8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2015 2:23 PM by gener7

Change cache location to one folder for all users?

ewornick

Hello all,

This may have been asked already, but I wasn't able to find an answer to what I'm attempting to do, so here goes.  We recently installed CS6 64-bit in our High School art classrooms and are experiencing an issue with Bridge, where if the students try to look at thumbnails they get the "not enough disk space" error.  Their AppData folders are redirected to their home drives and they have quotas, and we can't give the students gigs of space.  My question is: Can I set up a single folder on the local machine that would be the cache location for anyone who logs onto that machine or would this cause problems?  The hard drives on these computers have more than enough space (hopefully).  Thanks!

• 1. Re: Change cache location to one folder for all users?
          gener7 Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes. you can choose the cache location.  Ctrl/Cmd k can get you to the Bridge Preferences. I have never tried it so the only thing I would question is having one central folder for everyone's cache instead of individual sub-folders for each machine, keeping conflicts at bay. If one user decided to clear his cache for example.

Screen Shot 2015-02-11 at 11.24.33 AM.png

• 2. Re: Change cache location to one folder for all users?
            ewornick Level 1

Thank you for the response.  I knew you could change the cache folder to whatever you want, but didn't know if having one single location for all users would cause problems in the long run.  Also, it reverts back to the AppData location with each user that logs on.  Is there a file or a registry entry that I can change (either on each individual machine or push out via GPO) so I can make sure each user gets the correct cache folder location?  Thanks!

• 3. Re: Change cache location to one folder for all users?
              deepakg1988 Adobe Employee

Hi

if you are using mac please go this location

~/library/cache/adobe/bridge cs6

there will one folder by the name of cache and one file by the name of adobe bridge cs 6 cache

move them both to the desktop and then close the window , restart the bridge and it will be fixed

and if you are using windows please go to this location

C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Bridge Cs 6\Cache

move all the folder inside this location to the desktop and then restart the adobe bridge

• 4. Re: Change cache location to one folder for all users?

I clipped out the statement that Bridge has to be restarted in order for the directory change to take. If Bridge was not restarted after the change for each account and students simply logged out, then that might explain the cache directory defaulting.

You may have done so, but I need to ask if you did.

I'm on a Mac, so I'm not sure if there is a registry entry that needs to be adjusted. This is getting out of my realm, but if I find anything, I'll certainly let you know.

Deepakgahlot seems to be giving advice for removing corrupted caches, and letting Bridge create a new one, which does not seem to be your issue.

Gene

• 5. Re: Change cache location to one folder for all users?
                  ewornick Level 1

Yes, I had restarted Bridge and still if a new user logged in it would reset it to their user folder.  I'm hoping there is a Preference file for Bridge like there is for PhotoShop, etc that I can just copy to the user's AppData folder that would point the Bridge Cache to a location on the hard drive, however I have found no evidence that there is.

• 6. Re: Change cache location to one folder for all users?

I don't know why that is happening. I wonder if they can keep their work on another drive and simply use the "Automatically Export Cache" option instead of a central cache. The cache would be with their pictures in a folder and hopefully each student would only be able to access their respective folders.

• 7. Re: Change cache location to one folder for all users?
                      ewornick Level 1

I actually found the answer in another post.  There is a registry key that contains the cache directory information: HKCU\Software\Adobe\Bridge CS6\Preferences ->Cache Directory.  I was able to set this to a C:\<folder>\%username% and use group policy to apply the registry setting to individual users.  It appears to work with our test accounts, will work next week on getting it applied in real life.  Thanks for your help!

• 8. Re: Change cache location to one folder for all users?

Thanks for letting me know. I volunteer in this forum on Adobe products, and run my own personal OS. So I would be going outside my realm as far as group policies and registry modifications go.

Also as obvious as a keyword search is, I probably would not phrase it properly and end up in a dead end.

But I'll make a note of this.

I hope there are no further problems.

Gene