6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2015 3:39 PM by daniels45015275

timing discrepancy between burned DVD and Adobe Premiere Elements 12

daniels45015275

Why does the DVD I burned have a different total time (1:54:35) as compared to the ending time in Adobe Premiere Elements 12 (1:54:42)?

A similar thing happened a week ago too, when the raw video when played in Windows Media didn't match up with the timing after I put the video in Elements and someone had given me editing work based on time specifications per what they saw in Windows Media, and I couldn't use it because it was seconds off of what was showing up in Elements. Further it wasn't a consistent timing different--sometimes it was 3 seconds behind other times it was 5 seconds ahead--very frustrating.

Anyone know why/how to fix this problem?

• 1. Re: timing discrepancy between burned DVD and Adobe Premiere Elements 12
          A.T. Romano Level 7

daniels

I just got finished running some mini test on what you described and I cannot confirm your results. Let me tell you want I did. And then we can

compare notes.

Run 1.

With the gray tabs of the Work Area Bar spanning the content of the Timeline, I pressed the End key to move the Timeline Indicator to the end of

the Timeline content. The reading that I got for the timecode above the Timeline was 00;00;12:07 (hours;minutes;seconds;frames). When I convert that

into just seconds, then I have 12.23 seconds.

When I burned that to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, and determined the duration of the DVD-VIDEO video file (VTS_01_1.VOB) using MediaInfo, MediaInfo

displayed the VOB's duration as 12.224 seconds.

Run 2

This was an exact rerun of Run 1. The exact same results were obtained.

When you are doing your Premiere Elements 12 reading for duration of your Timeline, are you dropping off the frames in the TImecode reading when

you report 1:54:42 which I am understanding as hours:minutes:seconds.

Please review and consider and then let me know the details of how you obtained your times. I will repeat what I have done but next time with a

larger Timeline content of 1 hour 54 minutes 42 seconds. If this is a burn to disc for DVD-VIDEO were you using a DVD double layer single sided disc?

ATR

• 2. Re: timing discrepancy between burned DVD and Adobe Premiere Elements 12
            daniels45015275 Level 1

Yes the times I am reporting are the hours:minutes:seconds. I am using a single layer disc. Premiere reports the total length as 01:54:42:09 and Windows Media Player reports the burned DVD from this as 01:54:35. This is what the screens look like:

Premiere-screen-shot.jpg

windows-media-screen-shot.jpg

• 3. Re: timing discrepancy between burned DVD and Adobe Premiere Elements 12
              A.T. Romano Level 7

daniels

Thanks for the additional information. I am working on this now.

If you have the time, could you compare the Timeline content duration with the duration for the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc's

VTS_01_1.VOB as read from a properties readout program (MediaInfo or other.) If you cannot, I will still move forward and

see what I can put together on this.

If you use a player other than Windows Media Player, do you still get the duration differences that you point to?

ATR

• 4. Re: timing discrepancy between burned DVD and Adobe Premiere Elements 12
                daniels45015275 Level 1

when I play the DVD on my DVD player hooked up to my TV it reports the same time as Windows Media Player (1:54:35).

I downloaded MediaInfo, and this is what I'm getting:

VTS.JPG

The VTS_01_1 file shows this:

VTS3.JPG

The VTS_01_0.IFO file shows this: (1 hr 54 minutes but doesn't report the seconds)

VTS2.JPG

Does that help at all? Thanks for your help on this

• 5. Re: timing discrepancy between burned DVD and Adobe Premiere Elements 12
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

daniels

Thanks for the additional information. In MediaInfo (Tree View), indicate what the duration is for each

VTS_01_1.VOB given duration 28 minutes 25 seconds

VTS_01_2.VOB

VTS_01_3.VOB

VTS_01_4.VOB

VTS-01_5.VOB

Is the duration the same for the first 4, that is, 28 minutes 25 seconds?

What is the duration for the 5th?

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: timing discrepancy between burned DVD and Adobe Premiere Elements 12
                    daniels45015275 Level 1

VTS_01_1.VOB given duration 28 minutes 25 seconds

VTS_01_2.VOB given duration 28 minutes 28 seconds

VTS_01_3.VOB given duration 28 minutes 26 seconds

VTS_01_4.VOB given duration 28 minutes 25 seconds

VTS-01_5.VOB given duration 0 minutes 56 seconds

Also when looking at VTS-01_5.VOB it shows this:

VTS4.JPG

So if you add 1:53:39:12 to 0:00:56:576 that equals 1:54:35:696--basically what Windows Media Player and my DVD player is reporting.