6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2007 2:28 AM by the real POTMO

Control 100 TFT

Level 7
      Hello:

I have no too much information yet but what I know now is to control about
      100 tactile TFT´s.
      The application in Lingo show in each TFT one different picture, the user
      touch one of this TFT and something happens.
      Do you know what devices I need to do this?
      Or is better to control by network? In that case, what Xtras or devices I
      need?

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Control 100 TFT
          Level 7
          What is a TFT?

"Anne" <anmalo42@lycos.es> wrote in message
          news:eru9ec$jq1$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hello:
          >
          > I have no too much information yet but what I know now is to control about
          > 100 tactile TFT´s.
          > The application in Lingo show in each TFT one different picture, the user
          > touch one of this TFT and something happens.
          > Do you know what devices I need to do this?
          > Or is better to control by network? In that case, what Xtras or devices I
          > need?
          >
          > Thanks in advance
          >

• 2. Re: Control 100 TFT
            Level 7
            "tr" <timmr3-nospam-@excite.com> posted in macromedia.director.lingo:

> What is a TFT?

Thin Film Transistor. Basically what all - or most - modern digital "LCD"
            monitors are using.

However, it is not clear from Anne's post whether this is a monitor, 100
            monitors, or some other rig.

If it's a monitor then I'm sure there are touchscreens that will fit the
            bill.

If it is some other rig, she'll probably need to contact the manufacturer to
            see what type of signal is sent - to a computer? - to an interface between it
            and a computer? Serial Comm Port? USB? Parallel?

Does it emulate a mouse? a keyboard? Simple low-to-high voltage change on a
            wire? Is there a software API available - ActiveX? - Xtra?...

In other words, if it's not a monitor, there's not enough information to go
            on yet.

--
            Mark A. Boyd
            Keep-On-Learnin' :)
            • 3. Re: Control 100 TFT
              johnAq Level 1
              Sounds like 100 touchscreens, each with a different picture, each acting as a single button. When you touch a screen/image/button - 'something happens'.

So for a start, you need 100 computers to feed 100 touchscreens. Each will most likely be running a projector

If the 'something' which happens is contained to the screen that was touched, then the projector can deal with this.

If 'something' is external - for example, a big screen displays the image that was touched, then you need the computers to all be on a network and use MultiUser Server, or Flash Communication Server, some other kind of server side application

hth

johnAq
              • 4. Re: Control 100 TFT
                Level 7
                "johnAq" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> posted in
                macromedia.director.lingo:

> So for a start, you need 100 computers to feed 100 touchscreens. Each
                > will most likely be running a projector

I hadn't even considered that possibility. 100 screens scattered about a
                trade show, hotel, class room, various locations around the world, etc...

As you suggested, the MultiUser Server/Flash Communication Server concept
                would be the way to go.

--
                Mark A. Boyd
                Keep-On-Learnin' :)
                • 5. Re: Control 100 TFT
                  Level 7
                  Thank you very much:
                  Maybe multiuser Xtras (and server) works for this project
                  thanks again

• 6. Re: Control 100 TFT
                    the real POTMO
                    you can probably use two screens per computer of more but youll have to connect them in a local area network in some way and let all applications communicate with eachother. I Suggest you use a flash sprite in your shockwave movie comunnicationg with a socketserver (my experience is thats its faster than the multiuser xtra).