14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2015 9:39 AM by A.T. Romano

Video playing faster than audio in Adobe Premiere Elements 13

dlinik

I recently purchased Adobe Premiere Elements 13. I have Windows 8.1, 64 bit, laptop. I am new to all of this so I am lost. Whenever I import on of my videos from my computer and play it in the program, the video is playing like 5 x faster than the video audio. I don't know how to fix it. It does this matter what video I import. And I am trying to import Mp4 by the way. Please please help! I am shocked I could not find the answer to this by just googling it.

• 1. Re: Video playing faster than audio in Adobe Premiere Elements 13
          A.T. Romano Level 7

dlinik

Premiere Elements 13 on Windows 8.1 64 bit

What is the brand/model/settings for the camera that recorded the video? All we have so far is that the file has an .mp4 file extension and

"It does this matter what video I import"

I could refer you to properties read out programs to get that information, but having the answer to brand/model/settings question might be quicker. What other

video formats have you looked at?

Given you take one of your .mp4 into Premiere Elements project. After you have it on the Expert workspace Project Assets

a. Right click the thumbnail of the video there, select Properties, and tell us what you see in terms of frame size and frame rate especially.

b. If you go to Edit Menu/Project Settings/General, what are the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, Pixel Aspect Ratio (even if

they look grayed out).

Let us focus on the details of your specific situation. The answers will be in your specific details.

Questions and answers need to be put together to get to plot troubleshooting strategy.

We will be watching for your details to help us help you.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Video playing faster than audio in Adobe Premiere Elements 13
            dlinik Level 1

This message was originally HTML formatted.  View in a HTML capable client to see the original version.\r\n\r\n   Hello, I use my webcam on my laptop. My laptop is a Toshiba,  and its a Model C55D-B. And I just use the camera app on my laptop to record the videos and it automatically makes them a .mp4 . I hope this helps. Image size of the video is 1280 x 720, Frame rate is 23.59. Editing mode is HD 1080i. Timebase is 29.97 frames/second. Frame size is 1920 horizontal, 1080 vertical. Pixel Aspect Ratio is Square Pixels (1.0) dlinik -

Original Message -

From: "A.T. Romano" forums_noreply@adobe.com Sent: 2/15/2015 4:43:30 PM Subject:   Video playing faster than audio in Adobe Premiere Elements 13        Video playing faster than audio in Adobe Premiere Elements 13   created by A.T. Romano in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion   dlinik Premiere Elements 13 on Windows 8.1 64 bit What is the brand/model/settings for the camera that recorded the video? All we have so far is that the file has an .mp4 file extension and "It does this matter what video I import" I could refer you to properties read out programs to get that information, but having the answer to brand/model/settings question might be quicker. What other video formats have you looked at?  Given you take one of your .mp4 into Premiere Elements project. After you have it on the Expert workspace Project Assets a. Right click the thumbnail of the video there, select Properties, and tell us what you see in terms of frame size and frame rate especially. b. If you go to Edit Menu/Project Settings/General, what are the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, Pixel Aspect Ratio (even if they look grayed out). Let us focus on the details of your specific situation. The answers will be in your specific details. Questions and answers need to be put together to get to plot troubleshooting strategy. We will be watching for your details to help us help you. Thank you. ATR  If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7197007#7197007 and clicking Correct below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:  Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7197007#7197007 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right,  "Stop Following"  Start a new discussion in Premiere Elements by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

• 3. Re: Video playing faster than audio in Adobe Premiere Elements 13
              A.T. Romano Level 7

dlinik

Thanks for the reply. You have a mismatch with your source properties and the project preset that is automatically being set by the project based on the properties of the first dragged video to the project's Timeline. Let us see if that is your issue. If that does not resolve the problem, then we need to look deeper into your webcam and its video and audio output.

1. Open Premiere Elements 13 to its Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings.

2. In Change Settings, set the project preset to

NTSC

AVCHD

AVCHD LITE 720p24

Click OK to exit that area

In the new project dialog that you will see next, make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting On this Project".

Click OK to exit that area.

3. Back in the Expert workspace, click on Add Media/Files and Folders/ to get your video into Project Assets from where you drag the video

to the project's Timeline.

4. When you get to export, please use

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4-HD 720p24

Please let us know the outcome.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Video playing faster than audio in Adobe Premiere Elements 13
                dlinik Level 1

This message was originally HTML formatted.  View in a HTML capable client to see the original version.\r\n\r\n   Hello, I did as you instructed and it made no difference. The audio is still ahead of the video when I press play in Premiere Elements 13.

• 5. Re: Video playing faster than audio in Adobe Premiere Elements 13
                  dlinik Level 1

This message was originally HTML formatted.  View in a HTML capable client to see the original version.\r\n\r\n   I just imported a .MOV file and the audio and video were synced just fine. Hmm this is weird. I wonder why it doesn't like mp .mp4 files

• 7. Re: Video playing faster than audio in Adobe Premiere Elements 13
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

dlinik

Thanks for the replies. Great news about the .mov files.

Please evaluate your situation a bit more to determine if the .mp4 problem was due

a. one or a batch of .mp4 from the same camera

b. all .mp4 from this one camera

c. all files with the .mp4 file extension from any source

In evaluating "c", always note the video compression that goes with the file extension. Files that use the .mp4 file extension

could be using different video compression. And, it just might be the case where the specific combination of video compression and

file extension is creating the problem. Lots of possibilities to rule in or out.

Best wishes

ATR

• 8. Re: Video playing faster than audio in Adobe Premiere Elements 13
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>wonder why it doesn't like mp .mp4 files

Codec tutorial on Vimeo https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1567965

MP4 is a wrapper, what is inside YOUR wrapper - Exactly what is INSIDE the video you are editing?

Codec & Format information, with 2 links inside for you to read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1070933 for screen shot instructions

Free programs to get file information for PC/Mac http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

Does your video use a VARIABLE Frame Rate or a Constant Frame Rate?

• 9. Re: Video playing faster than audio in Adobe Premiere Elements 13
                        dlinik Level 1

This message was originally HTML formatted.  View in a HTML capable client to see the original version.\r\n\r\n   Alright now I am starting to think the file format is not the problem. Because I just tried to film a webcam video within Premiere Elements 13 and when I played it back it was out of sync. So obviously something is wrong with my webcam. But I don't understand what because when I record with the camera app on my computer and upload the file to YouTube it plays on YouTube just fine. I don't know if you can help me at this point, but I am think that the file type may not be the problem.

• 10. Re: Video playing faster than audio in Adobe Premiere Elements 13
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

dlinik

Let us look at this from another troubleshooting angle and then decide if it all comes together.

Some cameras record the video using a variable instead of a constant frame rate across the duration of the video. Often this is the camera set to respond automatically to differences in lighting. Do you know if your web cam records with a variable frame rate as does many devices, such as cell phones? Often Premiere Elements does not fare well with video recorded with a variable frame rate. The problem can extend from out of sync audio on the Timeline in the program or not being able to import the file at all.

Have you ever worked with a free program named HandBrake? That can take your .mp4 into HandBrake and export it as H.264.mp4 with a constant instead of a variable frame rate.

https://handbrake.fr/

If that export works in Premiere Elements, then the suggestion is that the variable frame rate of the web cam product is involved. Another way might be to download and install the properties reader MediaInfo which will show three frame rates for the video instead of one if the frame rate is variable instead of constant.

Please review and consider and see what you can find out about the type of frame rate before we make any troubleshooting decisions. MediaInfo would give us valuable information but its download and install deposit unwanted software on your computer. HandBrake is quick and easy, and I have not yet had any problems with its download and install of it.

ATR

• 11. Re: Video playing faster than audio in Adobe Premiere Elements 13
                            dlinik Level 1

This message was originally HTML formatted.  View in a HTML capable client to see the original version.\r\n\r\n   I am sorry to report that I downloaded Handbrake and did the conversion, still with the same result. The video and audio are still out of sync. Any other suggestions? I appreciate all the help you have given me thus far

• 12. Re: Video playing faster than audio in Adobe Premiere Elements 13
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

dlinik

Thank for the follows ups. Appreciated.

When you import the video to the Timeline and observe that the audio is out of sync with the video, is there an orange line over the Timeline content?

If so, click on the Render button above the Timeline, and determine if the Timeline rendering results in preview of the video now in sync with the audio.

I am going to be calling it a day. I will revisit your thread later in the morning to watch for further developments. I will have more comments at that time.

ATR

• 13. Re: Video playing faster than audio in Adobe Premiere Elements 13
                                dlinik Level 1

This message was originally HTML formatted.  View in a HTML capable client to see the original version.\r\n\r\n   Nope, no orange line. There was a yellowish line going through my video if that means anything. I rendered the video to see if that would help but it didn't make a difference

• 14. Re: Video playing faster than audio in Adobe Premiere Elements 13
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

dlinik

Thanks for the reply.

Is there any question that there was any sort of problem converting the file's frame rate to a constant one in HandBrake? Should you try that again?

If all else does not succeed, is it feasible to unlink the audio and video (right click file, select Unlink Audio and Video from pop up menu that appears), and then

nudge the audio and video into sync..

As you hold down Alt key and tap the right or left arrow key once.....1 tap of the arrow key = 1 frame movement right or left

As you hold down Shift+Alt and tap the right or left arrow key once...1 tap of the arrow key = 5 frames movement right or left

I will think about this some more.

ATR