whilst using Premiere and now a week on a second has gone whilst using photoshop, i'm not sure the incidents are connected but it certainly has given me food for thought which leads me here to ask this question;

i have 4x128gb SSDs and a 1tb 7200 rpm drive, what would my best disk setup be? RAID 0 is out as far as im concerned, twice bitten, thrice shy lol.

Thanks in advance for any help received

• 1. Re: New rig nightmare.
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Must be a terrible lot of SSD's.  Let us know the manufacturer and model number so we can avoid them.  I am assuming they are m.2 versions.  I would suggest one for OS/Applications and if you still have 4 all like, a second one for daily backup and the other one for your current project and the fourth for a daily backup to it

• 2. Re: New rig nightmare.
            Alexander Eberhard Level 1

Get Samsung 850 pro series SSD. Very reliable and fast for CC.

• 3. Re: New rig nightmare.

Sorry Alexander but the Samsung 850 Pro while it is one of the best, is not available in the required m.2 format that would be required to have five drives in a laptop.  What you really want is the Samsung XP941 as it is a fantastic SSD.  With our Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM) I am getting 900 MB/sec write rate exporting from Premiere, no RAID necessary to achieve twice the write performance of the 850 Pro.

• 4. Re: New rig nightmare.
                JFPhoton Level 3

...yes....Bill would be correct regarding the Samsung XP941....if you can get one, or, even the new XP951. I see 3 256 GB XP941 units available for $250 right now on Amazon....512GB for over $600.  Crucial DOES make M.2 SSDs, however, the 128 GB version only writes at just over 300MB/sec. compared to 500 for the larger version M.2 SSD. I read at B&H Photo that the 256 GB Crucial M.2 SSD is now discontinued.

I see tonight a newer 512GB Crucial M.2 M600 SSD is available at "Next Warehouse" for $326. Two of those in RAID 0 would give over 1GB/sec. read and write speeds at an expensive price for 1 TB of storage : $652 !!! Your factory Lite-on SSDs are probably not as good as the Crucials PLUS I have read that these M.2 SSDs HEAT UP pretty good,so, maybe THAT affected yours, with 4 running at the same time in RAID 0. I would go with a single XP 941 to replace that RAID 0 mess...like Bill advised. Then, maybe replace the 7200 rpm spinner with a 2.5 inch M550. Use external ports for backing up

Welcome to NextWarehouse.com 

• 5. Re: New rig nightmare.
                  Alexander Eberhard Level 1

Right, you on laptop. Sure, Bill is correct, just possible going m.2 drives.

Here is a pretty good review on the M.2 Crucial M600.

• 6. Re: New rig nightmare.
                    vicpostprod

Hi guys,

sorry to highjack but I am interested on mounting some XP 941 on a new tower PC to be assembled.

My question is: how can you put several of those when most Mobo only have one slot for M2 PCIe port?

I am interested on a X99 platform and the only mobo I have found that allows 2 M2 PCIe ports is the Asus X99 Deluxe and still the second port requires an add on card.

Am I getting it right? How is it possible to install more than two XP941?

• 7. Re: New rig nightmare.

@JFPhoton:  Newegg has both the 128 GB and the 512 GB XP941 available here in the US.  I have a 256 GB that is nothing short of fantastic.  I notice that the 128 GB has much reduced read and right rates.  This is plugged into in my X99 motherboard.  I do not believe there is such a thing as a XP951,did you mean SM951?  This even much  better SSD is now only available to manufactures, but I have one on order.  Originally (last month) they quoted me 16 weeks delivery, but I have ordered it because it has phenomenal  read and write rates.

@vicpostpro:  I have just received a PCIe card that mounts an m.2 SSD card and plugs into any x4 (or better) PCIe slot.  As soon as i get a chance I will see if it can do as well as a native m.2 x4 slot on the motherboard.

• 8. Re: New rig nightmare.
                        vicpostprod Level 1

Thanks for your input Bill, very interesting.
                        Please keep us updated on this card

• 9. Re: New rig nightmare.

Well tonight I installed my new Addonics ADM2PX4 PCIe x4 to m.2 adapter card in my X99 motherboard with the 256 GB Samsung XP941 and ran my Premiere Pro disk-intensive application based benchmark and it passed with flying colors.  Previously I had run the XP941 in the motherboards m.2 socket so this was an experiment to see if I could achieve the same results by using a PCIe adapter card.  Both methods recorded slightly over 900 MB/seconds in this write intensive benchmark.  Now if I could only get my hands on one of the next generation a Samsung SM951 (I do have one on order with expected delivery in April--hopefully).  I bought this card directly from Addonics for $27.