1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 16, 2015 7:19 AM by JimHess

Huge Problem When Create New Lightroom Catalog

dynamics5

When I created new Lightroom catalogs, I did not notice that it asks where to save it.  So, it saved the catalogs in "Documents".  Now it seems I have two copies of the following:

- The Lrcat files appear in Documents and on my external drive in a file labeled LRFILES

-  The original raw files downloaded from the camera appears in Documents and my external drive in a file labeled ORIGINALS

I trashed the Lrcat files and the originals in Documents.  I was surprised to see that the Lrcat files and original raw files ALSO disappeared (from external storage). Why, how did that happen?

I recovered the Lrcat files and original raw files and loaded them back onto the external storage.  They appeared in Documents!  Why, how did that happen?

I tried to relink my Lightroom pictures with the Lrcat file on the external drive.  I can do it one at a time.  It  does not locate all the other ones even though they are all in same file, like what usually happens.

Goal is to relink all pictures with the originals on the external drive so I can get rid of the duplicate files under "Documents".  How can that be done?

• 1. Re: Huge Problem When Create New Lightroom Catalog
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't understand why you are creating so many different catalogs. In most instances, Lightroom is much easier to manage when using a single catalog. When you use the import dialog you need to take care to specify the destination folder where you are going to download. It's all controlled in the right-hand panel of the import dialog. Ideally, you should be working with a single catalog, and choosing a destination folder on your external hard drive if that is where you want to store your images.