3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2015 12:54 PM by rob day

Do I need the Pantone Solids books anymore?

Mr. Met Level 3

Anyone using Pantone Color Bridge swatch books which offers web and 4C process simulations of all spot colors? I haven't had a new pantone book in at least 15 years and decided this is the year I update.

My thinking is that since I rarely print spot color anymore, color bridge and the cmyk books (both in coated and uncoated) might be my best choice. However, though 90% of what I print is 4C digital or offset, people still request pantone colors not realizing that almost everything prints process. Pantone Essential includes spot, bridge and cmyk process. Basically, I'm on the fence regarding getting the pantone solids books which seems redundant these days in the age of short run digital printing as needed. I haven't printed LH, Env and BC solid offset in many years. Envelopes are just about the only thing I still print in PMS colors. But having said that, I print many many short run envelope jobs on my digital press (Ricoh 651EX).

I would appreciate any feedback, pro and con. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Do I need the Pantone Solids books anymore?
          SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You would do yourself and your clients a favor if you don't allow them to spec Solid colors for 4/c jobs. If they spec a color that is not achievable in 4/c, they will be disappointed, and blame you for the lack of color match.

That being said, if you never print spot, you don't need the books. If you rarely print spot, then the need for a new solid book depends on how color-critical those few spot jobs are. If they are not color-critical, you may get by with the old books, as long as you explain that the colors may be off a bit. I'm too picky to go that way, but it may really not matter much to your customers.

• 2. Re: Do I need the Pantone Solids books anymore?
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

and of course the new books also have the new colors...

• 3. Re: Do I need the Pantone Solids books anymore?
              rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

people still request pantone colors not realizing that almost everything prints process...

Basically, I'm on the fence regarding getting the pantone solids books

I think designers often use the Pantone system as an alternate to color management, and that would work if they were always printing solid inks which of course they are not. So we see many threads about Pantone colors either printing or displaying incorrectly.

The Pantone Bridge colors are single CMYK process builds and how closely they simulate the solid ink printing in Pantone's solid ink formula guide, depends on the 4-color press conditions—the color builds are device dependent. It isn't clear what device or press conditions the Pantone Bridge colors target, but I would bet it's not your Ricoh 651EX. So you could print a Pantone Bridge swatch chart from your Ricoh 651EX and reference it rather than the Pantone solid swatch book and get more reliable color.

The alternative is to make color managed conversions from the Pantone Solid+ Lab (device independent) colors to your press profile. Whether that works depends on the accuracy of the press profile and the understanding that some colors or considerably out-of-gamut. Also using Ink Manager's Spots to Process to make the conversion can be problematic if the color is a tint. See this thread—Re: Ink Manager Bug/Problem?