7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2015 7:21 AM by A.T. Romano

Storage issues on Mac with APE 13

mellovesall

I'm having issues with my laptop storage when using APE 13. My laptop storage is being used when ever I use the

Editor, even though I save all my APE files on an external disk drive. Does the editor make copies of my files on the laptop even when I

direct it to save on the external drive? I'm constantly getting the warning of "Start Up Disk is full." The first time I got this note I bought the external drive, but the editor still seems to be using my laptop storage. Help!

• 1. Re: Storage issues on Mac with APE 13
          A.T. Romano Level 7

mellovesall

I am strictly an Elements Windows user, but I try to find common ground between the Windows and Mac versions to answer.

So, please help me with the Mac counterpart of my Window situation.

Open Premiere Elements 13 Mac to the Expert workspace and go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks. To what location or locations on the

mac are those scratch disk directed and how much hard drive space is at those locations. You can reset the locations there if wanted. The project file save location is set in the new project  dialog. After you open a project, you can go to File Menu/Save As and rename it and/or set a new save location. If the Scratch Disks are set

"Same As Project", they will be saved to the same location as the project file.

Please review and consider the above to make sure they apply to the mac situation, and then let us see what we can put together to resolve the problem.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Storage issues on Mac with APE 13
            mellovesall Level 1

Hello ATR, thank you so much for replying. I really appreciate your help. I looked at my scratchDisks preferences and all are set to Same as Project of 1.1GB except for the Media Cache which is showing

Custom 1.1 GB.

I've been saving my editor files to my external drive, so the same as project should be sending

the scratchDisk info there as well, right ?

I tried to find the path of the Custom scratchDisk and couldn't find it..in the Preference

page it shows it should go to User/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common/

the only library I could find was. HD Macintosh/Library/Application Support/Adobe/ then 3 other folders...

does the fact that the media cache path is not marching what I found have anything to do with this?

Thank you,

• 3. Re: Storage issues on Mac with APE 13
              A.T. Romano Level 7

mellovesall

Not sure of my way around a Mac, but

a. Do you have any hidden files and folders on that Mac?

b. The major scratch disks for pile up issues

Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder which would correspond to the preference area's Video Previews

(these are files generated automatically each time you do a Timeline render)

and

Media Cache Files Folder which would correspond to the preference area's Media Cache

(these are conformed audio files - cfa and pek sets)

I have found that the program tends to place this Media Cache at the end of the path to a Common Folder destination.

For Media Cache, change the path in preferences to Same As Project and then determine if you can find the Media Cache Files Folder.

ATR

• 4. Re: Storage issues on Mac with APE 13
                mellovesall Level 1

Hi, I changed the media cache preference to "same as project" and it then showed up under that 13 folder. I just realized that the "same as project" path is leading to my laptop folder named 13 and not to my external drive folder. I use Publish & Share when I save my editor files so I can tell it to be saved on my external, so would my directing to the external drive override the "same as Project" original path? Also, when I look at the laptop folder 13 the size of the contents is only in the MB and not GB size, which is what I was expecting....I'm not sure what is eating up my storage.

• 5. Re: Storage issues on Mac with APE 13
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

mellovesall

Thanks for the update.

I do not see the "Same As Project" affecting the Save Location in the burn dialog and vice versa.

In summary...

Project and Scratch Files are directed to Laptop's Folder named 13. (Only MB sized at this point)

An external hard drive is getting the file exports.

I just came across the following online regarding that Start Up Disk is full message. Have you seen this?

http://computers.tutsplus.com/tutorials/what-to-do-when-your-macs-startup-disk-is-almost-f ull--mac-31780

There of lots of these articles online.

Please review and consider and then me know the outcome.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Storage issues on Mac with APE 13
                    mellovesall Level 1

Morning ATR,

That article you sent me was very good. We went through all the suggestions but no luck. My next step is

to take my laptop to the Apple Genius Bar and see if they can see what I've done to my storage. lol.

Thank you so very much for your help. I really, really appreciated your time and suggestions.

Best Regards,

• 7. Re: Storage issues on Mac with APE 13
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

mellovesall

Thanks for the update.

As your time permits, please let us know the outcome.

Best wishes

ATR