27 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2015 6:22 AM by A.T. Romano

Problems burning to DVD

popto Level 1

When I insert a blank DVD-R, click Publish+share and select to burn to DVD, the burner location field is blank, when I click scan nothing happens and the status says "No burners detected". How do I fix this so I can burn to DVD.

• 1. Re: Problems burning to DVD
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Set your Premiere Elements DVD output to a folder on your hard drive and then use the FREE Imgburn to burn the folder to disc for DVD... Premiere Elements 13 WILL write a DVD or BluRay to an ISO (send the author a PayPal donation if you like his program)

Read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1322583 for notes on installing Imgburn WITHOUT any toolbar add-ons... Set Imgburn to use the slowest burn speed your drive and media will use... I set my burn speed to 1x and let Imgburn adjust to the actual minimum

Imgburn will read the ACTUAL disc brand from the disc, which is not always the same as the box label (some vendors buy "anything" and putting it inside their box)

When you write to disc with Imgburn, use the SLOWEST possible speed setting, so your burner has the best chance to create "good, well formed" laser burn holes... since no DVD player is required to read a burned disc, having a "good" one from a high quality blank will help

• 2. Re: Problems burning to DVD
            A.T. Romano Level 7

popto

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer system is it running?

There is no ImgBurn for Mac as far as I know.

If you are not in a time crunch to get your DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc from Premiere Elements burn to disc and not burn to folder or (depending on the version) iso image, then consider

1. Uninstall, free ccleaner run through (regular cleaner and registry cleaner parts), reinstall with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

Mac

CCleaner - Download

Windows

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

There is an Adobe document dealing with burner recognition, but it is described for Windows XP and Windows Vista. I would need to see if would work

with Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

Please do not hesitate to ask questions or ask for clarification.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Problems burning to DVD
              popto Level 1

I am using Adobe Premeire Elements 12 on a Dell computer with a Windows 8

OS.

• 4. Re: Problems burning to DVD
                A.T. Romano Level 7

popto

Thanks for the additional information.

Is the "no burner recognized" issue one where "it never worked before" or "it worked before but not now"?

You might want to explore John's suggestion with regard to the burn to folder to assure that you can create a DVD-VIDEO

on DVD with the VIDEO_TS Folder that you will get from the burn to folder route. You might want to check out this how to

supplement the information that you already have.

How to burn a DVD Folder with ImgBurn - AfterDawn: Guides

Depending on how that goes, then please consider the uninstall/free ccleaner/resinstall that I suggested in the prior post.

We will be watching for your results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: Problems burning to DVD
                  popto Level 1

The "No burner available" issue is one where "It worked before but not now."

• 6. Re: Problems burning to DVD
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

popto

Thanks for the good news that this is a "it worked before but not now" situation. A ray of hope in all that.

1. try the deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 12.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then delete the

whole 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Make sure that Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders,

and Drives is enabled so that you can see the path cited above. Go through File Explorer in your Windows 8 64 bit to get to the Folder

Options dialog where you can confirm whether or not the option is enabled.

2. I would prefer to avoid the uninstall/reinstall route at all costs since I have found 12/12.1 to be the hardest of the programs to reinstall after

an uninstall. But that is the most likely candidate for resolving the issue.

Let us see how "1" turns out and then be guided by that result.

Thank you.

ATR

• 7. Re: Problems burning to DVD
                      popto Level 1

I am unable to find this folder. Is there another way to locate it?

• 8. Re: Problems burning to DVD
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

popto

Thanks for the update.

Are you looking for the Folder Option dialog to make sure you do not have any hidden folders?

Or, have you unhidden files, folders, and drives and cannot find the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file?

If you have hidden files, folders, and drives disabled, then you are not going to see the file or the folder that it is in.

If in search of the Folder Options dialog...

Windows 8 or 8.1 64 bit

• Computer keyboard Windows Key+X to bring up list which includes File Explorer
                        • Click on File Explorer to open it and select its View Tab
                        • Click on "Options" in View Tab display to bring up Folders Options dialog
                        • In the Folder Options dialog, click on View Tab
                        • Scroll down to "Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives" and enable it by placing a dot to the left of that option.

Please review the above and then please let me know the results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 9. Re: Problems burning to DVD
                          popto Level 1

Ok, I did this successfully. What is the next step?

• 10. Re: Problems burning to DVD
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

popto

Great news. Great job.

From your message it sounds like you found the Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives and assured that it was enabled.

Did you then go back and found and delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and, if necessary, the whole 12.0 Folder as suggested in the prior post?

1. try the deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 12.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then delete the

whole 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists

If you have not done this yet, that is the next step.

We will be watching for your progress later in the morning.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 11. Re: Problems burning to DVD
                              popto Level 1

That's is where I am having the issue. When I select drive C, I do not see

any of the folders/ destinations you listed after that, such as the like

user, owner, app data in order to find the 12.0 prefs folder. Will you

please advise further?

On Saturday, February 14, 2015, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 12. Re: Problems burning to DVD
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

popto

Thanks for the reply. Please review

Windows 8 64 bit

Please get to File Explorer. The way I do it is to use the computer keyboard Windows Key + X to bring up a list of places which includes File Explorer. Or you could just go to the view with all the Apps and type File Explorer and then click on the File Explorer panel that appears.

In File Explorer, click on My PC.

Under Devices and Drives, double click Windows 8_OS (C:) to open to a list of folders. In the list of folders, you should find the starting point Users for the

path we need to follow to get to Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and the 12.0 Folder in which it exists. That Users Folder starting point is shown in the

following screenshot after the Program Data Folder entry and before the Windows Folder entry. Please ignore the highlighting on the Intel Folder in the list.

Capture.JPG

In the path that you will follow, where I have "Owner" after I double clicked "Users",

instead you will probably see your name as the owner and not the word Owner. Double click that folder to continue on in the path cited.

Please let us know if the above targets the path.

Thanks.

ATR

• 13. Re: Problems burning to DVD
                                  popto Level 1

I found a 12.0 folder. The path I followed to get to it is (C), program

data, then there is the Adobe folder. From this point I discovered there is

an Elements Organized folder and a Premiere Elements folder and the both

have a 12.0 folder. Can you tell me what I am suppose to be looking for in

the 12.0 folder so I will know the correct folder to go into?

On Saturday, February 14, 2015, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 14. Re: Problems burning to DVD
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

popto

From what you wrote you went off the path....

The ultimate goal is to delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and, if that does not, you delete the whole 12.0 Folder in which it exists.

You do not want to go anywhere near "Program Data" under Local Disk C. You want Local Disk C and Users Folder..

This is the starting point...

Users.JPG

Then double click Folders going in the sequence

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

whole 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Make sure that Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders,

and Drives is enabled so that you can see the path cited above. Go through File Explorer in your Windows 8 64 bit to get to the Folder

Options dialog where you can confirm whether or not the option is enabled.

Do not delete anything until you find the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file in the 12.0 Folder in the path cited.

Please let us know if you are OK with the information and where you need further clarification.

Thank you.

ATR

• 15. Re: Problems burning to DVD
                                      popto Level 1

I followed the path you outlined and had to delete the whole 12.0 folder.

And still, when I go to Publish+share, Disc, DVD, the status still says "no

burners detected". Clicking rescan doesn't resolve the issue either. What

other solution is there?

• 16. Re: Problems burning to DVD
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

popto

Thanks for looking at the troubleshooting suggestions.

If you have just a DVD CD burner rather than a Blu-ray DVD CD burner, then please go through the following to

determine if it is something that you want to explore.

CD, DVD drive not recognized after Adobe application install | Windows

What other burn software do your have on your computer? Nero burning software?

Do you have access to an USB external DVD burner for comparative purposes?

Can you remember any major changes to your computer from when the DVD burner was recognized by Premiere Elements to now

when it is not? Is it only Premiere Elements that does not recognize the burner? Can you see the burner listed under

Computer/Devices with Removable Storage? Any updates for the burner driver or firmware?

ATR

• 17. Re: Problems burning to DVD
                                          popto Level 1

I'm not sure if I have a Blu-Ray burner as well.

I have no other burn software.

I do not have access to a USB external burner.

The only change I can remember is seeing a "computer updating" message when

I turned it back on for the first time after a few weeks using for editing

a project.

Premier Elements is the only software I use a burner for.

I went to control panel, device manager, disk drives,

ST500LT012-1DG143,  ST500LT012-1DG143

properties, and there I see an "update driver" button. Would it help to

select that?

• 18. Re: Problems burning to DVD
                                            popto Level 1

I'm also looking under devices and printers, devices, hardware, PLDS DVD+RW

DU-8A5HH, and the device status says working properly.

• 19. Re: Problems burning to DVD
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

popto

Thanks for the additional information.

Based on PLDS DVD+RWDU-8A5HH, I think that is a DVD burner and not a combination Blu-ray and DVD burner. So, that Adobe article on burner recognition

solution might be a consideration. But please read it carefully before making any decision whether you feel comfortable with the procedure.

Sometimes the uninstall reinstall does that job of correcting this type of problem. But, you have been there and done that.

I think that the ST500LT012-1DG143,  ST500LT012-1DG143 represents a hard drive.

Please check online using PLDS DVD+RWDU-8A5HH to determine if there are any driver update

for that burner or what is called Firmware update. Do you still have free access to Dell to ask it about burner updates

(drivers/firmware)?

ATR

• 20. Re: Problems burning to DVD
                                                popto Level 1

This honestly sounds like a complicated/risky procedure and I am not a

computer profession to understand all of it. I realize I have uninstalled

and reinstalled the software before but do you think that would be a quick/

simple fix for the issue?

• 21. Re: Problems burning to DVD
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

popto

Thanks for the view of the Adobe document's solution for getting Premiere Elements to recognize the burner.

Do you have any contact with a computer shop that might go through the procedure with you or do the job itself at no charge or a small charge?

I do not want you spending more money for the solution than you did for the program.

The easiest way would be to go with the workaround of the Premiere Elements burn to folder, followed by putting the VIDEO_TS Folder from the saved folder

on the DVD disc with ImgBurn. If you had never gotten that burner to be recognized by Premiere Elements, I could understand that. But, since it has worked before, that makes this ever so much more challenging.

Do you have iTunes installed on your computer along with Premiere Elements? If so, you might consider an uninstall of that to determine if it has any

impact on the Premiere Elements burner issue. If not, you could just reinstall iTunes.

ATR

• 22. Re: Problems burning to DVD
                                                    popto Level 1

I'm willing to try the workaround. I also actually do have iTunes. I

downloaded it about a month ago. So I should uninstall it to see If I can

burn to DVD then?

• 23. Re: Problems burning to DVD
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

popto

We will be watching for the outcome from the iTune uninstall.

If necessary, we will go over with you the details of the Premiere Elements burn to folder

where you take the VIDEO_TS Folder from the folder saved to the hard drive and then

import that VIDEO_TS Folder into ImgBurn for the burn to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc.

The details on the ImgBurn side can be found

How to burn a DVD Folder with ImgBurn - AfterDawn: Guides

but we can go over them if you prefer.

The major thought is to watch out for unwanted carry along programs that might get download

and installed besides ImgBurn.

ATR

• 24. Re: Problems burning to DVD
                                                        popto Level 1

Excited to say I finally got the project to burn to DVD. I uninstalled the

iTunes app and Adobe Premiere Software and reinstalled the Adobe software

and the DVD drive status said ready. Thanks for your help and patience.

• 25. Re: Problems burning to DVD
                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

popto

I cannot put enough greats in front of the great news of that burn to. Great job of follow through.

If you time permits, you may want to check out the following about iTunes and my burner recognition issue

a while back

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: Burner Location: No Burners Found

But right now the important thing is that you can move forward with your burn to disc workflows.

Best wishes

ATR

• 26. Re: Problems burning to DVD
                                                            Johnsmith57

Use some pro tools. I found a well-reviewed program named Adoreshare DVD Creator. It may help you. I am not sure 100%

• 27. Re: Problems burning to DVD
                                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

johnsmith57

Premiere Elements can do the job and did it well - like a pro. The problem that was reported by popto here was resolved addressing program conflicts including programs uninstall reinstall.

ATR