6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2007 10:32 AM by SF_Tech_Writer

Does RoboHelp HTML X5.0.1 support Firefox 2.0.0.1?

SF_Tech_Writer
      After reading through a few posts in this forum, I can see there are some experienced hands in the crowd. I'm a RoboHelp novice and this is my first post, so it's pretty simple.

Does RoboHelp HTML X5.0.1 support Firefox 2.0.0.1? If not, does RoboHelp 6 support it?

I experience the same problems that have been described here (about the TOC freezing when you open WebHelp, click on another topic, and resize the TOC panel), and some general problems with the content of the TOC panel jumping around (left/right and up/down) when you navigate through the help. Not sure what to tell the boss: If RoboHelp doesn't officially support Firefox, is it relatively simple (and worthwhile) to tweak it? Or are the problems overwhelming (and impossible to iron out in a day)? We're really pressed for time here.

Thanks in advance for any information. -- SF
        • 1. Re: Does RoboHelp HTML X5.0.1 support Firefox 2.0.0.1?
          HKabaker Level 2
          Please search through the forum on Firefox, going back to June 2006. Follow the threads to see revisions and clarifications of earlier advice.

If you can't find something useful in your situation, post back.

(That's just my suggestion; anyone can jump in here with advice).

Harvey
          • 2. Re: Does RoboHelp HTML X5.0.1 support Firefox 2.0.0.1?
            SF_Tech_Writer Level 1
            Hi, Harvey:

I read through a few threads, some of which included helpful advice from you. Given the number of problems people were reporting with Firefox, my impression was that Robohelp does _not_ support Firefox. Yet RoboHelp's list of supported browsers (I believe for 6.0) says they support Mozilla. I guess it depends on your definition of "support." Perhaps Adobe thinks that if it doesn't start your computer on fire, it's "supported." ;-p Anyway, if X5.0.1 does not officially support Firefox 2, and I can prove it, then it's one less thing for me to worry about. I'll keep hunting, but further information from anyone out there is welcome! -- SF
            • 3. Re: Does RoboHelp HTML X5.0.1 support Firefox 2.0.0.1?
              Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)
              Did you find the link to the topic on my site which has a number of tips, including from Harvey.

http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/browsers/browsers.htm
              • 4. Re: Does RoboHelp HTML X5.0.1 support Firefox 2.0.0.1?
                HKabaker Level 2
                Mozilla is the name of the software group that makes Firefox.

The problem is that the new Mozilla browsers are more advanced than those available when the RH code was written.

Unless Adobe has updated the browser version sniffer and the filters that route them to compatible code, Firefox will be a problem that we can fix, sort of.

Something very interesting happened to me the other day that nearly shook my faith in the fixes I've made for Firefox et al. The browser simply refused to open a long-established Intranet site that worked fine before that. IE had no trouble, but Firefox was hung in some kind of loop and never got past the frame setup.

Today, everything's just fine for Firefox.

I'm thinking that server response time is critical for Firefox, at least for the code RH is giving it. Maybe a timeout value, or a loading subroutine that IE goes through but Firefox doesn't encounter it.

By the way, I haven't seen Netscape mentioned here for awhile, but that browser also benefits from some of the fixes I've suggested.

Please report what you're getting, specifically, that made you ask about RH supporting Firefox or not.

Thanks

Harvey
                • 5. Re: Does RoboHelp HTML X5.0.1 support Firefox 2.0.0.1?
                  HKabaker Level 2
                  I spent some time this afternoon looking at how Firefox gets routed through WebHelp.

Tomorrow I'l post some results that may tame the fox.

Harvey
                  • 6. Re: Does RoboHelp HTML X5.0.1 support Firefox 2.0.0.1?
                    SF_Tech_Writer Level 1
                    Thanks for the pointers, folks. Peter, I looked at your page. Thanks for grouping the known issues in one place for us. Harvey, thanks to you, too. Now I at least have some info on which to base a decision on how to proceed. Given the time pressures and the risk involved in some of the fixes, I'll probably just add a release note recommending IE as the preferred browser for our help, and then try to deal with these issues in the next release.

-- SF