4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2015 10:19 PM by A.T. Romano

PE13 Audio Stutter on Export to AVCHD

Ralph McMurphy

PE13 users, I need a bit of advice on troubleshooting an export of some HD video to AVCHD. Coming from PowerDirector 12, I just purchased PE13 and am experimenting with the software. Several video clips shot via Sony camcorder 1920x1080 60i 30 FPS, none more than about 2 minutes each, for a total of about 7 minutes. I've imported these clips into a new PD13 project, added a few transitions, and exported as M2T - H264 1920x1080i 30 (audio setting: Dolby Digital, 192 kbps, 48  kHz, Stereo). Video looks great, however, audio stutters a bit in some places, a lot in others, and plays fine for stretches. It should be noted that I exported even longer video of similar settings via PowerDirector and have not experienced any audio stutter ever.

When I export this same project as MP4 - H264 1920x1080p 30 (audio setting: AAC, 160 kbps, 48  kHz, Stereo) the audio plays flawlessly.

Are there any settings that may eliminate this stuttering when exporting as M2T - H264? It looks like I may be able to reduce the kbps of the M2T file to 160, but would rather not if it wouldn't make any difference anyway. I'll experiment when I get home to see if lowering kbps helps, but in the meantime, any other advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: PE13 Audio Stutter on Export to AVCHD
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Ralph McMurphy

Please look at the audio situation

a. With and without the following Edit Menu/Preference/General preference disabled

"Use Hardware Acceleration (works on Intel HD Graphics 2000 and higher)"

and

b. With the lower bitrate

Please let us know the outcome.

Do you have a special requirement for the m2t rather than the mp4 file?

ATR

• 2. Re: PE13 Audio Stutter on Export to AVCHD
            Ralph McMurphy Level 1

A.T,

I tried various combinations of Hardware Acceleration on/off and lower bitrate of 160 to no avail. Audio still stutters to the point of being unusable.

My requirement is to be able to burn this video to blu-ray discs. I thought that M2T was preferred for blu-ray burning and also archiving project output? Is MP4 just as good for this purpose?

Thank you

• 3. Re: PE13 Audio Stutter on Export to AVCHD
              Ralph McMurphy Level 1

Bumping this up a bit.

Still having the the issue mentioned in the original post. It appears that PowerDIrector can handle something better here than PE when it comes to smoother export to AVCHD. That's a shame, as I really like everything else about PE.

I'll post the latter question again:

"My requirement is to be able to burn this video to blu-ray discs. I thought that M2T was preferred for blu-ray burning and also archiving project output? Is MP4 just as good for this purpose?"

I am not very versed in the creation of blu-ray discs. Can MP4 be used to produce a blu-ray and will the quality be as good as if AVCHD is used? Please excuse my being green. Still learning.

Thank you.

• 4. Re: PE13 Audio Stutter on Export to AVCHD
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Ralph McMurphy

Thanks for bringing your thread to attention.

When hitting the Reply button to reply, I found a post that I started to send you and apparently did not. The content that I found was

I would say go with the AVCHD.mp4

But consider you can take your Timeline to Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc using

Publish+Share

Disc

Blu-ray

and have a choice of Presets

Presets

H.264 1440 x 1080i NTSC Dolby

H.264 1440 x 1080i PAL Dolby

H.264 1440 x 1080p NTSC Dolby NEW

H.264 1920 x 1080i NTSC Dolby

H.264 1920 x 1080i PAL Dolby

H.264 1920 x 1080p NTSC Dolby NEW

The 1080p ones have frame rate of 23.97 progressive frames per second. The 1080i have are either

25 interlaced frames per second or 29.97 interlaced frames per second depending on NTSC or PAL.

If you want to export to file saved to the computer hard drive, a good choice in your case for a later burn to Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc

would be

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30

You cannot customize the burn to presets. But, you can customize the preset for the export to file saved to the computer hard drive.

But, those settings will be overwritten in the encoding process in the burn to process to give you the format cited above.

Please let us know if that targets your question.

Thank you.

ATR