A wild guess. Are you on windows use a high resolution display and Adobe experimental 200% UI. I only make that guess because the 144 is twice 72....
Hey! Nope, working on a regular 24" Full HD display plugged to rMBP.
I also miss read your append I see you set the 72 or 144. That you state Photoshop set the odd 22.86. This may be happening because of some action your using. Action have a problem dealing with size. So they will scale images to a particular size. Image size with resample NOT checked. All pixels remain the same only the DPI resolution changes. The action can now do its work for the now known size. I solved the problem by writing scripts to be used within actions. With one of my scripts an action can save an images resolution then scale the image do its work. Then restore the images resolution.
Crafting Actions Package UPDATED Aug 10, 2014 Added Conditional Action steps to Action Palette Tips.
- Action Actions Palette Tips.txt
- Action Creation Guidelines.txt
- Action Dealing with Image Size.txt
- Action Enhanced via Scripted Photoshop Functions.txt
- CraftedActions.atn Sample Action set includes an example Watermarking action
- Sample Actions.txt Photoshop CraftedActions set saved as a text file.
- More then a dozen Scripts for use in actions