6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2015 12:48 PM by A.T. Romano

Unable to select and move text after 13 update

jen_nash5000

After installing the most recent update to Premiere Elements 13, the arrow is no longer visible in the text format/align area in Expert Mode. Now unable to select and move text. Thanks for any help, I'm baffled.

*Edited to add, the arrow is visible in its regular spot in "align" in the shapes tab of the text adjustment, but only there, not on the text tab. This only happened after this week's update to Premiere Elements 13. Thanks again

• 1. Re: Unable to select and move text after 13 update
          A.T. Romano Level 7

jen_nash

Please clarify...are you saying that the Selection Tool (arrow icon in the Mode area of the Text and Shapes sections of the opened Titler are inactive?

On what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 13/13.1 running?

Please delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file.

For Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 13.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not resolve the problem, then delete the whole 13.0 Folder in which the Adobe

Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Make sure that you have no hidden files, folders, and drives. Please see Folder Options.

If Mac, consider

Users

Owner

Libraries

Application Support

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 13.0 Folder should be the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete.

We will be looking forward to your results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Unable to select and move text after 13 update
            jen_nash5000 Level 1

Actually, the arrow icon isn't even there at all on the text tab, it isn't that it is grayed out, it is missing completely. It is, however visible and selectable on the shapes tab. I will use that as a work around right now, I am nervous about deleting any of the Premiere files while in the middle of my project. OS is Windows 8.1. Thanks for your help...

• 3. Re: Unable to select and move text after 13 update
              A.T. Romano Level 7

jen_nash

Thanks for the reply.

Can you open and close and reopen this project with the Titler Text Section Selection Tool issue? If so, then please let us

know (as your schedule permits)

1. If you open a new project and create a title in the Titler (File Menu/New/Default Text), do you see the Selection Tool arrow in the

Text Section of the Titler?

If not, when you are comfortable doing so, please

a. Delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file, and, if necessary, the whole 13.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs

file exists

and

b. If necessary, consider a program uninstall, free ccleaner run through, and reinstall with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

We can discuss further the above before you decide to put the thoughts into action.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Unable to select and move text after 13 update
                jen_nash5000 Level 1

UPDATE:  I spoke to soon, it seems. Closed out of program, went back in, no arrow icon in the recently saved new file. I will update again in a few moments after I test a few things.... back to the drawing board.

That was very helpful, thank you. It looks like there was a problem with  just that file.

Opening, closing, shutting down computer, nothing helped.

I opened a new project and was able to see the arrow icon in the alignment section of the text panel.

It occurred to me to just save the original problem file under a different name and  when I did that the arrow icon is present on the text and shapes tabs.

Not sure why but I guess there is something corrupt in the original file because there has been no change, so I will delete that one and just use the new.

• 5. Re: Unable to select and move text after 13 update
                  jen_nash5000 Level 1

Okay, not sure why, but newly named/saved file, which did show the arrow icon in the text tab, did not show it after closing the program and reopening.

So far, creating new projects and opening previous projects (except the problem file and its copies) shows no problem with the arrow icon. There must be something about that file. Unfortunately, that project is big and I don't want to recreate it. I will continue to work in this file and just utilize the arrow on the shapes tab, that should work for now.

Not sure what's happening, but it looks like all other projects display the arrow icon in its proper place.

• 6. Re: Unable to select and move text after 13 update
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

jen_nash

Thanks for the news of the further developments.

Looks like you have everything under control. Great job.

This sounds like the type of issue that deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Pref might have taken care of. But, if all is working, as they say "Don't mess with a good thing". Leave everything as is. Hopefully you will not run into this again. I have not seen this specific Titler/Text Section/Selection Tool issue reported before. Just note the conditions of the present situation in case we have to revisit the matter again.

Best wishes

ATR