9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2015 4:51 PM by ManiacJoe

Backup Lightroom virtual copies etc. ?

espr3ss0 Level 1

I'm doing some spring cleaning removing a moving a whole bunch of stuff. Also hopefully soon get a MacPro.

Thing is because of the way Lightroom is a catalog of photo files / folders, if I manually move my folders around without doing so in Lightroom it doesn't like it and I also loose my copies & alterations. Shall also be deleting a whole bunch of photos.

What's the best approach starting over but not starting over ? In other words after moving & deleting is finished, and a new catalog is created, maybe an import of old catalog states ?

• 1. Re: Backup Lightroom virtual copies etc. ?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's my impression that you really need to take some time to learn how the catalog works and how to let the catalog work for you instead of you working against the catalog. I would suggest you adopt some sort of file structure that makes sense to you so you don't have to move things around so much after you import. Moving images around can get confusing for both you and for Lightroom. A virtual copies is not an image file. It is just another metadata entry in the catalog that points to the same image. It is possible to group images together in collections, making moving images around unnecessary.

• 2. Re: Backup Lightroom virtual copies etc. ?
            dj_paige Level 9

espr3ss0 wrote:

I'm doing some spring cleaning removing a moving a whole bunch of stuff. Also hopefully soon get a MacPro.

Thing is because of the way Lightroom is a catalog of photo files / folders, if I manually move my folders around without doing so in Lightroom it doesn't like it and I also loose my copies & alterations. Shall also be deleting a whole bunch of photos.

What's the best approach starting over but not starting over ? In other words after moving & deleting is finished, and a new catalog is created, maybe an import of old catalog states ?

The best approach would be to stop moving your files and folders around outside of Lightroom, and use keywords and other metadata (and not folder or file name) to achieve organization.

Starting over but not starting over? That's way too vague to even answer.

• 3. Re: Backup Lightroom virtual copies etc. ?
              espr3ss0 Level 1

"A virtual copies is not an image file. It is just another metadata entry "

Says it all. I'm not trying to work against the catalog but work with it, I'm sure there's a method to the madness, I just don't see one yet.

• 4. Re: Backup Lightroom virtual copies etc. ?
                espr3ss0 Level 1

"The best approach would be to stop moving your files and folders around outside of Lightroom"

That's the only way I see it working. I haven't used "backup" yet but it may give more option. Ideally what I wan't to do is, export what I can of the current catalog then create a new catalog after moving what I have to and re-import.

Can it work like that ?

Also want to split it the backup info because I shall have 2 catalogs at the end.

• 5. Re: Backup Lightroom virtual copies etc. ?
                  dj_paige Level 9

For beginners, use a single catalog. That eliminates sooooo many possible problems, and has no real disadvantages.

Ideally what I wan't to do is, export what I can of the current catalog then create a new catalog after moving what I have to and re-import.

How about this? Delete the parts you don't want any more from the existing catalog, leaving the parts you do want. No new catalog needed.

Or even better ... since the whole idea of re-importing is one of the worst things you can do ... because you lose the edits and metadata for those re-imported photos ... why don't you reconnect the moved photos in the existing catalog? That way you don't lose the edits and metadata associated with those photos. See these isntructions: Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

• 6. Re: Backup Lightroom virtual copies etc. ?
                    espr3ss0 Level 1

Good advice, delete what I don't want first, thanks.

Just been watching this vid ... Backing Up Your Lightroom Catalog and Images - YouTube

Has also helped give me a extra option as one problem is the size of the catalog, so reduce it to smaller ones and still if any changes are made to an original being able to import the data changes.

Thanks guys.

• 7. Re: Backup Lightroom virtual copies etc. ?
                      dj_paige Level 9

Okay, espr3ss0, I haven't watched that video but ...

as one problem is the size of the catalog, so reduce it to smaller ones and still if any changes are made to an original being able to import the data changes.

This is horrible advice. It is completely wrong. One catalog is the way to go. There are no disadvantages to catalog size, we have people in this forum reporting catalogs of 600,000 images working well.

• 8. Re: Backup Lightroom virtual copies etc. ?
                        ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

There is a lot of talk about methods and "how to", but not much talk about "why".

Before we can accurately discuss "how to", we first need to understand the goals (the why's) of what you are attempting.

• 9. Re: Backup Lightroom virtual copies etc. ?
                          ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Just been watching this vid ... Backing Up Your Lightroom Catalog and Images - YouTube

Not a good video. The big problem is that he does not explain why he is doing what he does and does not explain how to restore his partial backups back into his main catalog.