6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2015 8:10 AM by r_tist

input and select...

r_tist Level 1

Hi,

Wanted to alter source code so that it would be a dropdown pick list instead of a txt field. Where I'm unsure... does 'select name' replace 'input' in this case? Or does 'input' still need to be there even though not a field as such? Also, if it does need 'input-type="?what word attribute for pick list?"'

With my alterations:

<div class="formblock">

<label class="screen-reader-text">How did you hear about this?</label>

<select name="howHeard" id="howHeard" value="<?php if(isset($_POST['howHeard']))  echo $_POST['howHeard'];?>" class="tick">

<option value="volvo">Volvo</option>

<option value="saab">Saab</option>

<option value="mercedes">Mercedes</option>

<option value="audi">Audi</option>

</select>

<?php if($howHeardError != '') { ?>

<br /><span class="error"><?php echo $howHeardError;?></span>

<?php } ?>

</div>

Other field example that I sourced, which is set up correctly:

<div class="formblock">

<label class="screen-reader-text">Email</label>

<input type="text" name="email" id="email" value="<?php if(isset($_POST['email']))  echo $_POST['email'];?>" class="txt requiredField email" placeholder="Email:" />

<?php if($emailError != '') { ?>

<br /><span class="error"><?php echo $emailError;?></span>

<?php } ?>

</div>

Thanks.

• 1. Re: input and select...
          osgood_ Level 8

r_tist wrote:

Hi,

Wanted to alter source code so that it would be a dropdown pick list instead of a txt field. Where I'm unsure... does 'select name' replace 'input' in this case? Or does 'input' still need to be there even though not a field as such? Also, if it does need 'input-type="?what word attribute for pick list?"'

With my alterations:

<div class="formblock">

<select name="howHeard" id="howHeard" value="<?php if(isset($_POST['howHeard']))  echo $_POST['howHeard'];?>" class="tick">

</select>

<?php } ?>

</div>

Other field example that I sourced, which is set up correctly:

<div class="formblock">

<label class="screen-reader-text">Email</label>

<input type="text" name="email" id="email" value="<?php if(isset($_POST['email']))  echo $_POST['email'];?>" class="txt requiredField email" placeholder="Email:" />

<?php if($emailError != '') { ?>

<br /><span class="error"><?php echo $emailError;?></span>

<?php } ?>

</div>

Thanks.

Your code below is correct, no input field required.

<div class="formblock">

</select>

<?php } ?>

</div>

Values are retrieved like

$value = $_POST['howHeard'];

What ever option is select at the time will get attributed to the $value variable

• 2. Re: input and select...
            BenPleysier Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The value that for the select is the chosen option value, as opposed to an input type text (or similar) where the value is placed inside the box.

As a side note, the label element should have a for-property, referring to the input element.

• 3. Re: input and select...
              r_tist Level 1

OK, it's as what I suspected then! - phew! Can't wait to test it later...

Can you ellaborate on: "As a side note, the label element should have a for-property, referring to the input element."

Please explain so I can understand.

Thanks!

• 4. Re: input and select...
                osgood_ Level 8

r_tist wrote:

OK, it's as what I suspected then! - phew! Can't wait to test it later...

Can you ellaborate on: "As a side note, the label element should have a for-property, referring to the input element."

Please explain so I can understand.

Thanks!

<label for="howHeard" class="screen-reader-text">How did you hear about this?</label>

• 6. Re: input and select...
                  r_tist Level 1

ok, I added that. as it is powered by php, my page is an .html single page site. my intention is to insert this form into the footer.

any recommendations how I can do that? can I copy the form code and insert? do I simply change extension of file to php?

(un-chartered territory for me here!)

Alternatively, if you know how I can change the code above to make HTML only - that would be fine if easier. I just would like it to function...

Thank you!