6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2007 8:46 AM by Newsgroup_User

Inserting crop marks on an image

TrentSC Level 1
      I know this should be breathtakingly straightforward, but I seem to have been hit with the stupid stick this afternoon. Can someone please take pity on this idiot and let me know how to add crop marks to a jpg image?

Many thanks.
        • 1. Re: Inserting crop marks on an image
          Level 7
          You could drag in Guides (make sure Rulers are displaying, so you can
          drag them in), then use the Line tool to snap crop marks onto the
          canvas, if you are looking to have crop marks that display as part of
          the jpg file.

If you just want them there for your own editing, simply drag the Guides
          in and use those as your reference.

--
          Jim Babbage - .:CMX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.

Community MX
          Extending Knowledge, Daily
          http://www.communityMX.com/
          ---
          .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
          news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
          news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver

TrentSC wrote:
          > I know this should be breathtakingly straightforward, but I seem to have been
          > hit with the stupid stick this afternoon. Can someone please take pity on this
          > idiot and let me know how to add crop marks to a jpg image?
          >
          > Many thanks.
          >
          >
          • 2. Re: Inserting crop marks on an image
            TrentSC Level 1
            Thanks for the suggestion. The image has to go to a printer, so I need to get it right.

I know you're being helpful, but could you explain what you meant by dragging in the guides?

Cheers.
            • 3. Re: Inserting crop marks on an image
              Level 7
              TrentSC wrote:
              > Thanks for the suggestion. The image has to go to a printer, so I need to get it right.
              >
              > I know you're being helpful, but could you explain what you meant by dragging in the guides?
              >
              > Cheers.
              A quick visual....

http://tinyurl.com/2gsfzp

SKB
              • 4. Re: Inserting crop marks on an image
                Level 7
                Fireworks has not been designed for commercial printing purposes (or
                amateur ones either, in most cases). Ideally, an app such as InDesign,
                or Pagemaker or Freehand(or even Photoshop, which supports CMYK) would
                be a better choice.

The printer is aware that you can only send them an RGB file from
                Fireworks, yes? If the printer is ok with this, then I wish you well. :-)

FW is deigned for working on screen graphics. To see how far embedded
                this concept is within FIreworks, look no furhter than the rulers. They
                ONLY display in pixels.

That said, I've had success when sending to a photo lab (not a
                commercial, ink on paper printer), and someone else has enjoyed success
                sending his artwork via Fireworks as well. The process can be somewhat
                hit and miss, however, and many commercial printers will not accept an
                RGB file to begin with.

--
                Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
                CommunityMX - Free Resources:
                http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
                ---
                TrentSC wrote:
                > Thanks for the suggestion. The image has to go to a printer, so I need to get it right.
                >
                > I know you're being helpful, but could you explain what you meant by dragging in the guides?
                >
                > Cheers.
                • 5. Re: Inserting crop marks on an image
                  Level 7
                  Jim Babbage wrote:
                  > Fireworks has not been designed for commercial printing purposes (or
                  > amateur ones either, in most cases). Ideally, an app such as InDesign,
                  > or Pagemaker or Freehand(or even Photoshop, which supports CMYK) would
                  > be a better choice.

What Jim said. You really should not be using Fireworks to create
                  layouts that will go to a printer. As you have seen, it doesn't offer
                  the basic things a print based app would offer because Fireworks was not
                  designed to do print work.

In addition to the apps Jim listed, you may want to take a look at the
                  just released Serif PagePlus X2 for an inexpensive but surprisingly
                  powerful and sophisticated alternative to InDesign. It will give you all
                  the print features you need including export to industry standard press
                  ready PDF files. It's a steal at the price they sell it for:

http://www.serif.com/pageplus/pageplusx2/

--
                  Stéphane Bergeron
                  reach:connect:communicate
                  www.webfocusdesign.com
                  blog:tutorials:articles:gallery
                  www.pixelyzed.com
                  • 6. Re: Inserting crop marks on an image
                    Level 7
                    Stéphane Bergeron wrote:
                    > Jim Babbage wrote:
                    >> Fireworks has not been designed for commercial printing purposes (or
                    >> amateur ones either, in most cases). Ideally, an app such as InDesign,
                    >> or Pagemaker or Freehand(or even Photoshop, which supports CMYK) would
                    >> be a better choice.
                    >
                    > What Jim said. You really should not be using Fireworks to create
                    > layouts that will go to a printer. As you have seen, it doesn't offer
                    > the basic things a print based app would offer because Fireworks was not
                    > designed to do print work.
                    >
                    > In addition to the apps Jim listed, you may want to take a look at the
                    > just released Serif PagePlus X2 for an inexpensive but surprisingly
                    > powerful and sophisticated alternative to InDesign. It will give you all
                    > the print features you need including export to industry standard press
                    > ready PDF files. It's a steal at the price they sell it for:
                    >
                    > http://www.serif.com/pageplus/pageplusx2/
                    >
                    Thanks for that link, Stéphane!

--
                    Jim Babbage - .:CMX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.

Community MX
                    ---