15 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2015 2:42 AM by Geoff the kiwi

LR on the move

chuen manc66400240

Hi there, I'm using LR5 on my iMac, but I'm going overseas and thinking to buy a Macbook; what are the options out there to use LR on the move?

I have asked and it seems I can uninstall my current LR on my iMac, and install it to my new Macbook, re-install it again to my iMac when I'm back;  but if I want to access my current LR catalogue (original files are sitting in the hard drive in my iMac) when I'm away, what can I do?

Thanks in advance.

Chuen Man

• 1. Re: LR on the move
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First, the easy part. A Lightroom license entitles you to two installations for your personal use. So it won't be necessary to uninstall from your one computer in order to install on the new one. You can have it installed on both and be in full compliance with the license.

Having access to all of your images and your current catalog requires some additional consideration. There isn't a way for you to access the catalog and images on the other computer. All images need to be on a drive that is local to the computer you are using. You could try moving your catalog folder and all your images to a dropbox folder for the time that you are gone. Another option would be to put all of your images on an external hard drive, and then copy your catalog you are using now to the new computer. But using an external hard drive sort of ruins the portability to a certain extent. The other alternative would be to copy your catalog folder and all of your images to the hard drive of the new computer. Then, when you return home, you could replace everything on your home computer with the image files and catalog from the MacBook.

• 2. Re: LR on the move
            chuen manc66400240 Level 1

Thanks Jim,

I had an online chat with Adobe support, the person told me I had to uninstall my current LR, the reason was it cannot work simultaneously in two computers although we can register the same licence for two computers; it seems to me your answer make more sense, I'm not going to use two computers at the same time;

what's your personal experience or others' experience on that?

About accessing the current LR catalogue, I do have a ext hard drive has been backing up my iMac and therefore the LR catalogue I suppose, it may be an option for me; how about Creative Cloud, would it a better option? I don't know much about it and sure I have to pay for that.

Cheers,

Chuen Man

• 3. Re: LR on the move
              Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In addition to Jim's answers....

Yes you can just install with your serial number on the laptop no issues... I have two laptops with installations on both and travel.

Here are some pointers.

There is no need to take your existing images with you unless you have a real reason to. If you want to just do some work on them generate Smart Previews and take those.

I would recommend have two external drives, one for the Catalog and Previews that is fast as this is where most read/write activity takes place. Keep the presets with the catalog in Preferences>Presets so they travel with the catalog.

Put the images on a second external drive.

Back them all up....

With this set up I can plug in the drives to any computer with Lightroom and have access to my Catalog and Images...

• 4. Re: LR on the move

Thank you Geoff,

Lucky to have you and Jim's replies, otherwise I would have uninstalled my current LR.

Having two ext drives sounds a very brilliant idea too, so you don't save your images into internal hard drive of your computer at all, is that right?

About taking my existing images, I do not need them all indeed; I'm working on a website, I will need access to some of my images so that I can continue to work on them when I'm away.

All my images and LR catalogue are saved in the internal hard drive of my iMac and backed up by one ext hard drive only, before I have the set up as yours, the Smart Previews suggestion won't work for me, right? I will have to learn a bit more about smart previews, but if you could explain a little bit more will be great.

Thanks again.

Chuen Man

• 5. Re: LR on the move

Cheun Man,  a pleasure.

I don't keep images on my laptops usually as they have smallish SSD's for speed. Having Macs I have Thunderbolt drives which a reasonably fast.

Now Smart Previews let you work with nearly all functions of the original file, all the Develop features and sync back automatically when the original file is available/online.

What is your laptop and how many GB's of images do you have? Also how much space does the Lightroom Folder (catalog and previews) take up.

The answers will influence my recommendations...

• 6. Re: LR on the move

Hi Geoff,

I'm using a iMac with 1TB, 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB memory; but I think you are asking about my new laptop right? I haven't got it yet, so don't really know; for images, total will be 400+GB, but I do not need all of them to work on; for the catalog, not sure does it make sense, I checked, it said 306.77MB ?

Thanks a lot!

CM

• 7. Re: LR on the move

I need to make one clarification on what I wrote last night. The catalog needs to be on a drive that is local to the computer you are using. The images can be located on a network drive accessible by the computer. But my other suggestions pretty much stand as I wrote them. I got to thinking about my answer after I went to bed and wanted to make that clarification.

• 8. Re: LR on the move

Thanks for clarification Jim.

• 9. Re: LR on the move

That is great so you could put all you need on an external 1TB drive or maybe even two (one each for catalog and images) Thunderbolt would be good as the can be chained but USB3 would be fast enough.

No need to be concerned about network drives as we are not talking about those.

• 10. Re: LR on the move

James Hess wrote:

I need to make one clarification on what I wrote last night. The catalog needs to be on a drive that is local to the computer you are using. The images can be located on a network drive accessible by the computer. But my other suggestions pretty much stand as I wrote them. I got to thinking about my answer after I went to bed and wanted to make that clarification.

Curious Jim, how does an external drive cramp portability??  Dropbox is fraught with dangers of corruption. External drives work well for me as I travel so can back up as well and in most places around the world internet connectivity, speed, cost is prohibitive for cloud solutions - when power is available!!

• 11. Re: LR on the move

Hi Geoff,

the ext hard drive I am using actually is a 2TB one, I split it into two 1TB; I think it will be the best to have two independent hard drives; but for the time being, would it help if I separate the images and the catalogue in each partition of the ext hard drive? or just leave it as now they are all in the same partition of the ext hard drive?

Cheers,

• 12. Re: LR on the move

Chuen Man Chang wrote:

Hi Geoff,

the ext hard drive I am using actually is a 2TB one, I split it into two 1TB; I think it will be the best to have two independent hard drives; but for the time being, would it help if I separate the images and the catalogue in each partition of the ext hard drive? or just leave it as now they are all in the same partition of the ext hard drive?

Cheers,

Hi, I have the same at the moment a 2TB partitioned but I don't think it makes any difference as it is the read/write that counts. I'm moving my catalog to a second 1Tb drive so as access to catalog and images is not through the same pipeline. My back up is a 3TB drive portend as well. I do use DNG's but don't have auto write on..

• 13. Re: LR on the move

Thanks all your replies Geoff, you are pro ! Thanks Jim's replies and clarifications as well, I really appreciate that. Happy photo shooting and editing guys!

• 14. Re: LR on the move

The only way it cramps portability (in my opinion) is that it requires the carrying of an additional piece of hardware. When some people travel they like to travel light. I have never used dropbox because I have considered too many problems that could occur. I only mentioned it because some users seem to like to work that way. If extreme portability is a consideration then my probable choice would be to export a catalog and the images that I needed on the MacBook. If carrying an additional EHD is not a problem then that would be my choice.

• 15. Re: LR on the move

Sure Jim, I understand your thinking but with laptops having generally smaller drives (I have a 256GB SSD in one and a 500 in the other) I find a portable 2TB Thunderbolt drive is great for files....

I'm just planning a year in Uganda and figuring out storage for that!!!