• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When saving a PDF from a FrameMaker book, is it possible to set document filenames as bookmarks in the PDF?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2015 Feb 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When saving a PDF from a FrameMaker book, is it possible to set document filenames as bookmarks in the PDF? Currently when I have a Framemaker book that I want to save as a PDF, I choose Save Book As and then choose PDF for the file format. A dialog box comes up in which I can choose the Bookmarks tab and choose which tagged content I want to be made into bookmarks in the PDF file. What if I would rather have the filename of a document rather than the chapter title be a bookmark in the PDF? Is that possible? Where would I choose that option? Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 12, 2015 Feb 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two ways that you could do this. You can either use postscript text frames and enter the correct pdfmark entries to show the file name with the corresponding actions (i.e. where to go in the PDF) or you can use hidden text in FM and the "Filename (Short) " variable in a unique paratag to be picked up by FM's bookmark creation.

To go the pdfmark route, see http://www.pdflib.com/fileadmin/pdflib/pdf/pdfmark_primer.pdf for details and also consult the Adobe Pdfmark Reference manual (http://www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/devnet/acrobat/pdfs/pdfmark_reference.pdf).

The hidden text route would use FM's Color Views to specify a colour as Invisible. This will make the content visually disappear from the screen (and any output), but FM will still be able to read the contents of any text that is coloured with the Invisible colour(s).

1. Pick or create a colour that you want to be invisible. [Magenta is usually a good bet and stands out visually].

2. Set that colour to be invisible in View 1 and visible in View 6. [you can use the shortcut <esc> v 1 and <esc> v 6 to toggle between the views.]

3. Create a paratag to use for the filename and set the font colour to use the invisible colour.

3. In the title of each chapter file, drop an anchored frame that is set to be outside of the text frame [so it won't interfere with any other content].

4. In that AFrame, insert a text frame and use the invisible paratag defined in step 3.

5. Insert the Filename (Short) variable in that text frame.

6. Repeat steps for all files to be included in the bookmarks.

When creating the PDF bookmarks, select only the paratag used for the invisible colour.

Don't forget to toggle the View to be invisible (i.e. <esc> v 1  - this also works at the book level for all files in the book).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2015 Feb 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I will have to try those, but I don't really want to have to repeat all the steps for every document in a book. Could I do those steps in a document template and then import the template over the other documents in the book?

The filename is included in the footer of the document template on the master pages. I tried changing the paratag for just the filename to FN-FileName on the master page and then importing the chapter template over all the documents in my test book. I then tried to save the book as a PDF and choose FN-FileName as one of the paratags I want made into a bookmark instead of the chapter title. For some reason, it made bookmarks out of all other tagged content I told it to but not the filename.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 20, 2015 Feb 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Simply create the anchored frame in a text frame on a Reference page of your template file, then you will always have this available to copy& paste this to respective location in the files.

FM will not pull any content from a Master page nor any object not in a flow for any generated item, including bookmarks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines