9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2015 2:08 PM by Rick Gerard

can I use After Effects with nested multiclip sequence?

dencon

First things first, I've used After Effects very little, and so it was an afterthought to use it on a nested mutliclip sequence (about five or six cameras, separate audio, titles).

I'm unable to find an answer, including in Lynda.com, as to whether this can or can't be done.

Once in AE it appears I'm able to making the adjustments in AE that I'm looking for, but getting that back to Premiere sequence is just not working.

What am I missing? 

Also, I'm assuming that creating a new composition from a sequence should not include titles. That created blank spots, even when hiding the layers. 

Premiere CS6, Windows 7 Pro.

So, possible?  If so, seeking tutorial.

Thanks, Dennis

• 1. Re: can I use After Effects with nested multiclip sequence?
          KoMaruyama Adobe Community Professional

Hm.. I don't know the answer for CS6, but I can tell you that on Windows 7Pro, CC2014, nested Pr comps in Ae are fine.

Getting Back to Premiere Pro

How are you using dynamic link between After Effects and PremierePro?  Here's how I use it:

IN PREMIERE PRO

• Select your nested sequence
          • Right click on it and Replace with After Effects Comp
          • You'll be prompted to save the Ae project

IN AFTER EFFECTS

• You should be taken to the After Effects project
          • You'll have at least 2 compositions: (1) Nested Sequence (2) Edits in the nested sequence

You can make adjustments to either composition or pre-comp(nested) in After Effects, Save, then switch back to PremierePro.  Your changes from After Effects should already be updated in your Sequence timeline.

As for titles: You'll probably want to nest your footage BEFORE the titles go on - use Ae on the textless version, then add text in Pr (if that's where you want to add titles).

If they're already in your Ae comp, you can just turn off the solids that represent the Title edits.  They will be in the precomp.

• 2. Re: can I use After Effects with nested multiclip sequence?
            dencon Level 1

Thanks for the quick reply.

I've removed titles and sent to Replace with AE Comp with just the video selected only (tried with selecting sequence previously with similar result).

I see the adjustments I want to make in AE as well as Premiere, however, still not working......maybe some clues herein:

1. In Premiere the multiclip function is gone.  Just one single clip of this 3:40 video, but also...

2. dissolves and opacity changes with pen tool I previously made in Premiere are gone. Dissolves became jump cuts, but also...

3.  In Premiere (AE as well, I think) after about 25 seconds, just one camera appears from the 5 camera multiclip for the remainder of the 3:40 in the sequence.

4. In AE the footage plays very slowly, anywhere from 4 to 12 fps (NOT realtime).  Also jumpy in Premiere, though, before rendering. It looks like multiclip sequences when I had just 4 gigs of RAM. Currently 16...still not enough, but I'm maxed out here.

5.  I did a render in Premiere of a previous test, and it took about an hour. Does that seem right with the AE effects being  Curves or Levels (with contols),  Unsharp Mask, Hue/Sat, and Gamma?

Regarding the jumpiness, both Premiere and AE are open at the same time, though only using one at a time.

Here's a screen shot, if this helps:

Which brings me to another question:

I've made the adjustments using each individual clip (layer?) in the bottom panel, (having to scroll across the timeline to where it appears, if I want to see the changes).  I'm guessing it's not possible to make adjustments to the same clips that appear in the above left panel?  I tried.  Didn't happen.  Sure would make life simpler to apply changes to original clips.  Or is there a way?

Thanks again for your help.

• 3. Re: can I use After Effects with nested multiclip sequence?
              dencon Level 1

Just realizing that, regarding item #3 above, that the multisequence I'm using to send to AE comes back looking like I had sent the original un-nested sequence pre nesting/multiclip enabling, instead.

Meaning, how the clips are lined up for syncing, the one camera that appears continually starting at the 25" mark in Premiere, is where that camera started to begin with.  So, I must be missing something pretty basic here that I'm doing wrong.  I don't think I can delete that sequence, since it's the source of multiclip sequence that followed.  Right? 

Does that help?  Questions?

cheers, dc

• 4. Re: can I use After Effects with nested multiclip sequence?
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The first thing I noticed about your project is that it is over 17 minutes long and it's got shots from many cameras. Trying to cut this project in After Effects is a lot like trying to drive and mail with a screwdriver. You can do it but it's incredibly difficult. You have chosen the wrong tool completely.

I have said this many times, After affects is for creating shots or short sequences that need visual effect, motion graphics or compositing, editing is best left to a nonlinear editor. By the time you cut up 17 minutes from five cameras you are going to have hundreds of layers and changing a shot in the middle of the project is gog to be very difficult.

The correct term for your project is multi-camera not multi clip. Premiere Pro has excellent both a camera tools. What you want to do is study up on that, cut your project in Premiere Pro, Then pick any shots that you want to add effects to or do compositing that you cannot do in Premiere with After Effects. Using dynamic link to work on a single shot in AE may be a good option, but there is no efficient wat to do what you are trying to do in AE.

• 5. Re: can I use After Effects with nested multiclip sequence?
                  KoMaruyama Adobe Community Professional

1.Replace with Comp.  After Effects puts a comp in place of the original sequence - any changes you make in the Ae project will show up, and stay live until you render.

But - your original nested sequence should still be in your project panel as a sequence if you want to swap it back out.

2. Opacity keyframes should come across to Ae as keyframes in Opacity

3. multicam untrimmed. Looks like the clips aren't trimmed out

4. !  Ae doesn't playback in Realtime the way Pr does.  You need to set up RAM Previews or make a proxy render.

5. Rendering in After Effects is a different operation than rendering from PremierePro - and sometimes takes longer for the same program length.

(6) It looks like you're making the curves adjustments while viewing the Layer window rather than the Comp window.  At the bottom of the Layer window, you can view a single attribute at a time.

If you're doing COLOR CORRECTION, I'd suggest that you could do everything through PremierePro, or even SpeedGrade.  After Effects excels at visual effects and focusing on difficult areas of an image (rotoscoping, etc), but color grading the whole program total run time (or even shorter clips) is handled more efficiently in other apps.

• 6. Re: can I use After Effects with nested multiclip sequence?
                    dencon Level 1

Thanks for the multicamera/clip clarification. A holdover from Final Cut, I suppose.  It is five cameras. However, it's only 3:40 long. I'm curious how you got over 17 minutes.

I'm also not sure what you mean when you say, "Premiere Pro has excellent both a camera tools".  Looks like there's a typo.  Could you clarify so I can indeed study up?

Clearly, I have some studying in store.  Thanks, much appreciated.

• 7. Re: can I use After Effects with nested multiclip sequence?
                      dencon Level 1

Thanks for answering all my questions.  I've yet to try what you suggest above, but a message I'm receiving is that I should wait for a simpler project before delving into After Effects.  I thought to use AE in the first place because I was under the impression that the image enhancement capability was much more powerful, with more features for fine tuning (as with curves, for example), than in Premiere.  I'll stick with Premiere's offerings, for now, and check out SpeedGrade and other apps, in the meantime.

• 8. Re: can I use After Effects with nested multiclip sequence?
                        Todd_Kopriva Level 8

>" "Premiere Pro has excellent both a camera tools".  Looks like there's a typo.  Could you clarify so I can indeed study up?"

Rick probably meant "multi-camera", but his speech-to-text engine probably got confused.

• 9. Re: can I use After Effects with nested multiclip sequence?
                          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Todd is correct, that should've been multi – camera