4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2015 8:02 AM by D Fosse

Best way to prep ProPhoto RGB images for the Web?

*Photonic Level 1

My working color space for editing my RAW files is ProPhoto RGB. My master files are saved as 16-bit ProPhoto RGB layered PSD files. I am aware of several ways to prep my images for the Web, but is one best for accurately displaying my work on a web site?

Photoshop's "Save for Web..." is easy, but does it do as good a job as manually re-sizing, "Convert to Profile" (sRGB) and then "Save As..." an 8-bit JPEG? I have noticed "Save for Web..." creates a file w. its color space designated as "untagged RGB," while the manual method designates "sRGB." Any difference? Thanks.

• 1. Re: Best way to prep ProPhoto RGB images for the Web?
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Embedding the profile can be subject to size-considerations.

It’s not particularly relevant to me, so I am not up-to-date on the issue, but if I remember correctly some (versions of) browsers did not use to be colour managed or assume sRGB anyway.

• 2. Re: Best way to prep ProPhoto RGB images for the Web?
            D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Weren't you happy with the answers you got to this question on the Luminous Landscape forum? I'll repost mine here:

---

You should always embed the profile. With the notable exception of Internet Explorer (which seems to be a lost cause), most browsers today handle color management well. At least Safari and Firefox both do.

Photoshop's Save For Web still strips the profile at default settings, so you need to check the "Embed Color Profile" box. That setting sticks. Personally I think it's well past time to change this default, but there it is.

While you're in there, check "Convert to sRGB", and set Preview to "Use Embedded Profile". This shows you the image with full color management (using the monitor profile to display). Here again SFW uses an outdated default from the old days when browsers weren't color managed.

If you're using a wide gamut monitor some special considerations come in, and in Firefox a manual setting has to be enabled (color management mode 1)*.

As for resizing, I've no particular opinion. SFW seems to do well. But you should do a final sharpening after resizing, which has to be done in Photoshop anyway, so it can probably handle the resizing too. Build it all into a couple of actions and you're set.

*Firefox users should enable this setting in any case, whatever monitor they're using. What it does is to assign sRGB to any and all untagged material. This enables the full color management chain, instead of just passing it straight to the monitor unmanaged. IOW, full color management even on untagged material, as long as it is created in sRGB with sRGB numbers.

• 3. Re: Best way to prep ProPhoto RGB images for the Web?
              *Photonic Level 1

twenty_one wrote:

Weren't you happy with the answers you got to this question on the Luminous Landscape forum? I'll repost mine here:

Thanks twenty_one. Actually I posted here first, got no response, then tried Luminous Landscape -- a great forum where I got very helpful advice, including yours.

...If you're using a wide gamut monitor some special considerations come in, and in Firefox a manual setting has to be enabled (color management mode 1)*.

...*Firefox users should enable this setting in any case, whatever monitor they're using. What it does is to assign sRGB to any and all untagged material. This enables the full color management chain, instead of just passing it straight to the monitor unmanaged. IOW, full color management even on untagged material, as long as it is created in sRGB with sRGB numbers.

I use a wide gamut monitor (99% AdobeRGB). What other considerations should I be aware of? Also, never could find the color management mode to enable in the Mac version of Firefox. Somewhere in pref's? Thanks again.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Best way to prep ProPhoto RGB images for the Web?
                D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

To enable Firefox color management mode 1, type "about:config" without the quotes in the address bar and refresh.

Scroll down to gfx.color_management.mode, and change the value from 2 to 1. Relaunch FF. That's it.

On Mac OSX, Safari behaves identically (or so I've been assured by Mac users), so there you have two alternatives. On Windows Firefox is the only browser that performs this neat "assign sRGB" trick, which in fact is the only way to avoid the usual oversaturation on untagged material.

What this all boils down to is that wide gamut displays can only be used with full end-to-end color management. Without it, it gets oversaturated.