6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2015 6:15 PM by A.T. Romano

images show as hourglass.

Newbeeatthis

images show as hourglass. how can this be fixed.

• 1. Re: images show as hourglass.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Newbeeatthis

Is your product Premiere Elements that comes with an Elements Organizer? If so....

What version of Premiere Elements or Elements Organizer are you using and what computer operating system is involved?

Are you in the Elements Organizer and not the Premiere Elements Editor? Are your "images show as hourglass" in the Elements Organizer?

Are these images from video or stills? What formats?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: images show as hourglass.
            Newbeeatthis Level 1

Hello ATR:

Thanks for your reply.

I am ready to trash this software.  Thankfully I saved all original photos on flash drives.

System is Microsoft windows 7,  64 bit with lots of GB storage

I purchased adobe premiere elements 13 organizer and adobe Photo Shop late in December 2014.

The images are only still photos and hourglass shows in the organizer.

Installed software using the default locations and immediately went to work on several photos to add text, crop, tweak.  Then after a week, any edited photos (jpeg)  images showed as hourglass and the jpeg changed to PSD.  Then if I just open a photo to view and close with any change, the organizer changes that same photo as an hourglass.  However, if I click on the photo it can be viewed.

I did create additional sub folders in my picture picture library to move the photos I wish to either print or make slideshow.

I don't think elements can find folder to save.  Perhaps I screwed something up.

I can not view any of the hourglass saved photos with the PSD ext. on my hard drive without it opening up element 13 organizer.

And just today have Mobile album notice The "Agent" isn't working.

Don't know if helpful, but below is from software.  That catalog location shown is not on my hard drive (c)

Also have always had Adobe reader and Apple Quicktime loaded on my hard drive.

Perhaps best if I uninstall, delete ALL photos on hard drive and start all over again. .

Otherwise, I wasted good money and significant time on this. My old Olympus photoshop software was great. But I digress. 

If you can help me to understand what could possibly caused this mess, I would much appreciate it.

Thanks

Linda (Newbeeatthis)

Elements Organizer 13.0.0.0
            Core Version: 13.1 (20150130.m.66724)
            Language Version: 13.1 (20150130.m.66724)

Current Catalog:
            Catalog Name: My Catalog
            Catalog Location: C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Elements Organizer\Catalogs\My Catalog\
            Catalog Size: 9MB
            Catalog Cache Size: 199.3MB

System:
            Operating System Name: Windows 7
            Operating System Version: 6.1 Service Pack 1
            System Architecture:
            Built-in Memory: 3.7GB
            Free Memory: 2.1GB

Important Drivers / Plug-ins / Libraries:
            Microsoft DirectX Version: 9.0
            Apple QuickTime Version: Not installed
            Adobe Reader Version: Not installed
            Adobe Acrobat Version: Not installed

CD and DVD drives:
            F: (hp DVD BUS: 1 ID: 1 Firmware: RW)

• 3. Re: images show as hourglass.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Linda

Do not uninstall/reinstall - start all over just yet.

What about the installed RAM situation, from what you posted, I suspect that you have 4 GB RAM installed, 3.7 GB usable, and only 2.1 GB available.

The relationship of installed RAM has been linked before to hourglass in Elements Organizer thumbnails. Consequently, I wonder if increasing the installed RAM to

8 GB would resolve your issue. Do you know how many RAM slots your computer's motherboard has in order to determine how much more RAM you could

add to the system?

However, first look at the following threads which may hold the answers for you

Re: Thumbnails view as Hourglass in Organizer 11

Photoshop Elements (PSE) knowledge base.: How to correct hourglass (generic) thumbnail in Elements Organizer??

Let us see if any of the above impact your issue. If not, consider also posting your question in the Adobe Photoshop Elements Forum for opinions

from the Photoshop Elements/Elements Organizer users there.

Photoshop Elements

Either place, we will be watching for further developments.

ATR

• 4. Re: images show as hourglass.
                Newbeeatthis Level 1

Yes, I found the addvise to delete the thumb cache. And it worked! The hourglasses are gone. 

My remaining issue is why edited photos are given a psd ext that prevents me from using the images on my hard drive. This may be a nieve question. I'm just learning this stuff and know only enough to get in trouble.

Thanks. Your help i don't much appreciated.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone

• 5. Re: images show as hourglass.
                  Newbeeatthis Level 1

Hello AT:

I do appreciate your help.  But, after researching the PSD file ext.matter  it appears to be deliberate by Adobe so your own pictures are not yours and cannot be saved as jpeg..  I don't own a great photo printer and was expecting to have the edited photos printed by a photo store.  I am an amateur and just wanted to enhance photos from a vacation. This seemed economical purchase.  Too good to be true.  My bad for not reading or understanding that this was a "cloud" photoshop program. 

Regards,

Linda L

• 6. Re: images show as hourglass.
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Linda L

Thanks for the follow up. I was glad for the opportunity to be of assistance.

Since this is a particularly important matter to your workflows have you double checked what you found on the matter using the

Adobe Photoshop Elements Forum resources? If you think that it would help, I can do some researching on this. I spend most

of my time in the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum with video editing matters. But, at times, I will put on a Photoshop Elements hat.

With regard to jpeg that are ending up psd, are you working in one particular feature of the Elements Organizer? I did not quite understand

your comment about "cloud" photoshop program. I have not seen that Photoshop Elements or Premiere Elements is an Adobe Creative Cloud

application.

If you do not have time to follow up here on the jpeg/psd issue, I understand. I appreciated that you looked into my suggested troubleshooting.

Best wishes

ATR