2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2007 8:17 PM by Newsgroup_User

Actionscript Ignores Layers...

mbrellisford
      I have a movie that I created using actionscript that I want to fade in...

I created a fade in movie clip on a layer above the actionscript....

The fade in works (background images fade in) but everything that was created using actions doesn't....

Is there a way to fix this problem? (using a this.onTopOfAllActionscript haha)
      Thanks
        • 1. Re: Actionscript Ignores Layers...
          Level 7
          mbrellisford

> I have this whole movie that I created using actionscript and I
          > want it to fade in...

Okay.

> I created a movie clip on a layer above the actionscript and
          > placed the movie clip on that....

Aha. Well, there's an important thing you should know. Once your SWF
          is compiled, those layers are gone. They're an organizational metaphor for
          authoring, but the concept of "layers" is translated, though a complex
          process, into "depths," so ActionScript doesn't really ignore layers, but it
          doesn't treat them the way you might expect.

> The fade in work (background images fade in) but everything
          > that was created using actions doesn't....

Target your ActionScripted work *inside* a movie clip, then use
          ActionScript to fade that movie clip in. I couldn't really tell from your
          post, so I'm not sure if you're already doing that (or trying to). You said

> I created a movie clip on a layer above the actionscript

... then ...

> placed the movie clip on that

What movie clip? ActionScript doesn't create content that you can place
          on the timeline by hand, so I'm not sure which movie clip you're putting
          where. But in any case, you can either create an empty movie clip, give
          that an instance name, and aim your scripted visuals at that clip -- in
          which case its layer position will still work in comparison to other layered
          movie clips -- or you can create this empty movie clip with ActionScript.

David Stiller
          Adobe Community Expert
          Dev blog, http://www.quip.net/blog/
          "Luck is the residue of good design."

• 2. Re: Actionscript Ignores Layers...
            kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
            i'm sure there is. what code are you using that's not working?

p.s. layers in flash are an authoring environment convenience and don't exist (as such) after publication. all on-stage objects are assigned a depth by flash and those depths are influenced by the layer an object is in.