5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2015 7:43 AM by A.T. Romano

reducing 1920 x1080  to 720x480

adobenewbie123 Level 1

We just had a 2 canera interview shoot and did not realize our second camera was shooting in standard definition,  720x480.  Realized the issue when I dragged the files in Adobe Premeire Elements 10 for the first time and Adove wanted to change the project settings to. DV NTSC 720x480.  So fine, can live with editing the interview in that frame size. The problem is that when i introduce the 1920 x 1080 footage from the second camera into my 720x480 project setting,  the frame gets leterboxed and thus does not match up to footage from the stabdard camera, which is not letterboxed. Any advice on how best to handle this situation. In the end, we just want consistency between the two video outputs.

Thanks everybody for your time and insight.

• 1. Re: reducing 1920 x1080  to 720x480
          A.T. Romano Level 7

adobenewbie123

What did you record 720 x 480 4:3 or 720 x 480 16:9 Widescreen. As a reminder, they both are described 720 x 480 but the widescreen includes a 16:9 flag that

stretches the video for display after encoding (to about 856 x 480).

So, if you have 720 x 480 16:9, then you should be setting your project preset as NTSC DV Widescreen and not NTSC DV Standard. Could we be that lucky? Then

no letterboxing of the 1920 x 1080 when you import that into the project. If you did record NTSC Standard and are using the NTSC DV Standard project preset, then what does scaling of the 1920 x 1080 into the 720 x 480 space look like. If you try this, do this with Default Scale to Frame Size unchecked so that you have more flexibility in the this scaling operation.

Please consider.

ATR

• 2. Re: reducing 1920 x1080  to 720x480
            adobenewbie123 Level 1

Hey ATR,

So sorry that I left our what was probably the most important piece of info,  the aspect ratio.  We mistakenly recorded at 4:3 instead of 16:9. That being said, we are still  okay with the entire project being in 4-3 but only if we can include the cuts of the 1080 footage scaled down and as of now, when it it gets scaled down to that standard size frame, we get the letterbox bars. Any possibility if overcoming the problem by exporting the 1080 footage from a separate project setting in Adobe to some sort of standard format and then importing that file in with the 720x480 4:3 footage from the second camera?   Or is there any way to convert the 4:3 footage to widescreen which would allow for an Adobe project setting  that does not letterbox the high definition files.  Just to clarify,  the letterboxing looks like black bars at the top and bottom.

• 3. Re: reducing 1920 x1080  to 720x480
              A.T. Romano Level 7

adobenewbie123

Thanks for the reply.

As I wrote previously

If you did record NTSC Standard and are using the NTSC DV Standard project preset, then what does scaling of the 1920 x 1080 into the 720 x 480 space look like. If you try this, do this with Default Scale to Frame Size unchecked so that you have more flexibility in the this scaling operation.

As case in point....I am doing a project with a Premiere Elements HD 16:9 project preset and exporting segments of the Timeline to a video to be inserted in a blog post. That blog offers only a 4:3 player. So, I decided to export my Timeline 16:9 segment with a 4:3 export preset. The first segment looked great in the blog. But, when I did the same thing for another segment which contained different effects, the effects were all over the place going from 16:9 Timeline where they looked great to 4:3 export where they were messed up.

I know what letterboxing offers, and you do get the whole image in with the black borders at the top and bottom.

What I was suggesting via the scaling route, is getting rid of the black borders at the expense of the some of the unnecessary frame content. At this point, I am not seeing another way, except if you can find a way to use the 1920 x 1080 as picture in picture type in the 4:3 frame.

By the way,  that scaling your way out of the situation is not new. It can be seen mentioned for this type of thing elsewhere online.

Please think it over. Please let me know if you need clarification on what the scaling to get rid of black borders does.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: reducing 1920 x1080  to 720x480
                adobenewbie123 Level 1

Hey ATR,

Thanks so much for the insight!   To help deal  with the root of this issue,  we found some software that converted our 4:3 video to 16:9.  Once the aspect ratio became  consistent,  both camera clips  looked the same  in the timeline of a 720 x 480  16:9 project setting in Adobe.

• 5. Re: reducing 1920 x1080  to 720x480
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

adobenewbie123

Thanks for the update with the good news that you worked out the details for your aspect ratio consistent video. Great job.

I am still in the decision process of deciding which way to go with the 4:3 blog player and my Premiere Elements project settings

and export settings.

Best wishes

ATR