5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2007 8:52 AM by bnichols85

Projector: Connecting for Updates...

bnichols85
      Hello, thanks for taking the time to read this, please post suggestions if you have any. I am not extremly experienced in Director and am kind of stumpped on something.

The company I work for is issuing flash drives to staff members, and they are spread out all across the country, The flash drives will all contain an .exe file, which I created using Director, that autoruns when the drive is inserted. This Projector file is a menu to access company releated documents, sites, etc. Our President has requested a button that will connect to an internet location, and download any updates to the menu file and/or updates to the files linked to within the exe, or download new files if there are new menu options.

Best I can figure is the button would have to close out the menu, so the file could be replaced with a new updated version, and I would have to either use a log file (on the drive) or a database on the to verify a version number so the software would know if it needs updated or not. My question is, how would I go about coding the connection, verification and actual download and placement of the updated files?

Basically what I need to code out is an Updater program like you find in Anti-virus software and many other applications. Any help/comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Projector: Connecting for Updates...
          Ex Malterra Level 1
          learn about net lingo here at livedocs

i don't know the particulars about your project, but it you have to use an exe file and not link to a web page you could use an xml file on the flash drive to build the menu from. you could use a comma delimited list for that matter, but xml would be easier imho. the xml file could contain version info. you could use fileio to store an updated xml file on the flash drive when updates are available. i would suggest using a flash object for xml if you go that route, the flash xml object is superior to the dirctor on as far as i'm concerned.

once an updated xml file is saved you could use a goto to go to the frame where the menu is built and the new xml file could be loaded.
          • 2. Re: Projector: Connecting for Updates...
            tedalde2 Level 2
            Also be aware that many companies may block all (non-sanctioned) outbound/inbound network traffic from/to users. An updateable program like that wouldn't work on my company computer... and many others that I know.
            • 3. Re: Projector: Connecting for Updates...
              bnichols85 Level 1
              I found a free updater program from gvhsoftware.org, but it will not work because the version numbers it is reading is the "Macromedia Projector" version number.

Ex Malterra:
              I dont think I could get it to work using XML to construct the menu, there are 2 sizes of buttons, because some menu options has 2 lines of text. All my buttons are sprites on the stage from cast member images with text overlayed.

tedalde2
              it will only be used within my company, though at different locations. It will be connecting to one of our own servers, which we house at our resource center and none of the employees are blocked from having access to those servers.
              • 4. Re: Projector: Connecting for Updates...
                Level 7
                "skinnerback01" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> posted in
                macromedia.director.lingo:

> I found a free updater program from gvhsoftware.org, but it will not
                > work because the version numbers it is reading is the "Macromedia
                > Projector" version number.

Check out the free Versiown. With it you can change the icon as well as the
                version number of your projectors.

http://www.goldshell.com/versiown/main.htm

You might also want to check out this article on DOUG

Internet Updater
                http://director-online.com/buildArticle.php?id=1101

--
                Mark A. Boyd
                Keep-On-Learnin' :)
                • 5. Re: Projector: Connecting for Updates...
                  bnichols85 Level 1
                  Mark,
                  thanks a lot, the Versionwn software allowed me to configure my version numbers to allow the Updater program I had found to work. After messing with settings in the Updater program I finally got it working and everything seems to run alright.