3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2015 4:02 PM by johnt53984649

Imperative Disk Cache and SSDs; Just how much writing is happening?

johnt53984649 Level 2

When I enable the disk cache in After Effects CC 2014, I notice that lots and lots of files begin to pile up, almost immediately.  Just today, after using After Effects for just a few minutes, I had 23GB of over 7000 files pile up (23GB was the limit that After Effects put on the Disk Cache).  The disk cache that I'm using is on an SSD, which is the same SSD that the source footage is on.  Here is my problem;

When the Disk Cache hits its size limit (as in, for this case, 23GB) what happens at that limit?  Does that mean that After Effects will continue to write new files and delete old ones in the Disk Cache location (allowing it to stay at the size limit of 23 GB) or does it stay at a constant 23 GB, never changing (so there are no writes happening)?  On the other hand, why do so many files pile up so quickly when using After Effects?  What are the most notable problems of not having the Disk Cache enabled in the first place?

Remember, I'm using an SSD.  If this many writes are happening so often when using the After Effects Disk Cache, I might just turn it off.  The longevity of this particular SSD is imperative, so I need to do everything I can to minimize the amount of writes that happen to the SSD while using After Effects and simultaneously maximizing its performance.  To sum everything up, here are my main points reiterated:

• When using a size limit on the Disk Cache, do new writes continue to occur after that size limit has been reached (and then deleting old files) or does it just keep all of the same files to stay at the size limit?
      • If the former, which I find likely, should I even use the Disk Cache in the first place?  It's not a matter of digital space that I'm worried about losing, but the number of writes that After Effects is forcing the drive to undergo that I'm concerned with.
      • What can I do to minimize writes to the drive and maximize performance?
      • Should I even use the Disk Cache in the first place?
        • 1. Re: Imperative Disk Cache and SSDs; Just how much writing is happening?
          johnt53984649 Level 2

I didn't think about it, I should probably list my specs:

5960X CPU

x2 NVIDIA Geforce GTX 970 Graphics Cards

32 GB DDR4 RAM

1TB Samsung 850 Pro (Not Boot Drive)

This information is pretty important for me to know.  I need to be sure that I preserve my SSD, but I don't know the importance of the Disk Cache when I have as much RAM as I do.

• 2. Re: Imperative Disk Cache and SSDs; Just how much writing is happening?
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

wastingyourlifeaway wrote:

Why do so many files pile up so quickly when using After Effects?

Because AE creates a cache for every layer. That way, if you have 100 layers in your comp, but you change one, it doesn't have to rerender stuff for every single layer, just the one that changed. In theory, this makes AE perform much faster.

• 3. Re: Imperative Disk Cache and SSDs; Just how much writing is happening?
              johnt53984649 Level 2

I see.  But is there some way that I can use it and minimize writes?  Unfortunately, with my current setup, I pretty much have to write to the same SSD as my footage (I'm not willing to make continuous writes on the boot disk (C drive)).  For example, if I limit the size to 1GB, would it still be making a lot more writes but simply deleting other files to keep the maximum size the same?  Basically, my concern is that the same amount of writes will happen regardless of the maximum size that I make the Disk Cache because once that size limit is reached it will just delete other files and continue writing.

• Since these are SSDs, does it matter that the footage and the Media Cache are on the same drive?
              • What can I do to minimize writing if I do use the Disk Cache?