14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2015 12:27 PM by A.T. Romano

How to recreate some Instant Movie Effects in PRE11?

RFMclaughlin3

Yes I know that I am behind the curve in terms of versions...?  But I am not a fan of the monthly fee, plus Pre11 is pretty robust in and of itself!

In any event I just discovered all the cool things that can be done using the tool "Instant Movie".  However I do not like the end result of how it puts my video and stills together.  I am trying to find a place that describes how to recreate some of the cool effects that are used in the Instant movie:

• like the way it takes a piece of video or a still and splits it in the viewing screen with 3/4 of the screen the actual piece and the reverse mirror image (slightly less opaque, so as to look like a reflection) in the bottom 1/4 to 1/3 of the screen.  As if that were not cool enough, the two elements of the screen pan across the screen from left to right...!   Very cool.
      • Or the way it takes a transition that looks like a an array of boxes or a chess board with each box filled with clips(in motion video) and pics that are then scanned (ie Ken Burns like) and then the camera (as it were) settles on one scene and then it goes to that clip in the main screen.  Again very cool.  This matrix of scenes are sort of 3d-ish as well - at an angle or slanted/skewed off center...?
      • It then takes clips or pics and plays them off center or at an angle with in the screen shot, with a selected color in the background.  The color is the screen and the clip is playing as a picture in a picture off to the side or may actually be floating around on the screen.

There are a ton of cool effects.  I have looked for turorials but all I have found are ones that show me how to tweak the Instant Movie tool.  Id really like to see of way to recreate some of these VERY COOL effects on my own and at my choosing relative to my projects.

Am I crazy?  Do I need a masters in Film from USC to accomplish this or can a hack like me make something cool as well.

Look forward to any help.

Thanks to all.

Richard

• 1. Re: How to recreate some Instant Movie Effects in PRE11?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Richard

Premiere Elements 11. Can I assume on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

Please point to one specific Instant Movie them in Premiere Elements and then we can focus on how certain effects are achieved in it.

The key to this exercise is to create your Instant Movie, and, once it is created and on the Timeline, right click the Instant Movie and select and click on

"Break Apart Instant Movie" and its construction will be revealed to you.

I had to go through one of those exercises when I was troubleshooting the Instant Movie "Outdoor Adventure"

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: Instant Movie Theme "Outdoor Adventure" Glitch

The following screenshot represents what Instant Movie Outdoor Adventure might look like after "Break Apart Instant Movie"

Before

BeforeIM.JPG

After and review expanded so that you can get a better look at what is there

AfterIM.JPG

You can take each effect there and analyze how it was put together.

Please review and consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: How to recreate some Instant Movie Effects in PRE11?
            RFMclaughlin3 Level 1

Hi - Thanks for the reply.

Yes Im in Win 7.

Yes I found that option to Break Apart Instant Movie....but what a mess.  I dont know if that helps.  THere are tons of audio tracks, tons of Movie Theme tracks, a Beats Track.  A detailed video or text explaining how to create an effect is what I am after. 

Do you think that exists?

Thanks,

Richard

• 3. Re: How to recreate some Instant Movie Effects in PRE11?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

RF Mclaughtin3

I do not believe there exists what I think you seek, that is, a spreadsheet on how to interpret and reproduce the effects and workflow of one of the Adobe Instant Movies in step by step detail..

At what stage of the video editing curve are you? Taking Instant Movie out of the equation, do you know how to apply effects, transitions, titles and such to content

that you import into a Premiere Elements 11 project? Basic creation of a project of your own is a prerequisite for taking on dissection of an Adobe Instant Movie and trying to understand how it was put together even with a how to work from.

But, I can create what you seek and post the information. Please name the Instant Movie that you want to know how it was put together step by step. If you tell me one particular effect you want to reproduce that would be quicker for me than doing the whole Instant Movie.

Please consider and then let me know your decision.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: How to recreate some Instant Movie Effects in PRE11?
                RFMclaughlin3 Level 1

Hi ATR,

Im pretty good with photoshop and premiere elements.  Im fine with transitions, effects, sound, titles, menus...I have done hundreds of (family) films and slide shows.  So I would say I am probably a 5 on 1 to 10 scale.

I was looking at the Pan & Zoom theme - sorry, you asked that last time and I forgot to mention.

Here are a few snips of the effects I like:

Capture3.JPG

In this scene, the train is a moving video floating to the front and then coming to front and becoming the video shown....

Matrix.JPG

The above matrix are live videos in motion, then one in center comes to front and become the next video playing....

World.JPG

In this video, the map is rotating, with the red line ultimately ending up in stockholm (I did that in iMovie and exported it to use here).  The map in this video is scanning from left to right and so is the mirror image reflected in the bottom quadrant...?  Pretty cool effect.

Would love some guidance.  Thanks for your patience and help.

Richard

• 5. Re: How to recreate some Instant Movie Effects in PRE11?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Richard

I will get started on that tomorrow, now after midnight here.

This should be interesting.

ATR

• 6. Re: How to recreate some Instant Movie Effects in PRE11?
                    RFMclaughlin3 Level 1

No Problem, any help great appreciated. 

• 7. Re: How to recreate some Instant Movie Effects in PRE11?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

RFMclaughlin3

That Premiere Elements 11 Pan and Zoom Instant Movie 3 effects that you mention are 2 easy ones and 1 more complicated (but doable).

For the two easy ones

The above matrix are live videos in motion, then one in center comes to front and become the next video playing....

That is just a matter of the placing of the video transition Check Board between the two clips

Transition Tab

NewBlue 3D Transitions Elements

Checker Board

In Transition Adjustments pop up: Duration = 2 seconds and Alignment = Between Clips

Transition.JPG

In this video, the map is rotating, with the red line ultimately ending up in stockholm (I did that in iMovie and exported it to use here).  The map in this video is scanning from left to right and so is the mirror image reflected in the bottom quadrant...? 

This one is just a matter of dragging the the fx Effect named Mirror into the clip and then editing it in Applied Effects.

fx Effects

Distort

Mirror

Then Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Mirror Panel expanded and setting the "Reflection Angle" with the slider there and with adjusts with Reflection Center if necessary.

I made a copy of your globe example and brought it into Premiere Elements 11 and applied the Mirror effect to it. I am just showing a partial view for source reasons - but just enough to show the mirror effect results and its settings that I used.

Globe.JPG

In this scene, the train is a moving video floating to the front and then coming to front and becoming the video shown....

This one involves the fx Effects Basic 3D effect and Drop Shadow.effect. More on this later.

ATR

• 8. Re: How to recreate some Instant Movie Effects in PRE11?
                        RFMclaughlin3 Level 1

Wow - thanks for your time and help.  I can't play with it right now, but hope to get to it tomorrow.  Really appreciate your effort.

• 9. Re: How to recreate some Instant Movie Effects in PRE11?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

RFMclaughlin3

Just an update an operation Instant Movie effects and how they were put together.....

1. About the reflection effect that is seen in Instant Movie theme Slideshow/Pan and Zoom...

"My Mirror Effect" works to create the reflection if I put that into the Instant Movie that has been broken apart. But, closer inspection of the Adobe way revealed that Adobe is not using the Mirror Effect to create the reflection. The key to what it uses is in the Tilt option of the Basic 3D effect in fx Effects/Perspective/Basic 3D. It uses the original content @ 75% scale and, on the track below, a duplicate of the scaled original. Then it applies the Basic 3D effect to the duplicate, and the Tilt value is set and the rest of the options are left at zero. I will post the what next on that to complete the details soon.

ATR

• 10. Re: How to recreate some Instant Movie Effects in PRE11?
                            RFMclaughlin3 Level 1

Hi Again ATR,

Thanks again for your help.

I played with your suggestions and while they open my eyes to the possibilities, these are very complex effects.  It makes me appreciate how deficient I am in pre11 skill/understanding.  Looking at the expanded versions of the Instant Movie Pan/Zoom effects, their solutions are extremely complex!  To say the least - they use the effects you mention, and then add some blurs, and some lens flares, and tons of other subtleties that I'd like to try to understand.  Can you recommend any videos or books (yuk) that walk me through some of these more advanced techniques?  I have searched and have not found more than cursory user guides...

Thanks again.

R

• 11. Re: How to recreate some Instant Movie Effects in PRE11?
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

R

I have been working on a blog post on the explaining how to reproduce some of the Instant Movie effects. I started with

Checker Board effect and the Reflection effect.

I was going to wait until I added a few more explained effects and then publish the work to my blog.

But, I think that I will post what I have in an hour or so, so that you can see if they help you reproduce

them in your work independent of the Instant Movie/Slideshow/Pan and Zoom.

I think my use of the Mirror Effect is easier for reflection but the Adobe way is an interesting way to get

the reflection using the Basic 3D tilt.

Back soon with the link to the blog post on trying to explain some of the Instant Movie effects.

ATR

• 12. Re: How to recreate some Instant Movie Effects in PRE11?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

R

Here is the blog post on those Instant Movie/Slideshow/Pan and Zoom effects.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: Some Instant Movie Effects Explained

My video inserts look OK in the blog's 4:3 player, but the full screen view of those video needs serious work.

Need to figure out if better is possible for that player's full screen viewing.

Here is a quick test.

Place a photo on Video Track 3.

Scale the photo to 75% in Applied Effects/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded, using

the Scale slider (check mark next to Constrain Proportions).

Drag into the scaled original the fx Effects/Perspective/Basic 3D effect.

In Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Basic 3D Panel expanded set all settings to 0.0.

Duplicate the scaled original and have it placed on Video Track 2 directly below the scaled original.

In the duplicate's Basic 3D Panel expanded, set the Tilt to 180.0, and leave Swivel and Distance to Image each at 0.0.

Then drag the Gaussian Blur into the scaled duplicate. See Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Blur Sharpen/Gaussian Blur.

Set Blurriness = 14.0 and Blur Dimensions = Horizontal and Vertical.

Next part can be tricky because the original is seen on top of the duplicate which by now is upside down as created by the Tilt effect.

The goal is to select just the duplicate and drag it downward until its new top interfaces with the bottom of the original image on screen.

You can also experiment applying a Drop Shadow into the scaled original on Video Track 3. See fx Effects/Perspective/Drop Shadow,

and edit the Drop Shadow in Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Drop Shadow Panel expanded. You can even change the

color of the Drop Shadow.

As your schedule permits, please let us know the outcome. You can do it.

Best wishes

ATR

• 13. Re: How to recreate some Instant Movie Effects in PRE11?
                                  RFMclaughlin3 Level 1

ATR - Thanks for sharing.  Assuming you want feedback….at first look, this is amazing.  But then to actually accomplish these effects, at my level of experience, I could use more of a step by step.  I understand how to use the instant movie and then Break Apart the elements of the movie, and from that I see all the different parts they used.  But how do I replicate that myself, starting from a clip of my own?  I experimented with the instant movie on my selected clip - took out the titles, the music and set effects to minimum - and then let instant movie do its thing, and voila I have that effect for my clip.  I can play with it a bit but I could never replicate it myself from start to finish, and I certainly do not understand all the embellishments like the blur or the Lens Flare.  So for me, more of a step by step would be awesome…?  Hope this isn't insulting - I seriously appreciate any insight on these complex features of PRE.

Thanks,

R

• 14. Re: How to recreate some Instant Movie Effects in PRE11?
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

R

Thanks for the follow up.

How did you do with the isolated instance (Quick Test) part of the reflection that I posted in post 12? Did you run into problems there

creating the basic reflection the Adobe way? Forget about the embellishments for now. If problems with getting just the reflection the tilt way, then until you are ready for that approach to reflections, maybe go the Mirror fx effect to obtain a reflection effect that I mentioned as "my preferred way". Are you OK

with the Mirror fx effect? How far did you get with the Quick Test the tilt way, and are you OK with the Checker Board effect?

Putting aside  trying to replicate the effects that Adobe uses in the Instant Movie, are you at a stage now where you are comfortable with

applying fx Effects in your project and editing them in Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/ and then that particular effect panel there.

If not, then we could discuss using those effects as a prerequisite for moving on the these Instant Movie effects.

Please review and consider and then let me know if and how you want to proceed. I think that this is a can do, but....

ATR