11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2015 6:54 AM by A.T. Romano

Adobe Premiere Serious Error!

Michael Upd8 Level 1

I have recently reinstalled Adobe Premiere 9 on Win Pro7 64 bit (as my old disk was filling up) and every time I open up an old project or try to create a new one I get this error. "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that requires Adobe Premier Elements to shut down.  We will attempt to save your current project.  This in effect renders the software unusable.  I have tried restarting my computer.  Not sure what I can do next!

• 1. Re: Adobe Premiere Serious Error!
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Michael Upd8

Premiere Elements 9 on Windows 7 64 bit.

Lots of questions and answers to put together.

1. Does the problem exist with and without the antivirus and firewall(s) disabled?

2. If you have not already, download and install the 9.0.1 Update (you do not need the program opened for this)

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4929

3. Are you running the computer and program as Administrator?

4. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1?

5. Is your video card/graphics card driver version up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card?

Please confirm name of card and how many from Device Manager/Display Adapters.

6. Delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file, and, if necessary, the whole 9.0 Folder in which it exists.

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 9.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete....and, if necessary, you delete the whole 9.0 Folder in which

it exists. Make sure files, folders, and drives are not hidden. See Folder Options dialog/View Tab and the Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives

option and make sure that it is enabled with a dot.

Let us start here and then decide what next.

ATR

• 2. Re: Adobe Premiere Serious Error!
            Michael Upd8 Level 1

Thanks you.

I first removed Premiere and reinstalled on C:drive (It was on E:). That seemed to stop the error, but when I open a Project now I just get an empty display (see below).

Of your suggestions

1. Done

2. Done (was installed, but had to reinstall following my reinstallation

3. Yes

4. Yes already on latest

5. Nvidia GeForce GT530 - latest drivers already installed

6. Done

• 3. Re: Adobe Premiere Serious Error!
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Michael Updo

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like progress. But more to go.

Very good idea to install to the default location on the Local Disk C.

Was the following the last troubleshooting step you took before you saw the gray screen?

6. Delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file, and, if necessary, the whole 9.0 Folder in which it exists.

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 9.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete....and, if necessary, you delete the whole 9.0 Folder in which

it exists. Make sure files, folders, and drives are not hidden. See Folder Options dialog/View Tab and the Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives

option and make sure that it is enabled with a dot.

If not, please try that again, deleting the whole 9.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists.

Immediately before your latest step which resulted in the gray screen that you show in the screenshot, did you shut down the computer and then restart it?

In the screenshot that you posted, what happens if you click on the File menu, once or twice?

ATR

• 4. Re: Adobe Premiere Serious Error!
                Michael Upd8 Level 1

Still the same problem.  Sometime the project opens.  Other times I get the blanks screen.  Have been deleting the 9.0 folder.  No look.  Not impressed.  I thought this was meant to be professional piece of software.  Tried opening another project and get the Serious Error thing again.  Can you recommend a more reliable editor.  All I wanted was to edit 2 minutes of footage from my camera and I've wasted 30 minute trying to get the program to start.

• 5. Re: Adobe Premiere Serious Error!
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Michael

Thanks for the reply. Sorry that the news was not better.

There are several troubleshooting approaches yet to pursue. But, if you are in a time crunch to get your video edited and out, then consider Movie Maker 2012 which

should already be on your computer. Often, when video footage is problematic for Premiere Elements, a program of choice is the Movie Maker for producing a file

that is Premiere Elements compatible. The output from Movie Maker 2012 can be .wmv or .mp4. This route can be applied to your current situation for your purposes.

If you do have the time and want to try to get Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 on Windows 7 64 bit to work, we could look at

a. getting you new installation files into which to insert your purchased serial number

b. look at uninstalling the antivirus instead of just disabling it

c. creating a new User Account with Administrative Privileges and then installing and trying to run Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 from it.

d. deleting the BadDrivers.txt file found

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 9.0 Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete. The program will generate a new one once you close out of there and

open Premiere Elements. Unless you make sure that Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives is enabled, you are not going

to find BadDrivers.txt file.

Please review and consider. We will await your decision.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Adobe Premiere Serious Error!
                    Michael Upd8 Level 1

Thanks.  For the quick job I used iMovie on my iPad, which took less time than posting on this forum to produce the video!  When I get time I will try your suggestions as I really want to get the software working.

• 7. Re: Adobe Premiere Serious Error!
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Michael

Great news. That iMovie on your iPad turned out to be a life saver. Great job.

When you decide to revisit the Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 Windows issue, we would be glad for the opportunity to be of assistance.

Best wishes.

ATR

• 8. Re: Adobe Premiere Serious Error!
                        Michael Upd8 Level 1

I tried deleting 9.0 again.

Same result the Grey Screen. If I click on the File Menu it asks me if I want to Open or create a new file. If I try to Open the file I just tried to Open (from the start up Window)  then I get this.

Have things to do so will try the other steps when I have time.

• 9. Re: Adobe Premiere Serious Error!
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Michael Upd8

Thanks for the follow up.

Looking forward to your completing the suggested troubleshooting as your schedule permits.

After we sort out what factors in or out of the problem, then we can decide what other troubleshooting opportunities should be explored.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Adobe Premiere Serious Error!
                            Michael Upd8 Level 1

ATR,

I tried everything on the list.  In the end is appears that the solution is switching off the Real Time Scanning in McAfee.  Now that seems to be the cause I Googled it and it seems to be a recognised issue with these two programs.  Rather than remove McAfee I can set it to stop scanning until I restart.  That means I can edit videos, but I then have the full protection the rest of the time.

Thank you for your help and patience.

Michael

• 11. Re: Adobe Premiere Serious Error!
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Michael

Thanks for the update. Great job identifying the antivirus issue and dealing with it.

The antivirus and firewall(s) are frequently involved in Premiere Elements issues. McAfee frequently is the antivirus at the core. That is why I typically start

the troubleshooting questions seeking to rule in or out antivirus and firewall(s) factor at the onset.

Your follow up is helpful to all in a similar situation as the one you faced.

Best wishes as you move forward with your Premiere Elements projects.

ATR