3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2007 4:58 AM by Newsgroup_User

Define Fill Pattern and gradient it with color

ODoyle Rules
      Hello everyone!

This is my first post in the Fireworks forum. Also this is the first time i'm using Fireworks 8. It's kind of like Photoshop and like Photoshop i can do a fill with a custom pattern by creating a pattern and doing a "Define Pattern" and selecting that pattern and making a fill with it using the fill bucket and then selecting the pattern and filling it with a gradient (like blue to white)

I am trying to do the same thing with Fireworks 8, but i don't know how to. First, i've created the pattern in a separate file, and saved it as a PNG then went into Fireworks, Fill bucket (not the gradient bucket) Clicked on Pattern and then on "Other" and opened up the pattern i created and i filled the area i wanted. Now this is the part i can't figure out how to do. My pattern is dots spaced out with 1 pixel in between each dot. I want to gradient fill them and i can't gradient fill them. Any help? thanks,
        • 1. Re: Define Fill Pattern and gradient it with color
          ODoyle Rules Level 1
          quote:

Originally posted by: ODoyle Rules
          Hello everyone!

This is my first post in the Fireworks forum. Also this is the first time i'm using Fireworks 8. It's kind of like Photoshop and like Photoshop i can do a fill with a custom pattern by creating a pattern and doing a "Define Pattern" and selecting that pattern and making a fill with it using the fill bucket and then selecting the pattern and filling it with a gradient (like blue to white)

I am trying to do the same thing with Fireworks 8, but i don't know how to. First, i've created the pattern in a separate file, and saved it as a PNG then went into Fireworks, Fill bucket (not the gradient bucket) Clicked on Pattern and then on "Other" and opened up the pattern i created and i filled the area i wanted. Now this is the part i can't figure out how to do. My pattern is dots spaced out with 1 pixel in between each dot. I want to gradient fill them and i can't gradient fill them. Any help? thanks,

Hello everyone!

Actually i just figured out how to do it.

Once i did the fill inside the Rectangle, i flatten selection, picked the magic wand to select and did a select inverse and filled gradient with the color i wanted and in the Gradient Tool properties i checked marked "Fill Selection" and that worked. I don't know if there is an easier way of doing it but that's how i figured it out.

Thanks

• 2. Re: Define Fill Pattern and gradient it with color
            Level 7
            ODoyle Rules wrote:

> Actually i just figured out how to do it.
            >
            > Once i did the fill inside the Rectangle, i flatten selection, picked the
            > magic wand to select and did a select inverse and filled gradient with the
            > color i wanted and in the Gradient Tool properties i checked marked "Fill
            > Selection" and that worked. I don't know if there is an easier way of doing it
            > but that's how i figured it out.

A non destructive way (you don't need to flatten the image) is to place
            a rectangle with the gradient you want over the pattern filled object
            and use the Overlay blend mode.

--
            Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
            --------------------------------------------------------------
            http://www.projectseven.com
            Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
            CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
            http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
            --------------------------------------------------------------
            • 3. Re: Define Fill Pattern and gradient it with color
              Level 7
              ODoyle Rules wrote:
              > using Fireworks 8. It's kind of like Photoshop

Actually... not really. It has some common functionality with Photoshop
              but Fireworks is more like Illustrator/Photoshop/ImageReady all rolled
              up into one more efficient and flexible application. At its core it's
              most similar to Illustrator as Fireworks is a vector/objects based
              application first and foremost. See here for more:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/fireworks/articles/why_fireworks.html

--
              Stéphane Bergeron
              reach:connect:communicate
              www.webfocusdesign.com
              blog:tutorials:articles:gallery
              www.pixelyzed.com