5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2015 2:36 PM by Semaphoric

Sharp stroke lines?

lydiasf

I'm currently trying to replicate a logo made for a group I'm in, which contains a skyline outline (see attached.) In the original, the lines are crisp and sharp. I've used the pen path tool to outline the path I want, but when i try to stroke the path, the outline comes out messy and pixelated. Am I simply using the wrong preset to stroke it, or is should I be using a different method altogether to achieve this?

Fig 1: original.

15948_198376317010113_72412894_n.jpg

Fig 2. Path outline in my attempt.

Screen Shot 2015-02-13 at 10.31.29 AM.png

Fig 3. Messy stroked path.

Screen Shot 2015-02-13 at 10.31.43 AM.png

• 1. Re: Sharp stroke lines?
          Herbert2001 Level 4

First, the resolution you are working in is too low - I would increase the resolution by at least 200%. The type is completely different, btw.

You should not use the "stroke path" option in this case, since it is a simple straight line: which means a shape path with a regular stroke can be used. Stroking paths in Photoshop is a destructive method, and leaves you with few options when a higher resolution version is required.

Btw, why are you drawing the logo in Photoshop in the first place? It is not meant for that type of work. Illustrator, InkScape, CorelDraw, Affinity Designer, and so on, are far more suited for logo work, because the end result is resolution independent.

• 2. Re: Sharp stroke lines?
            lydiasf Level 1

yeah, it's not supposed to be a perfect replica. We're trying to make t-shirts and the original logo had a white background, which means it would cause printing issues. Honestly, I'd rather use another application, but I don't have access to the others (i'm a student using a school-distributed computer, so the software on here is provided by the school and we can't download anything without an administrator login) nor would I know at all about using them. How does one increase the resolution?

• 3. Re: Sharp stroke lines?
              lydiasf Level 1

Also, how would I go about creating a shape path with stroke vs a stroke path? Must I redraw it or can the path I've already created with the pen tool be used?

• 4. Re: Sharp stroke lines?
                SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If all you need is to get rid of the white background, you can work with the original to do that. Double-click on the background layer to make it into a regular layer, then adjust the sliders in the layer options. Like this:

Screen Shot 2015-02-13 at 2.20.44 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-02-13 at 2.20.53 PM.png

if your original is of a high enough resolution, this will work fine. But I have to say, I don't see how the white would cause printing issues.

Screen Shot 2015-02-13 at 2.24.49 PM.png

• 5. Re: Sharp stroke lines?
                  Semaphoric Adobe Community Professional

It looks like you're stroking with the Pencil tool Try using a hard Brush.