5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2007 11:32 AM by kglad

scrolling text

superdk
      I have a dynamic text box in a movieClip, which is placed on the main time line. I'm trying to get the text to scroll continuously with buttons. To see site go to www.porsche356.org.uk - history page.

The code is placed on the firstframe of movie clip.
      here's the code i'm using:

this.downBtn.onPress = function() {
      _root.onEnterFrame = function() {
      this.historyText_mc.loadedInfo.scroll ++;
      }
      this.downBtn.onRelease = function () {
      _root.onEnterFrame = undefined;
      }
      }
      this.upBtn.onPress = function () {
      _root.onEnterFrame = function () {
      this.historyText_mc.loadedInfo.scroll --;
      }
      this.upBtn.onRelease = function() {
      _root.onEnterFrame = undefined;
      }
      }

'loadedInfo' is name of dynamic text box -
      'history_mc' is the name of the movieclip which is placed on main time line.

Thanks for any help,
      Dave
        • 1. Re: scrolling text
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          that's not the code you're using on your web page. upload that swf and retest.
          • 2. Re: scrolling text
            superdk Level 1
            the code I'm using now, which works is -

//this code is attached to the up btn
            on (release) {
            this.historyText_mc.loadedInfo.scroll-=1;

}
            //this code is attached to the down btn
            on (release) {
            this.historyText_mc.loadedInfo.scroll+=1;

}

I'd like to figure out how to scroll the text , not one click at a time.
            • 3. Re: scrolling text
              your post is confusing. you can't use both sets of code and yet you state in each message, the posted code is the code you're using.

if you want your website to use the code posted in your first message, remove the code in the 2nd message and add the code in your first message. if you use the correct instance names, that code will work.
              • 4. Re: scrolling text
                superdk Level 1
                Sorry for the confusion, but yes I want the code from the 1st post to work. I have cleared the code from buttons (2nd message) but still dosn't work.

I'm keeping the code from the 2nd message on the site until I can get the scrolling continuously script to work.
                • 5. Re: scrolling text
                  if the first code fails it's because you have an instance name and/or path problem.

first, place a trace() in one of your onDown handlers and see if they execute when your button's pressed. if not, give your buttons the correct instance names. if yes, use trace(this.historyText_mc.loadedInfo) in one of your onEnterFrame handlers to see if you have the correct path/name to your textfield.