2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2015 8:01 AM by Touchet

Is it possible to overlay graphics over a windows application in flash?

Touchet

Good day everyone,

I was wondering if it is at all possible to overlay graphics from flash over a windows application. I know this can be done using some other languages and tools but since actionscript is the language I know best, I thought I would ask here to see if it was possible.

What I am trying to do is make a button that will pop up and sit on top of a running windows program. I know that usually in a flash project there is a stage inside of a window and that's what you have to work with but I was thinking there could be a way to remove the window border and make the background invisible and only leave the graphic that I want to show and bring it up to the front of the screen.

Also as a side question, is there a way to record frames from your flash project and export that as an mp4 or some other video file type?

Any help with either of these question would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any help you are willing to provide.

• 1. Re: Is it possible to overlay graphics over a windows application in flash?
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you look at the File menu in Flash Pro there is an Export option that supports a couple of video types.

As far as the button goes I cannot offer much except to say that I think this would need to be an AIR project.  It is possible to have a chromeless (no window framing) presentation of the file, but I do not know if transparency is supported.  I also don't know what commands, if any, can force the window to remain on top of all others.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is it possible to overlay graphics over a windows application in flash?
            Touchet Level 1

Thanks for the answer. For the button I was able to create an Adobe Air project, go into the xml file and change systemChrome to none (<systemChrome>none</systemChrome>) and transparent to true (<transparent>true</transparent>). This made the entire window invisible except for any objects on the stage.

Now as for the video, this isn't quite the solution I was looking for. My application will take some string from a file and translate them into actions to be displayed. You will be able to pick a file and watch the actions happen inside the flash player. But, if the user would like to keep this set of actions for later and turn it into video, I would like them to be able to do it straight from flash. I guess it would depend on how I set up the playback of the translated actions