4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2015 11:36 AM by Rick Gerard

Lock - single Transform

steenmikkelsen2 Level 1

After Effects CS5

Can I lock  "Transform - Position" and not the rest in the "Transform" values ?

When I have many layers and some of it must be placed very precisely for hinadne, I would like to be able to lock them so that I do not later or accidentally come ril to correct them.

After Effects Lock.jpg

• 1. Re: Lock - single Transform
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You can simply type the values in as an expression like [633.5,716]

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Lock - single Transform
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can type values into an expression  like this [635.5, 716]

A word of caution on your position values. I noticed that you X value is on a half pixel. If your footage is an even number of pixels wide then you've just reinterpreted every pixel in the shot and softened the image. Try and keep things lined up with the pixel grid. Generally your composition and your footage should always be an even number of pixels high and wide. You cannot use MPEG compression like h.264 with an odd number of pixels because of the compression algorithm requirements.

• 3. Re: Lock - single Transform
              steenmikkelsen2 Level 1

I do not understand your answer.

By entering the value direct then the value isn't locked, ?? I still mistakenly come to change it.

What I seek is the ability to lock the values of the individual Transform settings

Anchor point - "Lock/unlock"

Postiton - "Lock/unlock"

Scal - "Lock/unlock"

Rotate - "Lock/unlock"

Opacity - "Lock/unlock"

• 4. Re: Lock - single Transform
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You have to add an expression to lock a layer in place, not just type in values to the property. If you do not know how to use expressions then please read up on them. There is no lock unlock feature that only works on transform properties. Masks can be locked, but that is about all unless you want to lock the entire layer. Here's what the expression would look like:

Screen Shot 2015-02-14 at 11.34.27 AM.png

With values entered in to an expression you cannot change the position of the layer effective locking it into place. Any keyframes applied to the layer will have no effect because expressions override keyframes. Keyframes can use keyframe data, but if you type in a simple position array that's all that will be used.