6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2015 6:15 AM by Dan-BTP

Packaging book on Mac

Dan-BTP

I have an InDesign book that I received in a ZIP file from someone in another company that is working on a Mac. It contains a folder called FONTS, with the fonts used in the book files. I'm working on a Windows 7 system running InDesign CS6.

Some of the files in the FONTS folder are OTF and TTF fonts that I can install on my system. The other files have names such as ShakaZul and ShakaZulBol, and their file sizes are zero. Of course, when I try opening any of the INDD files, InDesign tells me there are missing fonts.

Is there a way to package the InDesign files on the Mac so all the fonts come across and I can open the files on my Windows system?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Packaging book on Mac
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

If the folder is named Fonts, not Document Fonts, you must be using a pretty old version of ID. CS5 introduced Document INstalled Fonts so that you don't need to install the fonts in the OS in order to use them in the file associated with the Document Fonts folder. In theory this keeps you from violating font licenses.

Now the bad news. All the fonts ARE packaged, but the 0 byte fonts are Macintosh format fonts, and completely useless on Windows.

• 2. Re: Packaging book on Mac
            Dan-BTP Level 1

I have no idea what version of InDesign they're using, so what you say about it being an old version is probably true.

So is there nothing that can be done but for them to upgrade their version of InDesign? With the current versions of InDesign, is it possible to package a document on a Mac and work on it on a Windows system, with all the same fonts?

Thanks again for your help!

• 3. Re: Packaging book on Mac
              Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

The Mac can use both, WIndows and Mac fonts.

Windows cannot use Mac fonts.

The problem is the lack of compatibility on Windows.

For cross OS projects you should use OTF fonts, they are the same on WIndows and Mac.

Those fonts inside the Font folder you should be able to install them as long as they are OTF and TTF font.

The zero sized files are no fonts but a kind of sidecar file of files with a similar name, these are not visible on the Mac but help on mac to display their mother files correctly. They are not important.

Which version are you using? If you get files from the other with a Font folder they have to have an older version. You must have the same or a later version to open them. How does it work, when you rename the Font to "Document Fonts"?

• 4. Re: Packaging book on Mac
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The 0 byte files are nor a "sidecar," they are the data fork of the Mac two-part file system used on older versions of Mac OS. For reasons known only to the font creators the actual font data in those fonts is stored in the Resource fork which is normally invisible on Windows systems, and not usable by windows in any case. For other Mac files that use the data/resource fork format Windows will happily read the data fork.

• 5. Re: Packaging book on Mac
                  BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

In a pinch and after checking the EULA for the font you could use CrossFont Windows font software to convert OpenType, TrueType and PostScript type-1 pfb fonts

• 6. Re: Packaging book on Mac
                    Dan-BTP Level 1

Thank you all for your responses. I'll check with the company that supplied the files to get this resolved.