12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2015 1:26 AM by erkast

System requirements - graphics card on laptop

erkast

Hi,

I am looking at a few laptops for CC. I'll be running mostly After Effects, Premiere Pro and Photoshop. The laptops I have looked at are powerful workstation laptops, and the vendor claims they run CC perfectly. But they don't have a graphics card from the Adobe list (otherwise they are ok). They have these choices:

GeForce GTX 850M

GeForce GTX 980M

Iris Pro graphics 5200

Is it a big deal if I go with one of these, although they are not on Adobe's list? What am I risking will happen with one of these cards?

The reason I want to go with this particular vendor is that they sell laptops without any OS or software/bloatware installed, so I can configure as I please. Plus they are a lot cheaper than for instance the HP zbook.

Kind regards, Eric

• 1. Re: System requirements - graphics card on laptop
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Read the articles at Tweakers Page especially the article on Balanced Systems

• 2. Re: System requirements - graphics card on laptop
            Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

What is the difference in pricing between the GTX 980M GTX 850M?  Those are your real choices

• 3. Re: System requirements - graphics card on laptop
              erkast Level 1

Thanks for your replies. I looked at the article about balanced systems, but I wasn’t able to quite understand

The laptops are configured slightly differently, so it’s not apparent what the difference in price is between the GTX 980M and the GTX 850M. Since I am on a limited budget, and if I exclude the laptops with the Iris Pro graphics 5200, I am leaning towards the option described below. I live in Norway, which is a very expensive country, so it may seem expensive to people in the US or other countries. But it seems to be a decent price here.

Multicom Xishan W650S

• 15.6" Full HD LED 1920x1080 16:9 non-reflective screen
              • GeForce GTX 850M graphics card with 2GB GDDR3 memory (Maxwell), nVidia PhysX and CUDA support.
              • NVIDIA Optimus technology
              • 4. generation Intel Core™ i5-4210M processor 2.6GHz ~ 3.2GHz, 2 cores
              • Intel 8 Series chipset
              • 8GB DDR3 1600MHz SO-DIMM RAM (1x8GB, 1 available slot)
              • 240GB mSATA SSD
              • Available slot for 2.5" SATA Hard drive/SSD
              • DVDRW Super Multi burner
              • Bluetooth
              • 802.11 ac/a/b/g/n wireless network card, Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260
              • 10/100/1000Mpbs network card
              • Touchpad with scroll function
              • HD Webcamera 2.0 Megapixels
              • Sound Blaster Cinema sound
              • Stereo speakers 2W
              • Built-in microphone
              • 1 x HDMI output (v1.4a with HDCP)
              • 1 x VGA connector
              • 1 x USB 2.0 connectorr
              • 3 x USB 3.0 connectors
              • 1 x eSATA connector (combined USB 3.0)
              • 1 x Microphone input
              • 1 x Headphone output
              • Memory card reader (MMC, RS MMC, MS, MS Pro, MS Duo, SD)
              • Kensington lock track
              • 6 Cell battery Smart Lithium Ion, 62.16WH
              • Batteritime: appx. 420 minutes (UMA mode)
              • Full Range AC adapter 120W 100-240V 50-60Hz 19V 6.3A
              • Size 374 x 252 x 14~31.4 mm
              • Weight: 2.5 kg with battery

Price without OS: NOK 8195 (which is appx. $ 1082 with today’s exchange rate). I’m thinking I might double the RAM, so it would be a little more.

Does this laptop seem like it would be a good choice, or will the fact that the graphics card is not an approved Adobe card cause me problems?

Kind regards,

Eric

All the options from this vendor are listed here:

http://www.multicom.no/Kraftig-laptop--arbeidsstasjon/cat-c/c100560

• 4. Re: System requirements - graphics card on laptop
                erkast Level 1

I just spoke to the vendor, and the salesperson recommended I look at a gaming laptop they have on sale. It's slightly more expensive, but has higher specs and includes 2 harddrives in addition to the SSD disk, so it would be a very good deal.. IF this machine will work with Adobe CC... What do you think, does this seem like a viable choice?

Multicom Xishan W355S 15.6" Full-HD Matt Intel Core i7-4710MQ, 8GB, 240GB SSD + 2 stk 1TB 7200rpm, GeForce GTX 860M 2GB …

(It's in Norwegian, but the specs should be easy to understand )

Kind regards, Eric

• 5. Re: System requirements - graphics card on laptop
                  Bill Engeler Level 3

The second system should be OK, if you increase the RAM to 16GB. Setting the 2 HDDs in RAID 0 will give you good performance. The first system's CPU was way too underpowered. The newest versions of CC don't have an approved list any longer, so your video card will work OK without any hack.

• 6. Re: System requirements - graphics card on laptop
                    erkast Level 1

Thanks Bill, that is good news! I think I'll go for the second system, but could you clarify what you wrote about the newest versions of CC not having an approved list any longer? I've been looking here:

System requirements | Adobe Premiere Pro

and here:

System requirements | After Effects

• 7. Re: System requirements - graphics card on laptop
                      JFPhoton Level 3

......for After Effects it would be better  to have 32 GB of system memory. Two SSDs in a RAID 0 may be fast,but, backup solutions are difficult.  MSI Dominator series laptops have many powerful options...some you can upgrade yourself to save money. Look for a new laptop that may have a Samsung XP 941 M.2 SSD which provides the best speed.

• 8. Re: System requirements - graphics card on laptop

Sorry, but I would not consider a two core i7 CPU for video editing.  I have a four-core i7-4700HQ processor in an ASUS gaming laptop computer and consider it to be the very minimal practical

• 9. Re: System requirements - graphics card on laptop
                          RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

i agree with the others, the i7 will be the way to go vs the i5. the gtx 850M or 860M would be a minimum. the brand new gtx 965M is a bit faster and might be close to the same price. the gtx 970M is another option, but will cost more as it is alot more powerful, but is also alot cheaper than the gtx 980M you first listed.

• 10. Re: System requirements - graphics card on laptop
                            erkast Level 1

Thanks for additional input comments and suggestions!

Just to clarify: The machine I'm considering now is not the one I listed the specs on, but the one I posted the link to in the following post ( Multicom Xishan W355S ). Here's that link again:

Multicom Xishan W355S 15.6" Full-HD Matt Intel Core i7-4710MQ, 8GB, 240GB SSD + 2 stk 1TB 7200rpm, GeForce GTX 860M 2GB …

This one does indeed have a four-core i7 four-core i7 processor (4700MQ), it supports max 24 Gb RAM, it has the gtx 860M card, a 256 GB SSD drive and two 1 TB regular drives (7200 rpm) that supports RAID 0. It's on sale now and costs just a little bit more than the one I first was considering.

I agree 32 GB RAM would be better than the 24GB max I can put in the Multicom Xishan W355S I'm considering, but since Adobe's system requirements are 4 GB (8 Gb recommended), my thinking is that 24 GB is plenty. But unfortunately I'm on a budget, and besides the RAM I haven't been able to find anything close to the specs within the price range I'm looking at. The MSI Dominator costs way more with similar specs. One drawback with the Multicom Xishan W355S machine, is that it will be noisy. I do some voicing as well, and it would be nice to have a quiet laptop in front of me while I record, but I can live with having to solve the noise issue somehow.

I welcome all additional input, and especially if there is something else that hasn't been mentioned that would make me regret the Multicom Xishan W355S!

• 11. Re: System requirements - graphics card on laptop

My laptop is a 24 GB one and I find it fine for Premiere, I am not an After Effects user (yet).

• 12. Re: System requirements - graphics card on laptop
                                erkast Level 1

Another issue has popped up: How important is the amount of memory on the graphics card? The machine I'm considering has the 860M with 2 GB memory, but there are other options with more GFX memory. I've read somewhere that the 3d ray-traced renderer will not do well if there is not enough gfx memory.. but I'm not sure if I'll need that very often.I've looked at another configuration with the 880M card and 8 GB memory, but of course I'm starting to go way over my budget now, and I HAVE TO make some compromises. The trick is determining which compromises...