3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2015 3:09 PM by Trevor.Dennis

How to wrap an existing text box around an object?

amputator

I've installed the Columns plugin for Photoshop CC 2014 and it does what I want it to do, however, every time I 'columnise' my existing Text Box, which is wrapped another image using work paths (this is the video I watched to create the wrapping), the plugin removes the connected work path as though it was a fresh new text box I've created, removing the wrapping.

I was wondering if there was a way to wrap existing text around an image/object, preferably after I've placed it into columns.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: How to wrap an existing text box around an object?
          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Your Columns Plugin link is broken, and I am not familiar with it.  Can you try again?

The lad in the video you posted is making a bit of a drama out of the process using three times as many steps as he needs to.  Do you just want to contain text inside a Shape, but in columns?  That's not something I know how to do automatically in the same way that InDesign or MS Publisher can do it, but perhaps your plugin can manage it.  Fix the link and I'll have a look.

• 2. Re: How to wrap an existing text box around an object?
            amputator Level 1

My bad, here's the correct link: https://creative.adobe.com/addons/products/5332

My situation is that I have an image of a face centred on my canvas, and my text is wrapped around the image on the left side, however, I want it to be in two columns, though when I use the plugin, it removes the wrapping and I have not found any other tutorials that perhaps allow me to wrap an existing text box around an image rather than how it was created in the video.

• 3. Re: How to wrap an existing text box around an object?
              Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

OK. I installed the extension (I love the way extensions install via the Desktop Application Manager now) and it works well, but like you say, it ignores the path/shape retaining the text, and makes a new text box.  That text box is not based on a Path, so you can't modify it.  So bottom line here is Uber Columns is not going to do what you want it to.  You could always email Anton (nvkz.nemo@gmail.com) to get a definitive answer.

But it honestly isn't hard to modify your shape manually.  Well actually it is a tiny bit fiddly, but not rocket science.

1. Make your shape.  An easy way to do it might be to make it as a selection, and click on Make work path from selection icon at the bottom of the Paths panel.  Drag the resulting path to the New Path icon to save it.
              2. Now drag out a couple of guides to mark the gap between the columns.
              3. Zoom way in to the top of your path where the guides intersect it.
              4. Select your pen tool, and hover over the intersect of the path and one of the guides.  You'll see a little + when you do, add a point.
              5. Do the same at the other guide intersect, then add a third point in between them.
              6. Hit the Delete key.  You now have a gap in the path.
              7. Go down to the bottom of the work path and repeat.
              8. With the Pen tool selected hover over one of the end point and click.  (You should see a little chain icon which indicates you are in the right place.  I am not seeing that for some reason, but it still works.
              9. Now hover over the end point above or below.  When you see the tiny ° icon, close the path.
              10. Repeat for the other side.

Not quite there yet.  You need to make the work path into a shape.

• Go Layer > New fill layer > Solid color chose any colour. You'll turn this layer off when done.
              • Select the Text tool and place cursor inside the shape.  The cursor changes to a vertical bar with dotted circle. Click and paste text.
              • You can store the text in Notepad or a text box.  It doesn't matter.
              • It won't automatically spill over to the next column.  You'll need to do that manually.

Ahh... Just remembered.  When you close the original shape into two individual shapes, the corners will probably bulge.  Hold down Ctrl to select the corner point, and then Alt to drag the handle straight down towards the bottom point.

So there you have it.  Or just use InDesign, or even [spit] MS Publisher.