9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2015 4:34 AM by JEShort01

Help with new AE tower PC, especially for SSD set up

vicpostprod

I am trying to put together a desktop PC for video and photo editing, a lot of AE, PS and Lightroom, but also PP, Audition, Speedgrade.
      I am buying all the parts new and will get some professionals to put it together here in London.
      I am not very technically expert, so please let me know if I have got it all wrong.
      Mobo: Asus x99 A
      Processor: i7 5820k
      Memory: 32 GB DDR4 to be later expanded to 64. Any suggestion on which brand and type?
      GPU: Asus Geoforce GTX 760
      My main problem regards the storage solution. This is what I am planning:
      Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB (OS and Programs) - This is the slower one, but I assume that for this use I don't need an extra fast one
      Samsung XP 941 256GB (Media Files)
      2 x Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB in Raid 0 (cache, previews and projects).
      In order to get good performance from the two SSD in RAID0 will they be connected to the SATA or I need some sort of connection to PCI?

Besides I will need about 4TB for back up, either a single HDD, or 3 or 4 in RAID5, whatever is suggested.
      Many thanks for your input

• 1. Re: Help with new AE tower PC, especially for SSD set up
          JEShort01 Level 4

Samsung 850 Pro 256GB for OS & programs - excellent choice!

Now for a big, fast work area... why not upgrade to the 512GB Samsung xp 941 and use that for all files: media, cache, previews, exports, projects. That should be plenty fast.

And finally, for the backups... a single 4TB should work just fine, or two 4TB HDs would be even better (1 on-site and 1 off-site). Drives do die, and with a data space of only 512GB on your main PC you may not have sufficient space to keep all your media and projects after awhile. I personally like to use "hot-swap" bays for my backup drives. If you don't have a hardware controller that supports hot-swapping, it is still not a big deal at all to turn the PC off, put in the backup drive(s), boot, and complete the backups. Then, turn the PC off, remove the drive(s) and you're back to work.

Regards,

Jim

• 2. Re: Help with new AE tower PC, especially for SSD set up
            vicpostprod Level 1

Thank you Jim.
            The reason why I was thinking of going with four SSD is because I was under the impression that is better to have separate drives for OS+Programs, Cache+Previews, Projects+Exports, and Media files.
            Having just a Samsung Pro 256 for OS and programs and 1 XP 941 512GB for all the rest will simplify things and save me a little money, but will I lose some performance?
            I can always add the pair of SSD in RAID later on (or maybe something new will come up).
            Are 32GB RAM enough or is better to go for 64?
            I am non familiar with hot swap, could you please explain?

• 3. Re: Help with new AE tower PC, especially for SSD set up
              JEShort01 Level 4

In the scheme of a balanced system, a single XP 941 would be plenty fast for your build. And as you state, if you need more speed you could add a 2x SSD RAID 0 later on. In my opinion, adding a 2x SSD array later on could be nice, but it may be more likely needed for additional drive space, not speed.

Regarding RAM, get 32GB of RAM that is clocked properly so you can add 32GB later if required for AE. Premiere Pro will be plenty happy with 32GB.

Eric Bowen recommended this G Skill model to someone else on this forum today that was doing a 64GB build, so you should strongly consider these sticks from Newegg:

G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666 (PC4-21300) Desktop Memory Model F4-2666C15Q-32GRR …

Eric REALLY knows his stuff, and DDR4 RAM can be pretty tricky.

Here's one of the models of hot-swap drive cages that I use:

SUPERMICRO CSE-M35T-1B 3 x 5.25" to 5 x 3.5" Hot-swap SATA HDD Trays - Newegg.com

You don't need this many drives, but many vendors make many styles that range from 1 to 5 drives.

I know nothing about this iStar model, but here's a sample of a single-drive hot-swap cage:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816215324&cm_re=hot-swap_cage_3.5-_- 16-215-324-_-Product

Regards,

Jim

• 4. Re: Help with new AE tower PC, especially for SSD set up
                RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

i agree completely with JEShort01. i would also just add since i didn't see it mentioned, about the gtx 760... you may want to consider the new gtx 970 instead. its a big step up in performance at just a bit more in price. also g.skill is a decent brand of ram, very popular for their lower prices. crucial, corsair, and kingston are the only other brands i would consider... i would also make sure the ram you buy is listed as compatible with the asus motherboard. they usually have a list of recommended/tested ram for each motherboard on their website, under the support section.

• 5. Re: Help with new AE tower PC, especially for SSD set up
                  vicpostprod Level 1

Thank you for your input guys.
                  Actually I have already decided for the new GTX 970, but forgot to update, even though apparently the 4GB of RAM are not totally used (not a big deal, I think).
                  I have found a vendor with good feedback who would assemble the PC for me, so I have to make some slight changes to accomodate what he offers:
                  - The CPU wil remain the same: Intel i7 5820K
                  - Mobo Asus X99-S
                  For DDR4 RAM I have the choice between:
                  - Crucial DDR4 2133 Mhz, the cheapest choice. It comes in 4 bars x 8GB
                  - Kingston Hyper X Predator Quad DDR4 in 3 different versions: 2400MHz, 2666MHz, 3000Mhz. It comes in 8 bars x 4GB. They are a bit more expensive and of course the price goes slightly up with the frequency. Is it worth going for the 3000MHz? If I should decide in the future to expand to 64GB will the 4GB bars allow me to do that?

My biggest concern regards the compatibily of the Samsung XP941 with the Asus mobo. I cannot find anywhere on the web if they would work together (I am not going to use the XP941 as the System drive) 

• 6. Re: Help with new AE tower PC, especially for SSD set up
                    RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

from asus website says:

8 x DIMM, Max. 64GB, DDR4 3200(O.C.)/3000(O.C.)/2800(O.C.)/2666(O.C.)/2400(O.C.)/2133 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory

so if you plan on having the option for 64gb ram as an upgrade later, you need to fill half of the 8 slots with 32gb now. that means 4 slots x 8gb sticks. if kingston only has 4gb sticks you cannot max it to the 64gb later. 8x4gb=32gb maxed. 

faster ram speeds do increase performance, especially with programs that use the ram alot. if its in your budget and the local vender building it for you will configure the overclocked ram to work with your system than might be worth it.  you may see around 5-10% performance increase, but its gonna cost alot more.  that money might be better spent on better cpu, gpu, or saving for the 64gb ram later. its your call...      the recommended list from asus's website does list alot of corsair and g.skill at various speeds.

the asus support for devices lists the XP941 MZ-HPU512T, but i can only find the XP941 MZHPU512HCGL listed for sale. this could mean they didn't test the XP941 MZHPU512HCGL, not necessarily that its incompatible.  i did find others using several different asus x99 boards with the XP941 MZHPU512HCGL, so odds are good that it will work.

there is some stink with the gtx970. it has all 4gb but the card will slow down if using above 3.5gb.  Geforce GTX 970 3.5GB + 0.5GB VRAM Explained - YouTube

• 7. Re: Help with new AE tower PC, especially for SSD set up
                      Thoughtful Level 1

In reply to, vicpostprod:  On an ASUS motherboard forum, you may be able to learn some ideas for using the Samsung XP941 SSD in your ASUS motherboard.  The hyperlink to the thread in the ASUS motherboard forum with discussions of the Samsung XP941 SSD is:  ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Forum- Windows Booting Problem using M.2 SSD in ASUS X99-E WS. Once you install successfully your Samsung XP941 SSD into your ASUS motherboard, you can add your experiences there, too. If you create a RAID with multiple SSDs on SATA Controller No. 1 in your ASUS motherboard, with you Samsung XP941 SSD installed in the M.2 slot, please let us know how you accomplished this successfully. My assumption is that, if the Samsung XP941 is not an operating system (OS) boot device, but just a storage device only, then the Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST) driver can be installed successfully on SATA Controller No. 1 (which is set in RAID mode, not AHCI mode, prior to installing the OS). There is also another thread for installing an Intel NVMe/PCIe SSD on the same ASUS motherboard forum. The hyperlink is:  ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Forum- MSI support NVM Express and Asus?. I realize this is bleeding edge of technology, but learning about what is coming is healthy. Plus, you learn by participating in the forums for both your hardware and software.

• 8. Re: Help with new AE tower PC, especially for SSD set up
                        vicpostprod Level 1

Well, apparently the Samsung XP 941 seems to be working on the Asus X99 board, at least if it is not the boot drive.
                        The only choice I need to make now is if I go for the 32GB of Kingston Hyper Predator 3000MHz, which is faster, but will not allow me further expansion or go with the Crucial 2133, slower, but can be extended to 64GB later on.
                        In other words, is it better to have 32GB of faster RAM or 64GB of slower one?
                        As I said at the beginning I use mainly AE, but also PP and PS, sometimes two of them at the same time

• 9. Re: Help with new AE tower PC, especially for SSD set up
                          JEShort01 Level 4

Without a doubt, the RAM option that can be extended to 64GB is the better choice since you state "I use mainly AE" (which loves RAM).