19 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2015 4:03 AM by TheStijg

Question-mark comes back

TheStijg

Through LR5 I created a new folder on an external drive and moved the photos to the new folder, but every time I re-launch LR the question-mark appears - even after synchronizing the folder.

• 1. Re: Question-mark comes back
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is the external drive connected? And, does it have the same name or drive letter as it did before?

• 2. Re: Question-mark comes back
            TheStijg Level 1

Yes it is connected and when I synchronize the question-mark disappears (until I re-launch LR). It seems LR has difficulties finding the folder, but when I look for it and click on it, the question-mark is gone - for the time being.

• 3. Re: Question-mark comes back
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

LR is having a hard time seeing that external drive. That could be a LR glitch, an OS glitch or the actual drive is faulty, slow, loses connection to the computer.

In the Library module that external drive should be listed on the left hand side. If it is greyed out that mean LR isn't connecting to it at startup of the program. If you let it sit for a few seconds to a minute or 2 do the ? marks go away?

Open the File manager program for the OS you are using, Win Explorer for Windows or Finder for OS X, and take a look at that external drive. Are the photo you supposedly moved really there?

• 4. Re: Question-mark comes back
                TheStijg Level 1

Yes the photos are physically in the new folder on the external drive. After doing the above-mentioned steps, I can adjust the photos in the Development module.

• 5. Re: Question-mark comes back
                  TheStijg Level 1

To be more precise: the problem occurs when I re-start my MacBook.

• 6. Re: Question-mark comes back

I cannot replicate your problem on my computer (Windows 7). I have images on an external drive that had been there for months. They are still accessible. The only suggestion I have would be for you to delete your preferences file so that Lightroom can create a new one, and see if that resolves the issue.

Preference and other file locations in Lightroom 5

• 7. Re: Question-mark comes back
                      TheStijg Level 1

Thanks Jim, but what exactly do you mean with "preferences file"? I am testing from my MacBook (to do the real job on my iMac), so I am more than willing to "experiment".

• 8. Re: Question-mark comes back

TheStijg wrote:

To be more precise: the problem occurs when I re-start my MacBook.

And there is the problem. Mac OS X has always taken a period of time to see and Mount external drives. When I used a Mac I needed to wait what seemed forever for an external drive to show up in Finder and or on the desktop. Some times I even had to go into Disk Utility and Mount the drive manually so it was accessible fairly quickly. At times I would need to disconnect the drive and then reconnect it for it to even show up in Disk Utility.

Is this a USB power external drive, IE No separate AC power supply?  Those are even worse as before OS X can mount the drive the Mac Firmware has to make the USB ports active and then wait for the drive to spin up to full speed.

• 9. Re: Question-mark comes back

Locate your preferences file. You can find it with the link I provided in my previous answer. When you find that file you can delete it and then start Lightroom again. A new preferences file will be generated.

• 10. Re: Question-mark comes back
                            TheStijg Level 1

Yes, it is an USB power external drive (WD). Is there any solution? I cannot believe I am the only one in the world.. ;-)

• 11. Re: Question-mark comes back

TheStijg wrote:

Yes, it is an USB power external drive (WD). Is there any solution? I cannot believe I am the only one in the world.. ;-)

You aren't. But most just learn to live with the delay.

It's one of those experiences that make using a Mac so much fun and rewarding. You do realize I'm being a bit facetious.

• 12. Re: Question-mark comes back

TheStijg wrote:

Yes get yourself an AC powered drive and use the USB powered model for something else.

With an AC powered drive as soon as the system makes the USB ports active the drive will spin up faster as it doesn't have to wait for the limited amount of power supplied by the USB ports. This should make it easier for OS X to see the drive and mount it.

• 13. Re: Question-mark comes back
                                  TheStijg Level 1

I have a WD MyBook which has a power adapter. Is that what you mean and would Firewire be a better option?

• 14. Re: Question-mark comes back

TheStijg wrote:

I have a WD MyBook which has a power adapter. Is that what you mean and would Firewire be a better option?

Yes a AC Power Adapter. Is this the same drive you spoke of in your earlier post that you said was USB powered?

2 completely different animals.

USB powered external drives are notebook size drives which draw less power than full size desktop drives.

Apple Mac notebooks are notorious for limiting the power supplied by the USB ports and in some cases to properly power up these USB powered drives you need a Y USB cable that connects to 2 different USB ports at the same time.

• 15. Re: Question-mark comes back
                                      TheStijg Level 1

Sorry for the confusion. The external drive I mentioned is the same drive with external power. A WD MyBook with AC adapter to be precise.

• 16. Re: Question-mark comes back

Then you'll just have to get use to waiting for the drive to show up in the OS before you start using LR. Once you boot your Mac do something else on it like check your email or something. Then when the drive actually shows up start LR.

• 17. Re: Question-mark comes back
                                          TheStijg Level 1

I have testing with different configurations and this is my conclusion:

- External drive connected to iMac through USB cable: everything works in LR (NO questions marks)

- External drive connected to MacBook through wireless network: does not work properly (question marks).

• 18. Re: Question-mark comes back

What do you mean by "Through Wireless Network". I'm confused you first said the external drive is connected to the MBP. Now it seems you are saying the external drive is connected to your iMac and you are accessing it across your LAN from the MBP through the MBP's Wireless card.

When connecting to an external drive connected to some other computer over a network (LAN) you will always have a "SLOW" connection, especially wirelessly. First the Mac has to start then it has to access the LAN, IE make its own connection to the LAN, then search out Mapped network drives to see if they are still available and then connect to them (Which in my experience with Mac OS X is not the best. Usually I had to actually manually connect to other computers and Mount the drive I was trying to access).

If this is what you have been doing the whole time you should of stated that from the start. Your original post suggests the WD external drive was connected directly to one of the MBPs USB ports. Which now seem not to be the case. No wonder you are getting the ? mark.

• 19. Re: Question-mark comes back
                                              TheStijg Level 1

I started to try different configurations (MBP) because it first did not work with my iMac. But now it works with my iMac (still connected with cable to external drive) and I think it is because I first moved the files to an external drive through Finder instead of the Library of LR. At least this is the way I remember it.