11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2015 2:25 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements is cutting large video imports

Stupidhotmailname123

When I try to import a large gopro file it cuts it down to the first minute. I was hoping to get the highest quality file imported into Adobe. I can get around this by reducing the quality of the file and shortening the length in gopro studio but why am I having to use to separate programs?

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements is cutting large video imports
          A.T. Romano Level 7

What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system is it running?

What is the file format for your GoPro file? By any chance, Cineform.avi? What is the model/settings for your GoPro video?

What is the file size of the GoPro video that you are trying to import?

How are you importing it into Premiere Elements? And, what Premiere Elements workspace are you using -

If earlier than Premiere Element 11, Timeline workspace or Sceneline workspace?

If Premiere Elements 11, 12, or 13, Expert workspace or Quick workspace?

Let us start here and then decide what next based on your answers.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements is cutting large video imports
            Stupidhotmailname123 Level 1

Elements 12

File extensions are MP4

Hero3 Black

1920x1080 @ 45fps 12mp wide

The one in particular is rather large, 1.8GB

I was using quick workspace in elements 12. Simply dragging the file in.

Thank you ATR.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements is cutting large video imports
              A.T. Romano Level 7

If that 45 fps is not a typing error, that may be part of the problem, if not the whole problem. There is no 45 frames per second

frame rate for the project presets for import or the export settings. For that matter, I do not believe that the GoPro Hero 3 Black offers a 45

progressive frames per second frame rate. Just p24, p30, p48, and p60. Did you mean p48 for what you have?

Are you in a PAL or NTSC setup?

Can you record the 1080p video with frame rate of p24, p30, p69 or p25, p50 and get that video

imported successful (completely) into Premiere Elements?

Your camera should be recording H.264.mp4 which should be supported by Premiere Elements. So, I am not expecting Premiere Elements non support issues

for the H.264.mp4 format.

Otherwise, it looks like another program for conversion before import into Premiere Elements.

Please review and consider and then we can decide if the GoPro processing of the H.264.mp4 @ 48 progressive frames per second is the only way to go.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements is cutting large video imports
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Just an add on...

During the troubleshooting especially, please consider working in the Expert workspace rather than the Quick workspace.

You can see better what you are doing when you use Expert workspace, and consequently you gain more control over the project. Also, it has the Project Assets Panel to store your

imported media and more.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements is cutting large video imports

Yes sorry 48p.

How can I tell what setup I'm in? If I start a new project I think it defaults me to NTSC?

Also bare in mind that Elements does import the file it just cuts 7 mintues of it off. It also notes that the file has been trimmed via the trim icon.

Capture.PNG

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements is cutting large video imports

Shoot perhaps I just answered my  own question. I added the file using the drop down menu, add files and folders, instead of dragging it in. Why doesn't drag and drop work?

Why does the program auto-trim the file without notifying the user or at least throwing an error?

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements is cutting large video imports
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

There are several problems here, two of which are frame size and frame rate.

Next in line is your report that your import duration is less than the pre-import duration of the original.

You say that your camera is set to record 1920 x 1080 @ 48 progressive frames per second. But according

to your screenshot, the frame size is 1920 x 1440 @ 47.95. This is an atypical format for the Premiere Elements project presets.

And Premiere Elements does not have a 47.95 or 48 frames per second.frame rate.

So, if you drag and drop or use Add Media/Files and Folders, the project is going to give you automatically a 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames

per second project preset, and your footage in the Edit area monitor is going to look like

19201440.JPG

How do you account for the fact that you are shooting 1920 x 1080 @ 48 progressive frames per second and your

import properties within the project are showing 1920 x 1440 @ 47.95 progressive frames per second. My focus here

is on the frame size right now. From what I have read, your camera can record 1920 x 1440 @ 48 progressive frames per second.

The Properties screenshot, presumed from the program read of the file's properties, shows a duration of 8 minutes 32 seconds and

22 frames. What is the total duration of the file before import? Around 13 minutes?

For troubleshooting purposes, If you record at 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second, do you run into these frame size and frame rate and duration issues?

Let us further see how the program is interpreting your video. Please right click the thumbnail of the file in Expert workspace Project Assets

and select Interpret Footage. In the Interpret Footage dialog, what is listed in the Frame Rate section for frame rate of original file. And, in

the Pixel Aspect Ratio of the dialog, what is shown, Square Pixels (1.0) or something else?

I will see if I can find some GoPro Black 3 1920 x 1440 @ 48 progressive frames per second footage with which to work in Premiere Elements.

There are a lot of details to sort through. Looking forward to your help in getting at the whys so that you can move forward with your

projects.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements is cutting large video imports

How do you account for the fact that you are shooting 1920 x 1080 @ 48 progressive frames per second and your

import properties within the project are showing 1920 x 1440 @ 47.95 progressive frames per second.

I was in error. The picture is the correct format. Based on your input and that of a freinds I have changed to 1920x1080 at 60FPS. Going to try an import on that today.

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements is cutting large video imports
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Thanks for the update. Your plan of action sounds good.

Make sure that you (manually) or the project (automatically) set the project preset to

NTSC

AVCHD

AVCHD HD1080p60

When you get to export, consider

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30

then under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of that preset customize the export settings to 1920 x 1080 @ 59.94 progressive

frames per second.

p60.JPG

I generated the screenshot with no media on the Timeline. Just focus on the Video Tab settings.

I mention this, since in the upper part outside the Video Tab information, the Output included mention of "De-interlaced".

That "De-interlaced" will not be there with your video. It will show instead Progressive.

We will be looking forward to your results. Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Best wishes

ATR

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements is cutting large video imports

Thank you ATR. Matching to the project settings has pretty much solved the issues I was seeing.

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements is cutting large video imports
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Thanks for the update with the wonderful news of problem resolved. And, great job in sorting through the troubleshooting

details to gain your success.

Please let us know if you have further questions on this or other Premiere Elements workflows. We are glad for the

opportunity to be of assistance.

Best wishes

ATR