5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2015 10:57 AM by lauram75620184

How do I upgrade from Lightroom 1 to 4 or 5?

lauram75620184

I have registered my Lightroom 1, but it doesn't show as being registered in Creative Cloud. When I go to add the serial number, it says it's already registered and I can't add it. It's not syncing, even though my email addresses are the same. I figure there will be a cost involved from upgrading from 1 to any other version which I am okay with, but the only options I can find are to buy new, as it's not registering that I've paid for Lightroom 1. Or, because it's so old does it not matter and I just have to start from scratch?

I tried to do the online chat with Adobe, but it kept giving me an error on the page and pointing me to the forums.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: How do I upgrade from Lightroom 1 to 4 or 5?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's possible to upgrade to Lightroom 5 from any previous version, including Lightroom 1. If Lightroom 1 is still installed on your computer then the installation of a Lightroom 5 upgrade will find the serial number. Then you will have to enter the serial number from Lightroom 5 as well. It takes both serial numbers to activate an upgrade version. If Lightroom 1 isn't still installed on your computer you may need that serial number available to enter along with the new one. You mentioned the creative cloud. Are you subscribing to the creative cloud? What operating system are you using?

• 2. Re: How do I upgrade from Lightroom 1 to 4 or 5?
            lauram75620184 Level 1

Thank you Jim! You mention the serial number of Lightroom 5. I haven't purchased the 5 version yet - do I do that first to obtain a serial number? I just didn't want to have to pay full price if I don't have to! I thought through the 1 I could "upgrade" some how. I do have version 1 still installed on my computer. Just not sure how to get to version 5 from here..... When I click on "upgrade" through version 1 it takes me to the upgrade page for version 1.4.1 and it's no longer a valid URL.

I am using Windows 8.

I just have the free version of Creative Cloud.. just playing around with photography and editing for now. If I need to purchase a paid version of Creative Cloud I can do that.

Thank you for your help and quick reply.

• 3. Re: How do I upgrade from Lightroom 1 to 4 or 5?
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I cannot make the decision for you about subscribing to the creative cloud. It's an excellent program, and it provides you access to the latest Photoshop and Lightroom. If you have installed Lightroom 5 as a trial version from the creative cloud then it will be necessary for you to uninstall that installation because it cannot be activated with a serial number. It is the same program, but it is licensed completely differently. If you really want to purchase Lightroom 5, then you can purchase it from the following website:

Products

Lightroom is toward the bottom of the page. You'll notice that it says that you can upgrade from $79. When you click on the buy Link you should be able to purchase an upgrade. When you do you will be sent instructions on where to download the program from, and you will be provided with your serial number.

If you decide to subscribe to the creative cloud then you won't have a serial number for Lightroom or Photoshop. Both programs are activated using your Adobe ID and password. And you won't need your Lightroom 1 serial number because you aren't purchasing an upgrade.

• 4. Re: How do I upgrade from Lightroom 1 to 4 or 5?
                lauram75620184 Level 1

Thanks Jim! I will try that now I appreciate all your time and help! I think that's the answer I was looking for.

• 5. Re: How do I upgrade from Lightroom 1 to 4 or 5?
                  lauram75620184 Level 1

It worked!!!! I am forever grateful. Thank you!!!