31 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2015 4:29 PM by Bill Gehrke

Overclocking vs Upgrading CPU?

barker85 Level 1

Hi there,

I am currently editing 4K RED footage in Premiere and want to improve the system. Playback at 1/2 resolution is generally adequate but overall the system is frequently causing problems and frustration.

At this point I am not sure whether I should overclock the current CPU or upgrade it. I currently have a 4790k and am considering upgrading to a 4930k.

I have neither overclocked nor replaced a CPU before and after researching both topics I am unsure as to which would be the better option. I am also unsure whether I would have to upgrade components such as PSU and/or cooling system in either instance or any other problems I could run into when taking either route.

Any thoughts on what configuration would be best would be hugely appreciated (I am low on funds so am leaning toward overclocking, though may have to avoid it if it is particularly time-consuming or fraught).

Current specs:

CPU: i7 4790k

RAM: 32GB

GPU: 970 GTX

PSU: 650w

Many thanks...

• 1. Re: Overclocking vs Upgrading CPU?
          RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

what is your cpu usage while editing, is it pegged at 100% or what?  is your storage up to the task of reading 4k red raw?

the 4790k uses a different socket than the 4930k. so you would need a new motherboard to upgrade. it might be a 15-20% boost, so if your cpu usage is constantly pegged high, that probably wont be enough.  overclocking varies from cpu to cpu. i dont know for your particular cpu how well it overclocks, difficult or easy. generally it requires a high quality motherboard and power supply. its very stressful on these components and if they aren't up to the task its gonna damage something. it also requires good cooling, which adds into even more costs. all of that extra time and trouble will get you 5-10% performance boost. again probably not enough if cpu usage is pegged high.

• 2. Re: Overclocking vs Upgrading CPU?
            barker85 Level 1

Hi there,

Thanks very much for the info.

The CPU usage is somewhat erratic but frequently hits 100%. The RAM is generally up at 28 of the 32GB.

Perhaps these are project/software related issues but there is occasional freezing of the program monitor and inability to stop playback, as well as sluggish response when moving clips, stills and even titles inside the timeline and stalling when copying/pasting anything.

In regard to storage, the OS and Previews/Cache are on SSDs and the media is on 10x 2TB 7400rpm USB3.0 drives as I cannot currently afford an appropriate hardware RAID.

" it might be a 15-20% boost, so if your cpu usage is constantly pegged high, that probably wont be enough. "

Thanks for the info - so upgrading the processor won't be enough? Please can you inform me what other areas would have to be upgraded?

• 3. Re: Overclocking vs Upgrading CPU?
              JEShort01 Level 4

Barker85,

You ask a simple question, but there could be some very important subtleties that are related here. So, I'll start blabbing away...

Regarding RED 4k, a OC'd 6-core would be VERY helpful. You MUST get:

- good cooler; you mention budget, so get one of the high end Cooler Master models (i.e. 212 EVO). Do NOT get a all-in-one water cooler if you want speed and budget is important

- definitely upgrade your power supply; I love Corsair AX models, but whatever you get, make sure it is rated highly at jonnyguru.com. I'd suggest 850 watts as a minimum.

Next, if I had to guess, you are not using the latest and greatest version of CC. Adobe has really improved how well Red 4k works in CC 2014.

Regards,

Jim

• 4. Re: Overclocking vs Upgrading CPU?
                ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

I would really suggest the X99 with the 5930K versus the X79 with the 4930K for 4K R3D. The DDr4 makes a large difference with performance on realtime playback.

Eric

ADK

• 5. Re: Overclocking vs Upgrading CPU?
                  Perhaps these are project/software related issues but there is occasional freezing of the program monitor and inability to stop playback, as well as sluggish response when moving clips, stills and even titles inside the timeline and stalling when copying/pasting anything.

this makes me wonder about the storage, do you have them configured in raid? are they in a single 10bay usb enclosure or multiple usb devices/connections?  and no way should it need high cpu just to do simple copy and paste...   if the ram is maxed out, performance can take a hit too.

CrystalDiskMark  

if you are low on funds and a major system upgrade isn't on the table right now, have you considered proxy editing?

• 6. Re: Overclocking vs Upgrading CPU?

The problem is the 28GB of ram usage of 32GB. The closer you get to the ceiling for ram the more latency the GPU acceleration will have. The USB 3 drives are also adding to that. USB3 bandwidth for single drives is the same but the latency is much higher than the drives on the sata controller. With the increased latency from the memory management so close to the ceiling of the system ram combined with the drive latency then the interfacing is going to more sluggish.

Eric

ADK

• 7. Re: Overclocking vs Upgrading CPU?
                      barker85 Level 1

Thanks very much for the info...

There are 6x drives in two-bay USB 3.0 docks and 4x drives inside the PC connected via SATA III.

I am using the latest version of Premiere (I have found this version to be much more problematic than previous versions).

I have been working on my main project since 2013, so it has been imported through various incarnations of PP (I read recently that it is best to stay in one version but I did not know this and have done significant amounts of work in different versions of the software). However, the problems with stalling on copy/paste and very sluggish response when moving/editing assets in the timeline occur even on brand new projects.

"if you are low on funds and a major system upgrade isn't on the table right now, have you considered proxy editing?"

Although I am editing my primary project (a documentary feature) for delivery in 2K, I frequently re-scale clips and there is almost 20TB worth of footage and many, many cuts so I really wanted to edit online. Can the offline/online process be problematic and time-consuming in long-form projects?

I was hoping that upgrading the CPU would be a panacea for editing at 1/2 resolution without problems. It might be feasible for me to upgrade the CPU, Motherboard and PSU (RAM on top of that would really be a stretch, although it sounds like this would be mandatory?), but a hardware RAID on top of all of that would be virtually impossible at present. If the current media drive configuration is a major culprit that would prevent any major benefits from upgrading components I would be very grateful to hear.

I have tried running resource manager - please find the results below (hopefully I have been looking at the right data. The media drives are D-O).

Many thanks...

Resource Monitor 1.jpg 2.jpg

3.jpg4.jpg

5.jpg6.jpg

• 8. Re: Overclocking vs Upgrading CPU?

proxy editing can be great when dealing with footage that takes alot of resources, be it from storage, cpu, or gpu.  however premiere is still lacking in this department, they still do not have a built in proxy system like many other NLE's. so its up to us to do this manually with transcodes, using media offline and relink.  they have improved the relink tool, but still has problems with some media types, such as image sequences. since you have such a massive project, that you are already so far into, i really wouldn't want to play around with that now and risk even more troubles.

so it looks like you have no raid at all, just media spread across drives? i sure hope there is a backup of all this, and offsite.  Eric from ADK makes a good point of the latency with usb. i haven't edited off usb so i dont know how much it bugs premiere...  windows can do "software raid", and while it used to be to much to handle in the past, its very minimal for the powerful cpu's of today. there are different versions of software raid in windows, depending on the version of windows. there are also affordable third party software raid programs.  i wouldn't want to do this with your current project, but maybe once its done or your next computer, you could buy a case that can hold 10 or 15+ hdd's and try building the software raid all internal, saving usb for backup disks.

the picture you added shows heavy spikes in a few spots it, but not terrible overall. if the blue line is high or maxed alot, then the system is waiting on the hdd's and could see some delay. you can also check for ram usage and hard faults in the memory tab. hard faults will have a graph and you can see them in green, and even very small spikes in the hard faults graph can lead to sluggish performance. this "hard fault" happens when  windows tries to make more space by removing data from ram to the hdds. you can check cpu, hdd, and ram until you can find a pattern, every time it acts sluggish.  it might always be one such as ram or multiple. these are just clues and best guesses when it comes to finding out why the system acts sluggish.  from what you've told us it does sound like the system wants more cpu power and ram.

if you upgraded to an intel i7-4xxx, it should use the same ddr3 ram, would just have to check the motherboard if you wanted to re-use your existing ram on an upgrade. however if upgrading, should upgrade to something more powerful, not spend time and money on a small performance boost. the intel i7-5xxx offer alot to performace, but will cost $600 to $1k for cpu alone, to get one worth the performance boost. these use more expensive ddr4 ram, which makes them faster, but wont re-use your old ram. most of these motherboards also have 8 slots to hold 64gb of ram if needed.  at that point, you are replacing almost everything, except the hdd's and gtx970.  so if you upgrade, it might be better to sell your existing system with one hdd and an old video card (if you have one laying around), and build one with the gtx970 and your hdds. if you upgrade you also have to deal with all your hdd's drive letters. if they aren't exactly the same, the project may not find these files and ask you to relink...

• 9. Re: Overclocking vs Upgrading CPU?
                          barker85 Level 1

Yes I am not using any kind of RAID (and yes everything is backed up). I had thought about using a software RAID 0 but was informed repeatedly that this was a very bad idea. Although I am inexperienced with that and not sure how likely it is that a drive might fail, I am indeed a long way into the project so perhaps it isn't best to start messing around with it at this stage if the existing drive configuration is working okay (and would still be okay if I upgraded?).

So the gains from upgrading to a better i7 4xxx with DDR3 would barely be worth it? I am wondering that with a 5930k and DDR4 would I need to go up to 64GB RAM and if the single 970 would be a sufficient GPU?

Many thanks...

• 10. Re: Overclocking vs Upgrading CPU?
                            Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Most of those disks show about 60 MB/second maximum transfer rates .  This most likely is your major bottleneck for any kind of media let alone multiple streams of your 4K media. Test by somehow temporarily abandoning all the USB 3 drives and just use the internal SATA 3 drives.  Chances are those USB 3 drives might even be green or 5400 rpm drives.  When you hook up three USB ports to those 6 drives they all share the limited USB bandwidth.  Also your drives are probably rather full and that is another cause of bad transfer rates anything over ~60% full and the transfer rates can fall off significantly;

• 11. Re: Overclocking vs Upgrading CPU?
                              barker85 Level 1

Thanks very much for the info Bill...

The drives are all the same model (Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200).

I have run benchmark tests with HD Tune Pro:

Benchmarks [Read]

Min 90 MB/s, Max 205 MB/s, Average 162 MB/s [SATA III]

Min 97 MB/s, Max 206 MB/s, Average 165 MB/s [USB 3.0]

File Benchmark [File Length 500MB]

79.2 MB/s (Read) / 84.6 MB/s (Write) [SATA III]

104.95 MB/s (Read) / 107.05 MB/s (Write) [USB 3.0]

Yes, they are all very full, all around 90% +.

"When you hook up three USB ports to those 6 drives they all share the limited USB bandwidth."

Does this mean that using 1 dock per drive (they are currently in 2 bay docks) would result in improved performance or is using multiple devices through USB the bottleneck? Would using 10x SATA III connections improve performance or would that result in the same problem?

Many thanks...

• 12. Re: Overclocking vs Upgrading CPU?

Great drives.as you can see from the maximum numbers, but since they are 90% full you really have a problem.

barker85 wrote:

Yes, they are all very full, all around 90% +.

Would using 10x SATA III connections improve performance or would that result in the same problem?

Many thanks...

You definitely need more drives and or larger drives as at 90% full as you can see from your own benchmarks performance really drops off tremendously.  SATA III connections are not sharing bandwidth so yes it would be advisable.  You might consider a few  larger disk drives in the process

• 13. Re: Overclocking vs Upgrading CPU?

have you tried what bill suggested earlier? testing some footage on your internal drives? you said you have an ssd? you could copy over some footage and create a new project with that, make sure all cache etc is using the ssd for the new project so the usb drives aren't in question. or as bill suggests even disconnect the usb drives. then see how that works, does it still run sluggish or does it work better? how does it handle copy and paste then?  if the ssd works fine, then test on internal hdd and see if it can still handle the data transfers...  if the ssd doesn't help any, then your looking at cpu/ram bottleneck...  

the raid setup, software or hardware can be tricky. it is always great to have some safety net with the raid, either from mirror or parity. i believe windows only lets you do mirror (raid 1) or stripe with no parity (raid 0). so windows raid 0 may not be a good idea unless you dont mind rebuilding and restoring the raid if one drive fails. there are third party software raid solutions, some offering more than what windows does, such as raid 5 and 6. the better option in your case with so many hdd's is raid 6. this allows for 1 or 2 hdd's to fail and still be able to use the raid. replacing the bad hdd(s) and keep on going. i haven't setup any raid 6, so i cant offer any advice on which hardware controllers or specific software to use. with either software or hardware raid, you would need to do some testing and simulate a drive failure, so when it does happen you can feel confident in replacing the bad hdd and not loosing/rebuilding the raid. this all gets complex and there is a chance just moving to internal sata and is good enough for transfer speeds and low latency...

if you are somewhere close to the end of this project i would suffer thru it and then between projects you can do any upgrades, or changes, and do any tests you'd like without worrying about disrupting your work and premiere.

• 14. Re: Overclocking vs Upgrading CPU?
                                    barker85 Level 1

I have tested running PP with a brand new project, saving everything to the second SSD (as well as pasting the test video file there). With this there were no problems with copy/paste, loading clips or editing assets in the timelime. Playback at 1/2 was generally fine (as it usually is with longer cuts in the main project, when the clip has loaded), though there was some initial freezing on the program monitor.

I have tested disconnecting the 6x drives connected via USB 3.0 and this seemed to make no difference on my main project. I also tried saving the project on the second SSD (the previews and cache were already there) and this seemed not to make a difference either.

I do not have any additional 7200rpm drives to test with presently but might the drives being so full actually be causing a lot of this? If so what % would I have to get them down to in order to provide high functionality?

I'm not sure if it makes any difference, or how relatively large it is, but my main project has grown to 900+ MB (primarily after extensive use of Warp Stabiliser on footage for one sequence, as it was around 230MB before this).

P.S. I had been editing my main project on a laptop with half the spec previously and did not have any of these problems (although I could only work at 1/4 resolution instead of 1/2 and the latency on playback between quick cuts on multiple clips was probably worse) - the sluggish copy/paste, the program monitor freezing/inability to stop at times, and asset editing problems seem to have arisen with the 2014 versions of PP.

Many thanks...

• 15. Re: Overclocking vs Upgrading CPU?

Well typically you have to pay for more features with much more code for new versions which might affect performance but surprisingly with our PPBM benchmark the performance actually has improved  Our benchmark has the exact same timelines for testing Premiere 6, CC (Premiere 7) and CC 2014 .(Premiere 8).  So I doubt we can blame it on the software.  I have found Premiere 8 to run our benchmark faster than than Premiere 6.  Of course there may be some other effects or features that we did not include in PPBM that could run slower but in general Premiere 8 is appreciable faster than Premiere 6.

I believe that your problem (in addition to your RAM problem that Eric addressed) is the fullness of your disk drives.  Here is a read performance plot of a Seagate 2TB disk drive to illustrate what is happening as the disk gets full.

HD-Tune-2TB-Seagate-read.jpg

Notice, that when you start using the disk you will have a Read rate of about 170 MB/second but as the disk fills up to 90% the read rate has fallen to less than 100 MB/second.  I have some exceptional USB 3 flash drives that have read rates of 180 MB/second that I use on this laptop for holding the AVCHD media and very smoothly editing three camera timelines and they work great for those read applications.  I got very enthused about these drives and proceeded to buy several more of them, but the vendor changed the memory chips with no change of part numbe  and the next ones I bought would not give good playback editing.  I measured the read performance and it had dropped to 90 MB/second and therefore was unusable for my editing.   Your 4K media is much more demanding.

• 16. Re: Overclocking vs Upgrading CPU?

I have tested running PP with a brand new project, saving everything to the second SSD (as well as pasting the test video file there). With this there were no problems with copy/paste, loading clips or editing assets in the timelime. Playback at 1/2 was generally fine (as it usually is with longer cuts in the main project, when the clip has loaded), though there was some initial freezing on the program monitor.

so it does sound like the external hdds are part of the performance problem.  you said earlier that you tested a new project with footage from the external hdd's and it was still sluggish, the only thing that changed was using the internal ssd.

to add to bills point with the full hdds, one problem when a hdd gets full is fragmentation. you may want to see how fragmented they are in windows defrag. its a good idea to run a check disk first before defragmenting. this can help with speeds if the files are heavily fragmented. since your test with the ssd suggests the hdd's are causing some of the sluggishness, defrag might help some.

I'm not sure if it makes any difference, or how relatively large it is, but my main project has grown to 900+ MB (primarily after extensive use of Warp Stabiliser on footage for one sequence, as it was around 230MB before this).

i think there are or at least were, problems with large project files in the past. while it might be part of the problem, your tests with new projects suggest multiple bottlenecks. some people do split up the edit by using multiple sequences or even multiple projects, to 10-15 minutes sections. then at the end bringing them together in a master sequence or project.  the different versions of premiere might be handling your footage better or worse. since premiere 8.2 uses a different project file format, it supposedly cannot be opened by older versions. so you may not be able to go back to an older version for this project, even if it does work better.

• 17. Re: Overclocking vs Upgrading CPU?
                                          barker85 Level 1

So it looks like if I allow more space on the media drives then upgrade the processor and memory then I should be good to go (i.e. no RAID required)?

I am still not sure how much space the media HDDs require (would it entail taking them to as low as 60% full?) and if 32GB DDR4 is sufficient or if I'd have to go to 64GB. If anyone could please clarify I'd greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks...

• 18. Re: Overclocking vs Upgrading CPU?

Small technicality.

".....since premiere 8.2 uses a different project file format, it supposedly cannot be opened by older versions. so you may not be able to go back to an older version for this project, even if it does work better."

Premiere 8.2 does not have a different version of the project file than say Premiere 7.  It is just than you can never go backward and open a file in an earlier version of Premiere

• 19. Re: Overclocking vs Upgrading CPU?

barker85 wrote:

So it looks like if I allow more space on the media drives then upgrade the processor and memory then I should be good to go (i.e. no RAID required)?

I am still not sure how much space the media HDDs require (would it entail taking them to as low as 60% full?) and if 32GB DDR4 is sufficient or if I'd have to go to 64GB. If anyone could please clarify I'd greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks...

1.  Difficult question since I am not doing much with 4k.  I would guess you might get by without RAID, but only time will tell.  Check the transfer rate requirements of your media.  I am assuming that RoninEdits question of "is your storage up to the task of reading 4k red raw?" is not not the case and you are not editing 4K red raw.  Any HD raw requires RAID or SSD's!

2.  The percentage of drive fullness has to be tested by you, it is dependent on specific disk drives and your utilization of how many tracks you are reading.  If Eric has said 64 GB then it is correct.

• 20. Re: Overclocking vs Upgrading CPU?

32GB of DDR4 is good enough with the X99 and 4K media with Premiere as long as you have the 8 Core CPU and under. However your drives really should be under 60% capacity used or they start slowing down allot unless their SSD's.

Eric

ADK

• 21. Re: Overclocking vs Upgrading CPU?

Bill Gehrke wrote:

Small technicality. Premiere 8.2 does not have a different version of the project file than say Premiere 7.  It is just than you can never go backward and open a file in an earlier version of Premiere

this is my understanding,  A note on Premiere Pro CC 2014.1 project files  

"Premiere Pro CC 2014.1 brought multiple new features to the application, and as a result, it was necessary to upgrade to a new project version"

• 22. Re: Overclocking vs Upgrading CPU?
                                                    barker85 Level 1

So I am now planning to order upgrades, in order to end up with the system below. If I have overlooked/misjudged anything I would be very grateful to hear.

Processor: i7 5930k

GPU: GTX 970 (x1)

Memory: Crucial DDR4 32GB (4X8GB)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4

PSU: Corsair TX850 850w

Cooler: 212 EVO

Storage: 4x Additional 7200rpm 2TB Drives (totalling 14) + SATA III Expansion Cards

If this is in order I have just a few additional questions...

In regard to housing 14x SATA III Drives - my casing can only fit 7x drives. I am wondering what might be the best solution to safely house the others? I cannot seem to find any (not highly expensive) rack/bracket products for internal/external use but perhaps I am searching using incorrect terminology.

Additionally, my Windows 7 disc is from Dell (my current PC is unbranded and pre-built from a custom supplier), I am not sure if this makes any difference at all?

Many thanks...

• 23. Re: Overclocking vs Upgrading CPU?
                                                      JEShort01 Level 4

You will really like the new x99 system for Red 4k!

I like to use lots of external drives and WAY prefer SFF-8088 connectors (or the newer faster version SFF-8644 12g cables). They support 4x SATA (and SAS) vs. eSATA 1x SATA.

Here are some photos of Sans Digital TowerRAID cases that support two 4x cables each for 8-drive tower cases. Fast, full SATA support (Windows is less isolated from the drives w/ SATA vs. USB 3.0, firewire, Thunderbolt, etc.); i.e. you can set the fastest cache modes that are often missing w/ USB style connections.

Dell T7600 Super Titan & CC = fast, fast, fast!

I use Areca cards, but you can still use the same style cabling with cables, adapters, etc from PC-pitstop.com.

Regards,

Jim

• 24. Re: Overclocking vs Upgrading CPU?

windows 7 had a stricter license than windows 8. if i remember right, you aren't suppose to be able to transfer it to a new computer. if its a dell cd its going to want a dell computer.

you can look for a case that holds 10 or more 3.5inch drives, and also has 3 or more 5.25 bays. then use a cage to convert the 5.25 bays to hold even more 3.5 inch drives.  there are a handful of 10bay cases, and i did find a 12 bay and a 13 bay. some of the 5.25 bay converters will use 2 x 5.25 bays and hold 3 x 3.5 inch drives, or 3 x 5.25 bays into 5 x 3.5 inch bays. depending on which case and bay converters, you can get around 13 to 18 x 3.5inch bays. Lian-Li has a case that has 20 x 3.5 inch bays and 5 x 5.25 inch bays, the PC-D8000. Lian Li PC-D8000 Review

the other thing is your power supply, now you need one that has that lots of hdd power leads. there are some that have 16 sata connectors, such as the Corsair AX1200i. the Lian-Li PC-D8000 also supports two power supplies, using the second one to power some of the hdds. you can use a dual psu adapter so both turn on at the same time.

take a look at the Asus X99-A. it should handle overclocking better if you ever try it. if you plan on trying overclocking, you may want to invest in a capable cooler now instead of the 212 evo. you can still run stock now and then when you get time to figure out the OC, you will have all the gear ready to try.

• 25. Re: Overclocking vs Upgrading CPU?
                                                          barker85 Level 1

Thanks very much for the info RoninEdits...

Does this mean that using a Dell disc might actually cause problems with the system, or is it a licensing/validation issue?

P.S. I am working with 4K RAW files, apologies for not clarifying that earlier

• 26. Re: Overclocking vs Upgrading CPU?

its mostly a license issue. if i remember right, windows 7 was very strict, while the windows 8 license allowed you to transfer it to another computer. oem (dell) versions of windows usually dont allow for any transfer. if you have a sticker on the dell with the windows key, you could try installing it, but when activating online might not accept the key. if you do have to buy windows, microsoft announced they will give away a free copy of windows 10 to windows 7/8 owners for the first year. if they keep to their word, its probably going to be a worthy update.

bill suggested raid/ssd for the 4k red raw...  bill and eric would know better

• 27. Re: Overclocking vs Upgrading CPU?
                                                              JEShort01 Level 4

I can't speak for all Dells, but all of mine that are licensed for Win7 have COA stickers (license #'s) whereas the Win8/8.1 units all use the same install disk and seem to pick up some kind of licensing from the system itself.

• 28. Re: Overclocking vs Upgrading CPU?
                                                                barker85 Level 1

If anyone would please be able to clarify whether using 7200rpm drives for R3D RAW 4K files via SATA III is sufficient or if I will actually have to find a RAID solution I would greatly appreciate it. I initially thought that it might be presumed that I was talking about RAW files but perhaps that is not the case and apologies if not.

Many thanks...

• 29. Re: Overclocking vs Upgrading CPU?

Absolutely not!

4K at 24fps RAW - 4096 x 2304 x 24 x 12 / 8 / 1024 / 1024 = 324MB/s ..

After REDCODE RAW compression this is reduced to about 28MB/s (224Mb/s)

• 30. Re: Overclocking vs Upgrading CPU?
                                                                    barker85 Level 1

Thanks very much for the info Bill...

So unless I'm missing something here, the actual requirement is only 28MB/s, so I should be perfectly fine with the Seagate drives and without a RAID?

Many thanks...

• 31. Re: Overclocking vs Upgrading CPU?

Well you did say RAW and not the compressed version.  So yes, for your media standard disk drives should work fine as long as you install it on a SATA III port, turn off compression on the drive, keep it defragmented and do not fill over 60-70% full