8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2015 3:09 PM by dummergold

Illustrator layers only visible one frame

dummergold Level 4

After Effects 2014.2 version 13.2.0.49

Illustrator 2014.1.1 version 18.1.1

So, I started off posting in the wrong forum (Illustrator) and with that

question, seemed to jumped that hurtle, but encountered another.

My first problem was importing an Illustrator layered image as 'Composition

- Retain layer sizes' and had to check off the sequence options as

'Illustrator/PDF/EPS Sequence' in order to keep the layers in the proper

positions (or all layers centered around individual anchor points).

Another problem I had with that was all my layers became mixed - so my

solution was to bring them into the comp in a manual order.

So, now that I have the Illustrator layers in my After Effects comp, the

layers only remain visible for one frame.

I have my comp set for a minute. I started playing with opacities and can't

get past the 'one frame visibility'.

My plans are to 'draw on' the guitar I have drawn in Illustrator, by

keyframing the layer opacities.

I have tried the Animation/Keyframe Assistant/Sequence Layers but I am

missing something.

I want to try other effects that I do not remember the specific effect name

(to draw on the guitar layers), but first I need to start with having my

layers visible for more then the one frame.

What have I missed?

• 1. Re: Illustrator layers only visible one frame
          dummergold Level 4

After Effects.JPG

I also need to lower the image as the top string is clipped and need to work on my process with that also.

• 2. Re: Illustrator layers only visible one frame
            dummergold Level 4

After Effects2.JPG

I stretch out the timeline and see the frame length. I usually am able to stretch the time of the image to the comp length, but thinking the illustrator layer needs to be approached differently.

• 3. Re: Illustrator layers only visible one frame
              dummergold Level 4

So, if importing as a 'sequence' is causing my problem - How do I import my Illustrator file, so that it imports 'as drawn'?

Because if I do not import as a sequence, all layers become overlapped onto each separate anchor point.

Or, how should I save the Illustrator file so that when I import it into After Effects, that all the layers line up as drwan?

• 4. Re: Illustrator layers only visible one frame
                KoMaruyama Adobe Community Professional

A couple of notes about setting up Illustrator files for After Effects:

1) Design with RGB color is always a good idea.

2) Make sure that the paths you want to animate separately are in new Layers

Screen Shot 2015-02-09 at 7.38.59 PM.png

3) Your footage will usually come in using the duration of the last comp you created.  It looks like the layers you've imported think that they are a sequence of frames (this can happen when you version out your files  Illustration_v1.ai,Illustration_v2.ai, Illustration_v3.ai...)

At the bottom of your import footage dialogue box, turn OFF the sequence options.

unsequence.jpg

4) You should be able to import your entire .Ai file as a Composition.  If you use "Layer Size" dimensions, your layers will each have centered anchor points.

Screen Shot 2015-02-09 at 7.40.31 PM.png

• 5. Re: Illustrator layers only visible one frame
                  dummergold Level 4

Ok, thanks.

1) I thought I was in RGB and now am unsure and searching how to check.

2) All those are Illustrator layers

3) Ah, I was rendering out a cinema dng frame/ TIFF and using upscale preservation with 'bi-cubic' - so that's why the one frame. humm, I wonder how to clear that - reset AE preferences?

4) How can I align all my layers in AE to as drawn in Illy? Is there a way to individually offset all the anchor points to align, rather then manually re-aligning all the layers? I go research that.

Thank-you (yikes - more then one layer was locked in photo below and I see now as they did not move when shifted down, to avoid clipping top string)

AE from Illy.JPG

• 6. Re: Illustrator layers only visible one frame
                    Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                    1. Your artboard needs to include all of your artwork. That's the problem with the illustrator file you are showing.
                    2. Import as a sequence should never be checked if you are importing only one file whether it is imported as footage or a comp.
                    3. When you import as a comp you must open the comp that AE creates to keep the layers lined up.

Most people just getting started with this workflow make all three of these mistakes. The workflow is really easy. Make each object that you want to animate a separate layer, make sure all artwork fits in the your artboard and you only have one, import as a comp retaining layer sizes, then open the comp that AE creates. ALL of the layers that are in the project panel will be the size of that layer. If you are using clipping paths then the layer will be the size of the clipping mask if it extends beyond the artwork.

One last point that I failed to make. You should be creating your artwork so that it is the right size to fit in your composition at it's at rest size. In other words, if at some point in your composition you want to see the whole guitar and have it fill the screen then the strings must be thick enough to work in video. That means they must be at least 2 or 3 points wide. If you want to have the guitar fill only one quarter of the screen and your project is 1920 X 1080 then your dartboard should be set to 1920 pixels or points wide and the strings must still be at least 2 points or 2 pixels wide unless they are absolutely horizontal and vertical AND if you use thin lines or stroke values less than 3 pixels in your illustration you should have snap to pixel turned on in illustrator. Your illustration may be vector art but if there is fine detail in the illustration then it must line up with the pixel grid or it will not look good.

• 7. Re: Illustrator layers only visible one frame
                      dummergold Level 4

Thank-you very much. I will be utilizing all advice and be re-thinking my approach in regards to the strings.

• 8. Re: Illustrator layers only visible one frame
                        dummergold Level 4

Rick Gerard wrote:

make sure all artwork fits in the your artboard and you only have one,

Wow! That really helps - make sure you only have one artboard! I had 7 artboards that I was unaware of. I deleted the 6 'unknown' artboards so that I just had the one and now the imported Illustrator file creates the After Effects comp I have been trying to get.

Rick Gerard wrote:

When you import as a comp you must open the comp that AE creates to keep the layers lined up.

Thank-you, I can move forward.