11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2016 8:56 PM by smashkirk

When exporting to PDF fonts are replaced

tedk502

I have had this happen several times when exporting to PDF from CS6 with no font errors, all the fonts have been changed in the PDF to another font. Not the default either, but just a different font altogether.

Has anyone heard of this or experienced this?

• 1. Re: When exporting to PDF fonts are replaced
          Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

Without having more information as to what the original fonts were and what was substituted plus samples of the InDesign document and the resultant PDF file, there isn't much we can do to assist. FWIW, we are not aware of any general problem of this type (pun definitely not intended). I assume that you are determining what fonts are in the exported PDF file by looking in the Document Properties Font tab?

- Dov

• 2. Re: When exporting to PDF fonts are replaced
            tedk502 Level 1

It is pretty easy to determine the fonts are wrong by visual inspection followed by the text edit tool in Acrobat X to confirm what font it is. The original fonts on this particular file were Gotham and they were replaced by Helvetica and our default missing font is Courier. I have found numerous threads with the same or similar problem dating back to September 2014 where they were blaming Indesign CC for the problem, with another person replying they had the same issue with CS6. Some of the advice given to them was to load the fonts locally rather than across a network to a server. The problem is not repeatable that is to say when you notice the issue with your PDF you open the file and export it again and the fonts are now correct with no changes to the file or the way you loaded the fonts. What is alarming is this is intermittent with no font warning while exporting or any further font warnings if the PDF is Normalized through Kodak Prinergy. It is like the postscript code is being written with a replacement font.

I have enclosed the thread I found and we are going to load fonts locally to see if this helps, if you have any other advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Ted

http://Screen shot 2015-02-12 at 10.25.55 AM.png

• 3. Re: When exporting to PDF fonts are replaced
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Is the font in question embeddable? The only reason I can think of for font substitution would be a font that is neither embedded  nor available locally on the viewer system.

• 4. Re: When exporting to PDF fonts are replaced
                tedk502 Level 1

Thank you for answering, the font is embedded but it is the wrong font. The fonts were not local but accessed from a server at the time the PDF was written.

• 5. Re: When exporting to PDF fonts are replaced
                  moishe64 Level 1

Sorry for the late entry on a stale thread, but has this ever been figured?  I am using now InDesign CC 2015 and suffering the same issue.  The export is used through InDesign and the PDF opens right up with incorrect font.  Looks terrible.  Font is installed locally and this is all happening on the same computer.  Any ideas?

• 6. Re: When exporting to PDF fonts are replaced
                    Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Again, what fonts?

• 7. Re: When exporting to PDF fonts are replaced
                      Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@moishe64 – you say your font is installed locally. I do not doubt that.

But are you sure, that the used font is really the one installed locally if the same font also exists maybe on a server volume?

Eg. if you opened the InDesign document from a server volume and a Document Fonts folder is in the root of the InDesign file on the server.

Then the fonts from the server are used instead of the ones from your local machine.

To be sure:

In InDesign go to: Type / Search Font… , select the one that is not exporting and use the menu command for reveal it in Explorer (Windows) or Finder (Mac OSX). If this font is indeed on your local machine we have a different problem here. Or use "More Information" and inspect the path of the selected font.

Another test:

Does it make a difference, if you print to PostScript and distill to PDF with Acrobat DC Distiller or Acrobat Pro Distiller?

To do so, you'll need the ADPDF9.PPD in the PPDs folder of Applications/Adobe InDesign CC 2015/Presets (Mac OSX) folder. If there is no PPDs folder, you have to create one, if you have no ADPDF9.PPD file you have to hunt for it on the web.

Maybe, but only maybe, this issue could be related to a different one:

Are there any placed EPS files into play here using this font?
                      In InDesign CC-2015 v.11.0.1 there are some issues with placed EPS files (eg. from Adobe Illustrator) where some glyphs are missing (PostScript Level 2) or all text is missing (PostScript Level 3) when viewed in the layout or exported to PDF.

Uwe

• 8. Re: When exporting to PDF fonts are replaced

Thanks to Peter Spier you can download the ADPDF9.PPD from here:

Hightail herunterladen

Hope, this link will work, since it is renamed by the Forum software to a German: "Hightail herunterladen" ("Download Hightail").

In case this does not work, I uploaded a zipped ADPDF9.PPD to my Dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jf2nwiei2eewndc/ADPDF9.PPD.zip?dl=0

ADPDF9.PPD.zip

ADPDF9.PPD

(You need not to be signed in to Dropbox if you want to download that file, just click the sign-in window away and start downloading)
                        Though cannot promise it will stay there forever…

Uwe

• 9. Re: When exporting to PDF fonts are replaced
                          moishe64 Level 1

Thank you Uwe and Peter.  The problem occurred with all fonts (including Times New Roman), other system fonts, etc.  The problem occurred also regardless of whether it was printed to Adobe PDF or exported to PDF.  No placed EPS fonts.  I have not tried to print to .ps but may if you think that it may be a fix given the problem first appears in Acrobat DC. 

What I was able to uncover is that the problem does not 'seem to be' related to inDesign but rather to Acrobat DC.  Whatever has happened in the latest updates is causing the font problem to appear in the Acrobat DC reader.  When the document is opened in Acrobat Reader, the font looks brilliant.  It is unfortunate since this will impact workflow, but at least the issue is not one of inDesign.  My big concern is that a professional house is using Acrobat DC and the documents that are delivered may appear corrupted when in fact they are not. 

Thx, ...

Mark

• 10. Re: When exporting to PDF fonts are replaced

What I was able to uncover is that the problem does not 'seem to be' related to inDesign but rather to Acrobat DC.  Whatever has happened in the latest updates is causing the font problem to appear in the Acrobat DC reader.  When the document is opened in Acrobat Reader, the font looks brilliant.

Hm, that leaves me a bit speachless…
                            Are you sure, that the fonts are embedded in the PDF after exporting?
                            You can check this in Acrobat under File / Properties … (Acrobat Pro 9, 10, XI).

Currently I'm not using Acrobat DC for any production purposes, because I still have to get familiar with the new GUI.
                            Maybe there is a preference where you can change the "view" of a embedded font or something? (I doubt that.) Older versions of Acrobat Pro have some settings for "Accessibility" for: "Replace Document Colors" for legibility, but no switch for changing fonts; maybe something like this is enabled in your individual preferences in Acrobat DC? (Just guessing here.)

Btw.: I think, "Printing to PDF" is in fact the same as printing to PS and distill to PDF.

What exact version of InDesign CS6 are you using. What OS ?

Uwe

• 11. Re: When exporting to PDF fonts are replaced
                              smashkirk Level 1

I just experienced a similar issue, except only one small area of text was being replaced by another font, even though the rest of the document was fine. I did a restart and it solved it. Maybe a memory issue.