15 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2015 11:12 AM by manuelaw98189123

Is there a way to get lightroom to search the computer for catalogs like aperture does?

Andrew Iverson

Is there a way to get lightroom to search the computer for catalogs like aperture does? I've switched over from Aperture to Lightroom, and i liked how in Aperture when i went to open "other library" it would basically scan all connected drives for them, and show me when last opened and what version. Is there a way to do this with Lightroom, either in program or by a third party app?

• 1. Re: Is there a way to get lightroom to search the computer for catalogs like aperture does?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is the File->Open Recent option that will list and give you access to any catalogs that you may have used recently. But there isn't a way to have Lightroom search your entire hard drive. You would have to use your system search feature to locate files with the extension .lrcat. The easiest way to resolve the problem is to just use a single catalog.

• 2. Re: Is there a way to get lightroom to search the computer for catalogs like aperture does?
            manuelaw98189123

It is really a step back to move from APERTURE to Lightroom.

The user interface is on a level of elementary PC software

something I have deteced till now

• no free moving workspace windows
            • no search function for the whole catalog
            • no support of mpg files in the archive
            • no chromatic appararture correction
            • second screen sometimes gets lost, when moving between screens
            • no automatic creation of collection ( very risky direct interfacing with the original file system )
            • wrong counting of objects in catalog folder when creating virtuel copies

What worked good is the import of the APERTURE Archive ( 40000 objects ) took me one night and its there with the above obsticles!!!

I am using just three days and I have to say

• not user friendly
            • not workflow supporting
            • risky user interfacing with masters

Would be nice to hear some comments with other experiences

br .-((((((

Oldpiefke

• 3. Re: Is there a way to get lightroom to search the computer for catalogs like aperture does?

All I can say is that Lightroom does take some getting used to. I didn't like it when I first started using it. It takes rethinking your workflow. At least it did for me. Now that I'm accustomed to the Lightroom work flow I am comfortable and happy working with Lightroom. I don't understand your comment about risky working with master files. The master files are left untouched by Lightroom. All adjustments are stored in the catalog, which is a database. Your files are stored on your computer in folders that you choose. And you can back them up any way you like.

• 4. Re: Is there a way to get lightroom to search the computer for catalogs like aperture does?
                dj_paige Level 9

Is there a way to get lightroom to search the computer for catalogs like aperture does? I've switched over from Aperture to Lightroom, and i liked how in Aperture when i went to open "other library" it would basically scan all connected drives for them, and show me when last opened and what version. Is there a way to do this with Lightroom, either in program or by a third party app?

I agree with JimHess that for Lightroom, the best approach (especially for beginners) is to use a single catalog.

But why should this search capability be inside Lightroom, when every operating system known to man lets you search for specific files; in this case, you would search for files whose name ends with .LRCAT.

• 5. Re: Is there a way to get lightroom to search the computer for catalogs like aperture does?
                  manuelaw98189123 Level 1

when every operating system known to man lets you search for specific files; in this case, you would search for files whose name ends with .LRCAT.

what an anser :-((((

I do have an archiev application LR5 and thats my workspace and there I want also to search

Might be oldfashioned, but app jumping is the worst I can think about

OP

• 6. Re: Is there a way to get lightroom to search the computer for catalogs like aperture does?
                    dj_paige Level 9

The user interface is on a level of elementary PC software

something I have deteced till now

• no free moving workspace windows
                    • no search function for the whole catalog
                    • no support of mpg files in the archive
                    • no chromatic appararture correction
                    • second screen sometimes gets lost, when moving between screens
                    • no automatic creation of collection ( very risky direct interfacing with the original file system )
                    • wrong counting of objects in catalog folder when creating virtuel copies

What worked good is the import of the APERTURE Archive ( 40000 objects ) took me one night and its there with the above obsticles!!! I am using just three days and I have to say

• not user friendly
                    • not workflow supporting
                    • risky user interfacing with masters

As JimHess stated, there is no risk working with the masters.

Chromatic aberation correction is available in Lightroom, searching the entire catalog is available in Lightroom.

With regards to your other comments, the idea that Lightroom should work the same (or very similar) to Aperture is one that you should remove from your thoughts. It will only get you into trouble. Lightroom is not Aperture and will not work the same, and has different underlying principles, and so its pointless to think you will be able to do everything the same way you did it in Aperture. You need to be open to Lightroom's features, and Lightroom's way of doing things. I agree with JimHess that it takes most people a while to learn Lightroom's way of doing things, but your patience will be rewarded.

• 7. Re: Is there a way to get lightroom to search the computer for catalogs like aperture does?
                      dj_paige Level 9

manuelaw98189123 wrote:

when every operating system known to man lets you search for specific files; in this case, you would search for files whose name ends with .LRCAT.

what an anser :-((((

I do have an archiev application LR5 and thats my workspace and there I want also to search

Might be oldfashioned, but app jumping is the worst I can think about

OP

Which is one of many reasons why you should use a single catalog in Lightroom.

• 8. Re: Is there a way to get lightroom to search the computer for catalogs like aperture does?
                        manuelaw98189123 Level 1

Hej

might be I got you wrong : ... every operating system.." I have seen as hint from you to work with file handling system in parallel to get the search functon

As I have my 40000 objects in one catalog I have seen, where to search

Chromatic aperation is available I have seen, but only the digital way : click or unclick. Is this porfessional?

OP

• 9. Re: Is there a way to get lightroom to search the computer for catalogs like aperture does?

If you insist on using multiple catalogs, you can use the File->Open Recent option to list recently opened catalogs. And you can select different recently opened catalogs using that option. But if you're going to use lots of different catalogs you'll have to use your operating system. The Lightroom workflow isn't designed around creating a new catalog for every import. That is absolutely the worst way one can choose to use Lightroom. The smartest way is to use one or maybe two catalogs. Personally, I use two catalogs. My main catalog is where I keep 90% of my images. Sometimes I want to just experiment with some images that aren't really meaningful for anything other than what I'm experimenting with. So I have a "Test" catalog for those types of images. And the File->Open Recent option makes it easy to switch between the two.

• 10. Re: Is there a way to get lightroom to search the computer for catalogs like aperture does?
                            dj_paige Level 9

Searching for photos is built into Lightroom. Lightroom Help | Finding photos in the catalog

Chromatic aberation can be fine-tuned under the Color tab of the Lens Corrections Panel and also using the adjustment brush

• 11. Re: Is there a way to get lightroom to search the computer for catalogs like aperture does?
                              manuelaw98189123 Level 1

Hej Jim

thx for the feedback

I am using one catalog and as you have mentioned I need to get used to the new user interface of LR

I have seen now where to search ( its the upper level row in catalog )

Thx again for the clear answers :-))

OP

• 12. Re: Is there a way to get lightroom to search the computer for catalogs like aperture does?
                                Andrew Iverson Level 1

Why should it be in Lightroom? It's a convenience that makes like easier. Once you have it, and have catalogs all over, it's nice to have that there and get spoiled by the program being able to do it. In Aperture, it shows you even when last opened and what version. Incredibly handy. Much, much easier than searching the extension. Just something i wish Lightroom had, but doesn't. I'm not quite sure why people are so against even the idea of it. Just have a dialog box open when you select an option, it shows all on the drives connected to the computer. Maybe a plug in would be possible, i don't know. 

I've been basically consolidating catalogs, but man does Lightroom not detect duplicates while importing like it pretends it does. So now i also have tons of duplicate photos, Something else Lightroom should be able to do at this point (Aperture didn't do this either btw). One catalog is not practical for me, as i have over ten years of photos, several hundred thousands of photos, and all in one catalog just seems to bring it to it's knees.

I also wish Lightroom would have a function like Aperture where i could click a button, and it would basically back up all the photos, versions, adjustments, etc to another location (vault in Aperture, but even just a backup automatically would be great), but that's not really about my main question.

• 13. Re: Is there a way to get lightroom to search the computer for catalogs like aperture does?
                                  manuelaw98189123 Level 1

Hej Andrew,

thx for the feedback.

Makes me happy not to feel alone

By the way, what are you doing with the videos, which one can only include in LR5 catalog, but not at all use?

Best regards

OldPiefke

• 14. Re: Is there a way to get lightroom to search the computer for catalogs like aperture does?
                                    Andrew Iverson Level 1

I've got then in the catalog for now, but will probably move them out at some point, not sure where though. Haven't quite gotten to that point yet though, still working on getting all my Aperture libraries converted and moved into Lightroom.

• 15. Re: Is there a way to get lightroom to search the computer for catalogs like aperture does?
                                      manuelaw98189123 Level 1

Andrew

I will work in parallel for the next future

Still I think Aperture has more advantages than LR5

Have a good time :-)))

OldPiefke