5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2015 5:35 AM by Phil B.

Help - my hard drive crashed.

Phil B.

My hard drive crashed after I completed developing a large job.  I have the original raw photos and the LR catalog showing my processed images. Can lightroom re-process the raws using the old catalog?

• 1. Re: Help - my hard drive crashed.
          Phil B. Level 1

Is there any way to export jpegs from the catalog when the original files are "offline"?

• 2. Re: Help - my hard drive crashed.
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you can open the original catalog and relink the photos then all of the work you have done will still be in place. Are the raw files in the same folder structure that they were before the crash?

• 3. Re: Help - my hard drive crashed.
              Phil B. Level 1

I can open the original catalog.  I can place the raw images in a folder with the same name as the originals were in.  The drive is not working so instead of G: smith family I can do C: users/phil/desktop/ smith family.  Will LR then link the raw files to the finished images?  If so, please tell me step by step how to do this.

Thank you.

Phil

• 4. Re: Help - my hard drive crashed.
                JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can put that Smith folder anywhere you want to. It can be on the desktop, or it can be a folder within your pictures folder, or you can put it on a new external hard drive. When you double-click on the catalog and it opens, go to the library module and right-click on the Smith folder and choose the option to update the folder location. Then you will be able to browse to wherever you put the folder, updating the location. And that's all there is to it.

• 5. Re: Help - my hard drive crashed.
                  Phil B. Level 1

Thank You Jim! That worked like a charm.  There are a few images that I had retouched in PhotoShop.  The resulting images are still missing.  I guess I'll have to retouch theose again, but the bulk of my work is recovered.  So, again, Many Thanks! 

Phil