4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2015 12:41 PM by Just Shoot Me

How do I add Lightroom to another mac user account on same computer?

Khayman7

How do I add Lightroom to another mac user account on same computer?

• 1. Re: How do I add Lightroom to another mac user account on same computer?
          Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you installed normally it is already there. Just go to the applications folder and ddouble click it.

• 2. Re: How do I add Lightroom to another mac user account on same computer?
            Khayman7 Level 1

Thank you very much for that it which did work, but when I opened lightroom it can't find the Lightroom catalog that I use.  I've noticed that the pictures folder and movies folder aren't visible in this account. So I'm wondering if I should just make the other user accounts an Admin account so they would see all the same files. I thought the Idea was my family taking pictures loads them into lightroom and no matter who is logged in we all see the same pictures.  I'm going to have to really research this more. Because at the end of the day I really don't want the family installing any software full stop.  But want to use and see all out photos in any user account.

• 3. Re: How do I add Lightroom to another mac user account on same computer?
              Khayman7 Level 1

Oh I remembered how to go into finder preferences and add pictures and movies to the side bar but of course they are tied to the new account and don't see the files that I use in the Admin account.

• 4. Re: How do I add Lightroom to another mac user account on same computer?
                Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

That's because the catalog is User Specific, IE it is in YOUR UserName folder. you have to move it to a folder both Users have access to.

Create a folder in the ROOT of the drive called Lightroom Catalogs. Place, Move, the Lightroom 5 Catalog.lrcat file and the Lightroom 5 Catalog Previews.lrdata folder into that folder you just created.

When starting LR from both User accounts hold down the Control key (that is for Windows I'm not sure if it is the Control or the Command key on OS X) to get a dialog window to select which catalog you want to open. You should see an entry for Macintosh HD/Lightroom Catalogs. Select that and make sure Always load this catalog on startup is selected. Click Open.

Then close Lightroom and sign off that User Account and log into the other User Account. Do the same thing while opening LR.

If you want a alias for Lightroom on the desktop fir that other User account drag the App to the desktop while holding down the Command + Option keys. That will Auto create an Alias. If you want it in the Dock just Drag the App to the Dock in that User account and a Dock alias is created, no need to hold down any keys.