8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2015 12:08 PM by rob day

Adaptive Text Color

Jack Level 1

Occasionally, "adaptive" text behavior of text is observed wherein the color turns lighter (perhaps white?) when text is painted against a darker background, in this case, an image. Problem is, when text is in a layer, even though it is brought forward it is difficult or impossible to read without moving/deleting the image in the layer below.

Could one of you pleas point me to the setting that makes this adaptive behavior happen.

• 1. Re: Adaptive Text Color
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Can you provide more details, please. There is no automatic/dynamic way to change the text color  a s the background changes -- you have to change it manually or by assigning a style, or perhaps a blend mode (though I've not had much success with that).

• 2. Re: Adaptive Text Color
            Jack Level 1

Here is a happy accident. I just selected text in the box on top of one of my photos in inDesign. You can see what iD is doing: inverting the black text to white (regardless of background, and inverting colors of all images: white to gray and other colors according to iD’s algorithms.

What would work ideally, would be a “switch" to (a) trigger this inversion without selecting text, and (b) invert black to white when BG is dark (as in upper left of text box). That would be ideal for editing text. Current workaround is to move the image out of the way, and edit text externally, before pasting into the box.

Please let me know if pasted images below are not forum-readable.

• 3. Re: Adaptive Text Color

Please remove your personal info when replying by email -- all responses are posted to the web.

And the forums do not accept any sort of file attachments or images pasted into email. You need to come back to the web page and embed your images in a response using the camera icon, like this:

CameraIcon.png

• 4. Re: Adaptive Text Color
                Jack Level 1

Here is a screen shot to help illustrate observed behavior: All text has been selected and copied to clipboard. When not selected/copied, it is all black and therefore unreadable against the dark green-to-black background (bg). Against lighter bg, it is tolerable.

So the selection tool brightens the dark bg, and darkens the brighter parts (but user is obliged to keep selection button pressed, which makes further actions (beyond simply reading the text) pretty much impossible.

But the example shows that  some adaptive behavior is already going on. If that could be extended to the text part (without need to select), that would help. Anyway, hoping that you get the idea now.

Tried to send you the "before" version, i.e., with text not selected, showing all-black text, but image selector (camera tool) reported "That as a forbidden" (although it was the same jpg type as this one).

In that version, all text is black and all bg is normal as shown below, outside text box.

So we have two versions of content of UL portion of text box, both unreadable.

inDesign1.jpg

• 5. Re: Adaptive Text Color
                  Jack Level 1

Stil;l learning about this...Text needs only to be selected, no button needs to be pressed, i.e., by judiciously moving box containing selected text, all is quite readable. So, adaptive text coloration seems to be doing the job acceptably well, if not perfectly.

• 6. Re: Adaptive Text Color

One can always turn off visibility of the background object temporarily in the Layers panel, too.

• 7. Re: Adaptive Text Color
                      rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can also set your Display Performance to Fast Display, which displays all images as a gray box:

Screen Shot 2015-02-15 at 2.00.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-02-15 at 2.00.41 PM.png

• 8. Re: Adaptive Text Color
                        rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm assuming your question is about editing text and not what it will look like in output? There's also Story Editor. With your cursor in the text Command-Y brings up the text only Story Editor (left), which makes it easy to edit text when it is hard to read or select (i.e., text that's buried in a group):

Screen Shot 2015-02-15 at 2.14.27 PM.png