1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 13, 2015 2:08 PM by ssprengel

Lightroom Bug: with GoPro Hero4 Silver Lens Profile, crop settings do not sync properly in Lightroom 5.7.1 when Constrain To Warp is checked

lens-based artist

I was having a bit of difficultly in getting crop settings to properly sync in Lightroom 5.7.1 (running on OS X 10.10.1) when Constrain to Warp was checked.  This appears to be a bug in the latest version(s) of Lightroom that include(s) the GoPro Hero4 Silver Lens Profile settings.  I'm working with a lot of files from a GoPro Hero4 Silver camera shot in the time-lapse / interval timer mode.  All of them are horizontal with the same resolution (and dimensions).  I've tried various sequences to get this to work in terms of using Auto-Sync, resetting the settings on all images except one and then copy and pasting settings, etc, though the crop is not properly syncing regardless of what I do.

Here's are instructions of how to duplicate this issue (there are some extra details/steps here, though this should be clear enough to produce the same result):

1.  in the Develop settings for a single selected image, go to Lens Corrections, click to Enable Profile Corrections (in the Profile tab), and then pick the GoPro Hero4 Silver Edition (Adobe Profile) if it is not automatically chosen for you (if you are using files from a Hero4 Silver camera).  After this, click on the Manual tab, and set the Scale setting to 76.  (as you will see, you now have the full horizontal width of the image that was getting cropped off, though you do see white around the edges that have been warped/shaped to correct the fisheye distortion)

2.  Press the R key (or click on the Crop Overlay tool just below the histogram).  Change the Aspect option to Custom.  Click to unlock the lock next to it (this seems to re-lock after setting to custom even if it was locked before).  Place a checkmark next to the Constrain To Warp option.  (At this point, you'll see the image gets cropped back to an approximately 4:3 ratio and the full horizontal width is not included in the cropped area)  Click the upper right most corner of the crop area and drag as much to the right and top as it lets you go.  Do the same for the lower left corner, dragging it as far to the bottom left as you can go.  (Now, you will see that your cropped area is the maximum rectangular width and height you can select without getting any of the excessive white area)  Click the Close button (or press R again) to leave the crop overlay tool.

3.  Press G to go back to the grid of images.  Make sure the image you just adjusted the settings for is the only one selected.  Right click on it, go to Develop Settings, and click Copy Settings.  Click Check All on the window that appears and then click Copy.

4.  De-select the image you were working on.  Select multiple other images in the grid.  Right click on one of these, go to Develop Settings, and click Paste Settings.  (at this point, you will see their aspect ratio has become more panoramic than the 4:3 aspect ratio the images previously were)

5.  De-select these images.  Select one of these image, and then press D to go to the Develop settings for this image.  Press R to go to the Crop Overlay tool.  Here you will see the bug where the crop was not properly copied over from the first image.  The selected area is smaller than the full width and height available to crop.

It seems that the bug is that Lightroom is only copying the aspect ratio (and the other settings), but not the actual crop selection.

I just thought of a workaround that I've tested and can confirm works (and will also work in a slightly different workflow than above).  In step 1 above, for the Model (and Profile), manually pick the "GoPro Hero4 Black Edition" or the "GoPro Hero3-Silver Edition".  If using the "Hero3-Silver" setting, the Scale (also in step 1 above) need only be set to 79 (rather than 76 for the Hero4 profiles).  By picking one of these Lens Profiles and doing everything else the same as the other steps above, the crop settings do copy and paste properly.  This does also appear to work properly when selecting the "GoPro Hero3-White Edition" Lens Profile, with a Scale setting of 75, which yields a slightly more rectilinear image (with a wider aspect ratio -- almost, but not quite 16:9).

While this isn't too big of deal as it does work by picking one of the other lens profiles (and the Hero4 Black Edition profile appears to make the same exact correction to the image), this was incredibly frustrating last night to notice that some files had the proper horizontal field of view / crop and others didn't, and other users may experience this or not even notice their crop is not copied properly (as, depending on one's composition and image, it's not extremely obvious with such a wide view).

I hope this discovery helps someone else and provides feedback for Adobe to correct this issue in the next version of Lightroom 5.

On a separate, additional note for Adobe:  Please allow the crop overlay tool to "crop" an image to a size that is larger than the original dimensions of the image.  This would allow for one to retain maximum original sharpness in the center of the image when using the Lens Profile tool to correct, or "de-fish" a lens, without having to scale the image down with the Scale option on the Manual tab of the Lens Corrections settings.  For example, when I do the above process selecting the Hero3-White Edition profile, my final image dimensions are 3840 by 2257 pixels, reducing the size of the image in the center by 25%.  If the tool allowed one to crop/scale a larger image size, and I kept the Scale option of the Lens Corrections settings at 100 rather than 75, my final image dimensions would be 5120 by 3009 pixels (larger than the 4000 by 3000 pixel dimensions of the original image which the tool now limits me to).  Yes, the edges would be a little softer but the center would retain the original detail.  (this is essentially what the Calculate Optimal Size button found in the Hugin open source software does, when using it on a single image for lens transformations/corrections)