14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2015 2:59 PM by Alexander Eberhard

HDD vs SSHD

Alexander Eberhard Level 1

I am looking for a reliable disc to for export files, backups and stock footage.

I was looking into segates desktop series wheather with or without SSHD. The SSHD comes with 8 GB ssd Cache

Cache.

Do you have any recommendation when it comes to speed and safety?

• 1. Re: HDD vs SSHD
          RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

if you are using this for backups and storage, it doesn't sound like you need the speed? sshd can add to expense and another point of failure. it is also just cache, so if you are accessing/reading alot of random footage files it may not help much. exports and backups dont need speed, but if you are going to be using this as storage to access footage then speed will be a factor. if you are going to be using multiple hdd's you can look into raid. if just one hdd then you need to figure out how much speed you need.  safety is going to be a backup of this hdd. manual backup to an external hdd that can be stored offsite or even online backup services...

right now there is only one rule for storage, dont buy seagate.

The Ultimate Hard Drive Test: What Hard Drive is Best?  can also look thru their blog for other helpful posts.

• 2. Re: HDD vs SSHD
            Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

I have many many Seagate drives they are outstanding.  About five years ago they did have a problem but now days I would not buy anything else.

I agree avoid the SSD cache you do not need it.

• 3. Re: HDD vs SSHD

seagates are fast, but when i look at failure rates i cant recommend. that link is from 2014 stats, so it suggests segate still has some problems. if really still wanting to buy a seagate, can at least look at the failure rates and pick a seagate model that has lower failure rates. if you can show me failure rates from some other report(s) that suggest otherwise i might change my mind. for now, its easier to avoid seagate all-together for having the worst overall failure rates. all hdd's can fail, so even if buying the best, need to have backups in place.

survival.jpg

• 4. Re: HDD vs SSHD

Well my sample is small but I have had no failures on my 20 Seagate's that are now near almost 3 years old.  Any one can produce a chart like that without specifics, I never heard of Backblaze!

• 5. Re: HDD vs SSHD

the specifics are in the link, if you or anyone cares to read. can also find out more about backblaze if you or anyone else cares to from their website. i have no reason to think they have any ties to any hdd company for them to report false information.  the only way i know of this report, is that its been widely covered. in any coverage of this report from this company, i haven't seen any question it... so i have no reason to think its some fake company and/or fake report.  they seem to be one of the only storage data companies to release their reports. i would love to see reports from microsoft, google, apple, facebook, and cdns like akami, but i haven't seen any released stating specifics. if anyone knows of any, please provide!

many people have their stories, good and bad with every brand. many switch to another brand only to find its no better or even worse. i've had failures from multiple brands and i'm not loyal to any of them.  i know any hdd can go at any time, and backups are a must. i still would rather not tempt my fate with a brand that may have higher failure rates.

• 6. Re: HDD vs SSHD

RoninEdits

@Bill Gehrke

Thank you for your comments. I'll definitely will have a look at that page. Personally, I've been very pleased with WD discs but now are running out of space.

• 7. Re: HDD vs SSHD

What is the minimal writing speed for exports when working with various export codes such as H264, DVD or high definition 2K footage? Footage will be fullHD and 2K, 4K. I have export rates from 4 to 100 Mbit/s.

• 8. Re: HDD vs SSHD

Exports are a one time thing and as long as you are willing to wait it is up to you, but I will say the with the new m.2 Samsung XP941 (in a PCIe 4 lane slot) with the 256 GB version I am getting 900 MB/second with my PPBM exporting.

• 9. Re: HDD vs SSHD
                          RjL190365 Level 4

Alexander,

As some others have stated, an SSHD will not help export performance at all since exporting is a "one-time-only" activity. As such, exporting to an SSHD will be as slow as the hard drive portion of it - that is, it is no faster than the 5400 or 7200 RPM HDD that such an SSHD is based on, depending on the model of SSHD. In other words, such occasional-use data never reaches the SSD cache portion of the drive, instead going directly to the spinning HDD portion of it.

• 10. Re: HDD vs SSHD

Thank you, Bill.

M z97 mainboard does not support m2. is there any good alternativ?  What do you need 900 mb/s for export for?! I would have it run OS, cloud and pagefiles on it.

In the end, does an higher writing speed mean higher/faster export times?

• 11. Re: HDD vs SSHD

I have purchased Addonics ADM2PX4 and installed it in my old X58 system and it worked beautifully with no change in performance from the results in my m.2 equipped X99 board.  It is a terrible overkill for OS+.  For that I have the older Samsung 840 Pro drive. 

Exporting of course is write intensive but it also is a great media/project drive

• 12. Re: HDD vs SSHD

Yes, but would my export be much faster too a ssd instead of a HDD?

• 13. Re: HDD vs SSHD

Yes, if your CPU/GPU/RAM are not the bottleneck, your exports will be faster.

• 14. Re: HDD vs SSHD

I will go for the WD 3TB BLACK series which sound very reliable and fast since what I've read so far.